Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Why (And who still takes checks?) are you writing checks.
Why not write checks? There are a legal way to pay for things!
As far as who still takes them... I have not been to a place that refuses them. Some places prefer them (for example, my butcher only takes check or cash; the gutter guy, only checks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why not write checks? There are a legal way to pay for things!
As far as who still takes them... I have not been to a place that refuses them. Some places prefer them (for example, my butcher only takes check or cash; the gutter guy, only checks).
I pay for fuel for my car with cash or a debit card. I pay my car and home insurance with bank draft because of the discounts. Everything else each month is by check. Except small purchases of maybe under $20 I use cash or bank debit card.

Years ago, it was said, that years from then....maybe years from now...everyone's income will be on a card and you'll have to use that card to pay for everything.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Howard -- are you sure they didn't run your check as a debit? It would show up as a debit, in the debit section of your statement. They are supposed to hand you your check back, but people usually don't want them back, so they might have tossed it.

Anyhow -- I'd give it a few more weeks -- if it hasn't cashed by then, close the account. Businesses have to process things as they get them for accounting purposes, so there's NO WAY they didn't process this. If it's a small amount check what could have happened is they got credit for it, the bank lost it in processing and then wrote it off as too small to look for.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I got fuel for my car.....and decided to use my convenient bank check card. I swiped the card and was asked my zip code.

I have a post office box and two addresses so three area zips. I entered the zip of the address where I receive the statement for this account. Declined. So, I started again, swiped the card and entered the zip code of my post office box which is not the zip on file with this credit union. Accepted..!
Gas pumped, asked for a receipt. Monitor said go inside. I had to stand in line behind 4 people to get my receipt. I prefer to keep track of my expenses. So much for the convenience of the card. If I have to go inside for a receipt, I might as well pay cash.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Howard -- are you sure they didn't run your check as a debit? It would show up as a debit, in the debit section of your statement.

Anyhow -- I'd give it a few more weeks. Businesses have to process things as they get them for accounting purposes, so there's NO WAY they didn't process this. If it's a small amount check what could have happened is they got credit for it, the bank lost it in processing and then wrote it off as too small to look for.
Debit requires a pin number which I do not have. Unless the cashier was able to do it as a debit on their own. I called CVS customer service and they said maybe 4-5 weeks. Walgreen checks cleared in under 2 weeks.

I've never been handed a check back, when presented in person. I mail checks to pay household bills.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Debit requires a pin number which I do not have. Unless the cashier was able to do it as a debit on their own. I called CVS customer service and they said maybe 4-5 weeks. Walgreen checks cleared in under 2 weeks.

I've never been handed a check back, when presented in person. I mail checks to pay household bills.
A number of businesses (Walmart I know for sure does this) have the ability to use your check as a debit -- no pin required. You write the check, and they "frank" the document -- insert it into the register to read it. It takes the information from your check and debits your account. The clerk hands you the processed check back.

The franking process always makes me laugh -- the clerk puts the check on a flat part of the register, the register sucks it in, the check goes out the top and flutters in the air like it's trying to get away.... and back down into the machine to the flat surface and the clerk takes it out.

I just can't believe a business would take so long to cash a check.... I guess that shows you how much money they are making...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A number of businesses, You write the check, and they "frank" the document -- insert it into the register to read it. It takes the information from your check and debits your account. The clerk hands you the processed check back.
That happened at an insurance agency where family members were paying for insurance on a jointly owned property. We had the checkbook with us. The agent asked for a blank check.
One family member's face turned white as snow with fear. They were very worried about giving a blank check. But they gave it and the agent processed the payment, gave a receipt and gave the blank check back. The account number was all they needed.

If my check to CVS takes 6 months then let it take that long.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
It's possible the check was lost, or that it was posted to the wrong account. Call the pharmacy and see if they had a shortage on the day you wrote the check, if it was close to the amount of the check it may have gotten lost. If not, and if they've deposited the receipts from that day in the bank (might as well ask them while you've got them on the phone), find out what bank they use and call them to see if they had any issues on or around that date. If everything turns up okay there, call your own bank and see if it may have been posted to someone else's account by mistake.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If my check to CVS takes 6 months then let it take that long.
I thought you were anxious to close the account?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's possible the check was lost, or that it was posted to the wrong account. Call the pharmacy and see if they had a shortage on the day you wrote the check, if it was close to the amount of the check it may have gotten lost. If not, and if they've deposited the receipts from that day in the bank (might as well ask them while you've got them on the phone), find out what bank they use and call them to see if they had any issues on or around that date. If everything turns up okay there, call your own bank and see if it may have been posted to someone else's account by mistake.
It's the only check that has yet to clear the account. Yes, I want to close it but I am not going to close it and face a bad check fee by CVS. The check is only $6.41. Their bounce fee could be $20-$30.
I called CVS customer service and they called the CVS store. The check was manually entered for some reason and they said it may take 4-5 weeks. They must do things different than Walgreen because those two checks written the same day, cleared in under 2 weeks.
I'll call my bank too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance