Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

The 401K should still be there as an "insurace" against the worst case scenario - if his business suddenly fails one day and he needs a dependable source of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
My question is, if you build a business and it is successful, would you still contribute to the 401k?
It depends. If I could invest the money in my business and get a better return I'd be inclined to go that route. It would also depend on the volatility of my business, if it were a situation where it might be here today, gone tomorrow, I would certainly look at putting some of my investments someplace a little more stable.

Bottom line, it's all about diversity.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
That could be as bad as the guy who invests his 401k in his companies stock.

If anything happens to the company you lost your job and your money.

The way even successful business's fail your retirement savings and business should be 2 different things.

The whole idea is while you are working for your money either in your business or on a job your investments your money working for you passively.

That is a very important concept to get.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am not saving to be poor.
I am saving to support a retired lifestyle.

I consider my savings to be buying me time . . . the most precious commodity

Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I consider my savings to be buying me time . . . the most precious commodity
I'm saving to increase my number of options, not to limit them.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That could be as bad as the guy who invests his 401k in his companies stock.

If anything happens to the company you lost your job and your money.

The way even successful business's fail your retirement savings and business should be 2 different things.

The whole idea is while you are working for your money either in your business or on a job your investments your money working for you passively.

That is a very important concept to get.
People ask what's $1. You know they spend a $1 on a lottery ticket, a cup of coffee, a newspaper, a hot dog. Well, to get that $1, they had to earn it and earning requires the payment of taxes, so let's say the tax rate is 25%, Joe needed to earn $1.25 to get that $1 in his pocket. Now, that same $1 spent on a daily basis amounts to $365 in any given year - $365 invested at 5% for 40 years equals $2,569.80. Now, increase the annual investment return to 7% and that same $365 becomes worth $5,469, more than double the return for less than half of the percentage of the first example (1/2 of 5% is 2.5%). That is what the lever of time and compounded returns can do for you. The later you start - the more difficult to grow your money - you either have to increase your savings and returns or some combination of the two.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
When you contribute to a 401k you are actually saving to be poor. Meaning, you are saving because you know you will have a loss of income when you retire so you save.
Well, you get a tax write off when you contribute to a 401k, so the simple fact that you are saving in a 401k lowers your current taxable income. A regular IRA does the same. It also makes the assumptions that you don't understand the time value of money, compounding, and that you will magically be able to see the future well enough to make a guess about your health, job prospects, and income when you are older than 65!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
I think of it as paying my future self. If you think of it as saving to be poor you already lost the battle.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,426 times
Quote:
I heard an interesting comment. When you contribute to a 401k you are actually saving to be poor. Meaning, you are saving because you know you will have a loss of income when you retire so you save.
Thats the funniest thing I heard all week. Last I check 401K is tax deffered and I can put money in there that grows over time. And guess what, if I put more money in there, like up to $17.5K, it will grow even faster. Its gets better, if I max out my ROTH IRA, all the investments grow even faster, tax free. And if my wife does the same, thing, then our money grows even faster. Its amazing if you do the math, ($25K + $11k = $36K per year annually growing at 8% average annually per year)! I didn't even include company match for wife and husband either. Swwweeeeeettttttttt. Forget CNBC, I choose this option.

You have to think long term. long term long term. People worrying about what Obama doing. Who cares! Keep things simple, don't go buying stocks trying to be the next Warren Buffet, it ain't going to happen cause you dont have as much money as Warren Buffet. Follow Dave Ramesy baby steps. Read Jack Bogle investment book. Easy. Think easy and simple.

I was fully invested at age 28 in 2008. I was happy as a bumblebee when the market crash. Best year of life so far, increased my savings two times during that time. kept my allocation (100% stocks at the time) up until now. Long term, think long term if you are young. Stop worrying on SS and this and that. All you gotta do is make sure you save. And, if you maxing out 401K (do $17.5k if you can) and ROTH IRA, and you only have a mortgage payment at 15 year less than 4% and emergency fund, you just like Lil Wayne (I ain't got no worry) That's it man. Thats all you have to do. You ain't got money for vacation, oh well. Find a way to increase income!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
I heard an interesting comment. When you contribute to a 401k you are actually saving to be poor. Meaning, you are saving because you know you will have a loss of income when you retire so you save.

My question is, if you build a business and it is successful, would you still contribute to the 401k?
I don't have a 401K -- we have SEP-IRAs and IRAs. And we fully contribute each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance