Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I've heard many financial people say that it's better to pay less in taxes all year (and use that money in the way you decide) than to pay higher income taxes all year and then get a "windfall" every year in a tax return. I just heard Dave Ramsey mention this idea again a few minutes ago on the radio. He told the caller "If you're getting $6,000 back in a tax return, you need to adjust your withholding."

But I routinely get between $5000-$6000 back each year (mostly from federal, and a little from the state), and I believe my withholding is "adjusted" as low as it can go (single with zero exemptions).

I don't mind getting this little windfall every February, but I see it would be better if I could just pay less all year and maybe invest that money or at least get a little interest on it. But the way I see it, there's no way I can do that. Am I missing something? I do have a CPA do my tax returns every year, and I'll certainly ask him. But I'm kind of certain he would have advised me on this already if there was something that should change.

I'm sure my payroll dept isn't just going to agree to withhold less from each of my checks because I tell them how much I give to charities, or how much interest I pay on my mortgage! I know some people might claim X number of dependents all year, and then get money back at the end of the year because they don't have that many dependents. But I can't see the logic in that, unless I considered myself untrustworthy with my own money and need the government to hold it for me. So those people, I agree, should adjust their withholding downward. But me?

So is Dave wrong on this? Are all those other people who say this wrong too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
"Tax return" is a very stupid policy. Probably only a few countries in the world do this.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Good point, but probably for another thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
He told the caller "If you're getting $6,000 back in a tax return, you need to adjust your withholding."

But I routinely get between $5000-$6000 back each year (mostly from federal, and a little from the state), and I believe my withholding is "adjusted" as low as it can go (single with zero exemptions).
Nope Dave isn't wrong on this. Why give the government an interest free loan? Better for you to get less taken out each year and you can save/invest it.

You have it backwards. Instead of putting 0 exemptions....increase your exemptions #. The more exemptions you put, the less taxes they take out. Even if you don't have kids, you can list a higher exemptions # and they will take out less each paycheck.

Ask your payroll department to help you calculate what the correct # will be for you to get enough taken out where you won't get a big refund but not too many where you need to pay in.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Ah, I see. I was thinking backward. I was thinking the people who claimed made-up kids were trying to get a big return.

But then how would my charitable contributions fit in? I like to give a decent amount to charities every year, so I'll still expect to get a return on those, right?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
This gets into the psychology of getting a big refund check (a nice feeling) and not noticing that your paycheck is lower than it could be.

> I'm sure my payroll dept isn't just going to agree to withhold less from each of my checks because I tell them how much I give to charities, or how much interest I pay on my mortgage!

Why not? It's entirely your choice unless you are at the extremes (claiming like 20 withholdings) which you probably are not.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Technically, exemptions are claimed on your 1040 when you file taxes at the end of the year, and are based on # of people.

Allowances are claimed on your W-4 as a tax-withholding estimation tool. Increase your allowances and you'll get a smaller refund since they'll withhold less tax from you (which you can spend/invest during the year).

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
You can deduct your charitable contributions (if you go long form) , but there is no reason to expect a return just because of that.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I don't think you need to be telling HR all this personal info just to get them to take less out. Explain to them that you are getting large returns and want to make whatever adjustments are needed to get closer to breaking even come tax time.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM

So if I am single and have no dependents, it's not illegal or unethical to "lie" and say I have dependents? I'm very squeamish about anything that feels like dishonesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance