Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times

Advertisements

> Most of the guys who frequent this forum don't know their collective asses from a hole in the ground. Instead, amass a little more wealth and find a planner in your market who really has an excellent track record for wealth management -- Not these glorified salesguys.

Hey, cpg, do you know where your hold in the ground is? What do you sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
The Crawling Road

Read that for some starting investment advice.

Save money on the big ticket items like housing, cars, etc. Buy used if you have to.

Don't forsake quality, enjoyment, etc. in favor of saving money on the little things.

Avoid bad debt (i.e. credit cards) like the plague. It's ok to use them for reward points and/or emergency loans if you have the discipline.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM

47 posts, read 70,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Hi all. I’m looking for a little advice on how to best save and increase my net worth.

I’m currently 23 and working full time. After all deductions and expenses , I am able to save about $1,600/month + am maxing out my Employer’s 401k matching (an additional ~$400/month in total). I have no debt.

Here is my current breakout of finances:

Cash: $28,000 (between checking / savings)
401k: $2,800 (only been employed for 7 months)
Stocks:
GOOG- 7 shares @ $4,629 (Up about $110/share from purchase price)
C: 25 shares @1,054
F: 100 shares @1,295

Not quite sure what to do. Eventually some of this will be used for a down payment on a house (of which I will either get a roommate or a duplex and rent out. I'm assuming I'm in a pretty decent position at the moment.
At 23--you are doing terrific!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
> Most of the guys who frequent this forum don't know their collective asses from a hole in the ground. Instead, amass a little more wealth and find a planner in your market who really has an excellent track record for wealth management -- Not these glorified salesguys.

Hey, cpg, do you know where your hold in the ground is? What do you sell?
Not investment products, that's for sure. And I gave him that advice because so much of it on here is half-baked, bordering on dangerous.

Personally, our money is spread out over equities, 401(k)s, and commercial real estate, chiefly warehouses.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
it's a general board- advice should be expected to be amateurish relative to a industry-specific board.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
it's a general board- advice should be expected to be amateurish relative to a industry-specific board.
The problem is that it's so contradictory, and based on little or no knowledge. Poor kid doesn't know what to do now. I mean, while we're at it, why don't we have a law or an accounting forum, where anybody with an opinion can weigh in.

To be sure, there are some things that are pretty much softballs. Budgeting. Credit card debt. But this isn't really one of them.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I would drop the individual stocks in favor of a good mutual fund investing in a 100+ stocks.
Are there any good resources that go over mutual funds? I'd assume that using Google to search for "Best Mutual Funds" won't be of much help

Quote:
Bigger question is why the conviction to put it all into being a landlord - have you done the math on what the returns are from buying and what the job outlook is in your region?
Currently located in Chicago suburbs. Don't really want to stay here forever. House purchase wouldn't be for 3-5 years out (when I'm 26-28) and have more of a handle on what I'm doing. Honestly, Real Estate has always been interesting to me. As much as I hated the my landlord while in college (he was a complete slumlord who never fixed anything in a timely manner), I did respect the fact that he lived almost completely off of rental income by owning 15 units or so. I believe he was also a fire fighter or something part-time to get benefits.

One of the things I've read elsewhere on these forums that the difference between the rich and the middle class is that the middle class work for their money whereas the rich have their money work for them. Not saying I want to be rich, but it seems like it's a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Instead of investing in real estate by purchasing a house, you also might want to consider investing in some RIET's. You will have less risk than actually owning property and still get the upside.

That being said, absolutely talk to a financial planner. Any planner worth his fee will never charge you a dime to have a few conversations up front.
Any place to research RIETs? These seem like a decent safer investment from searching.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Are there any good resources that go over mutual funds? I'd assume that using Google to search for "Best Mutual Funds" won't be of much help

These are some resources that are helpful. I have another couple dozen but this will give you a start.

Vanguard
https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...f-mutual-funds

T. Rowe Price
Planning & Research - T. Rowe Price

E*Trade
https://us.etrade.com/ctnt/investor-...ubNav#a0474129

Mutual Fund Educational Alliance
Mutual Fund Education Alliance -- Home Page

AICPA - 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy
https://www.360financialliteracy.org/

Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Hi all. I’m looking for a little advice on how to best save and increase my net worth.

I’m currently 23 and working full time. After all deductions and expenses , I am able to save about $1,600/month + am maxing out my Employer’s 401k matching (an additional ~$400/month in total). I have no debt.

Here is my current breakout of finances:

Cash: $28,000 (between checking / savings)
401k: $2,800 (only been employed for 7 months)
Stocks:
GOOG- 7 shares @ $4,629 (Up about $110/share from purchase price)
C: 25 shares @1,054
F: 100 shares @1,295

Not quite sure what to do. Eventually some of this will be used for a down payment on a house (of which I will either get a roommate or a duplex and rent out. I'm assuming I'm in a pretty decent position at the moment.
You're doing fine. Don't listen to some of the people on here. There is nothing wrong with having cash in the bank. It's Better than paying $10,000 in mortgage interest a year like some probably do here. Try a Roth IRA too. Remember your cash is FDIC insured. I personally would rather have the peace of mind.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Yes.

www.morningstar.com is good.

Also, I find yahoo! finance to be pretty good as well.

I am a mutual fund junkie myself. I think for your core investing you should invest in one of the better balanced funds. The best balanced funds typically match the performance of the large company stock universe with less volatility over long periods of time. Some of my favorites are:

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX)
Vanguard Wellington (VWELX)
Dodge and Cox Balanced (DODBX)
Mairs and Power Balanced (MAPOX)

The funds listed below charge a sales load, but if you can get access to them in your retirement plan, you don't have to pay the load so they are also worth a look:

American Funds American Balanced ("A", R4, R5, or R6 share classes...other share classes are a rip off)
American Funds Income Fund of America (ditto the above for the share classes)
American Funds Capital Income Builder (ditto the above)
American Funds Global Balanced (ditto the above)

This is by no means an exhaustive list. There are certainly other good funds out there....but if you have access to any of these funds in your 401K, jump on one of them and hold onto it with the intention of holding onto it for life.

Personally, I think my #1 pick would be the American Funds Capital Income Builder, which is a global balanced or "world allocation" fund. (but only if I could get it in my 401k thus avoiding the sales charge) followed by American Funds Global Balanced. I think owning stocks and bonds on a global basis is the way to go. Unfortunately, the global balanced fund category is one with high expenses and sales charges/loads...but settling for a more U.S. centric balanced fund is still a good option. So the next best option, would be T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX). Great returns, reasonable expense ratio (and no sales charge/load), reasonable volatility.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-02-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance