Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 84,960 times

Advertisements

So, I'm currently renting a house in a pretty nice area and I just noticed a for rent sign in my neighbor. I happen to stop by as the owner was there, and the place is pretty much just like my house. Same floor plan, but the rent is $50 less than what I'm currently pay.

So, my question to you is, would you move to save $50/month?
If not, how much of a savings would you need to make a move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDatak View Post
So, I'm currently renting a house in a pretty nice area and I just noticed a for rent sign in my neighbor. I happen to stop by as the owner was there, and the place is pretty much just like my house. Same floor plan, but the rent is $50 less than what I'm currently pay.

Its' common sense..I would move for $51 saving and not for less.

Again, is $50 enough of saving for you and then do it..why ask public opinion??

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
As is the answer to many, many things: it depends.

$50 relative to what? A $500 a month place where your gross is 40K a year? Or a $5,000 a month place where you make $250K+? "A pretty nice area" is also a relative term.

To some people, saving $600 a year would be huge and worth a move if they can get some friends to help them out. For others, it's just not worth the hassle relative to their time (and especially if you had to pay for any movers).

Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,529 times
hmm $600 bucks a year? well-first I would call my landlord and ask if he would match it- and go from there based on his response. But me personally?-no

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Depends on the costs associated with moving, I guess. It wouldn't be worth it to me, especially if I liked where I was and found the landlord and my neighbors to be decent -- too much risk and not enough benefits. There may be benefits to the move, but financially speaking, you could easily end up spending that saved money just on all those things that come along with a move, even if you do it all yourself.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Having been in a situation where $50 means a lot, yes I would. I guess it all depends on how much you have to live on each month and if it would give you breathing room.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I am moving in August to save about as much - my rent is going up so I will probably move closer to work. The rent itself might be higher, but the shorter commute time and less money in gas would be a big saver.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Before anything I would double check to make sure the same utilities and comforts are included in the new place versus the old, make sure to check on the parking space situation.
If you pay electric, look at the appliances, old appliances may add up to a higher electric bill and erode some of your savings.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDatak View Post

With the cost of setting up new services etc. Figure out how long it would take you to re-coop that 50.00 month. If it costs 300 in changing phone, cable, internet, etc...it might take you 6 mths to even see the 50 mth. So, by then they may raise the rent. If your house works, you like the neighborhood...I might pass, and stay put. Just hope you get some good new neighbors!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
It depends on what other costs you will incur (or save) and other factors:
- Shorter commute?
- Closer to your kid(s)' school? (if appliable)
- Better neighborhood (in your eyes)

And then of course (like a previous poster mentioned): if you are saving on other commuting costs like gas, tolls, paying for parking, etc - the savings may be greater than $50 anyway.

For me, if the sum total of the savings was $50 and all else was held equal - I think the cost of moving (truck, boxes, buying friends' lunch for helping out, etc) would likely take over a year to recoup. I would not do it, unless the "other intangible factors" were really worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance