Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Like someone else mentioned...it's all relative. It's not really what you make that is the issue...it's how much you spend.

I don't think it's unhealthy to worry about money but it could be unhealthy to obsess about it. I've never been obsessed with money but I always have been VERY aware of every penny that comes in and every penny that goes out.

I use Quicken and I can tell you exactly how much I've spent in the past 20 years. Not only that but I can break it down on exactly what category it was. Not because I'm obsessed but because I like to be organized and know what is coming in and what is going out.

I work with a lot of wealthy people and one thing I've learned is that almost no one feels like they have too much money. Everyone always feels like they can always make more.

The truth is there will ALWAYS be someone that makes less and saves less and there will always be someone that makes more and spends more.

In my experience, when you have a major life change. For instance, changing jobs after being at the same company for a while, selling a house, moving to another city are all major life changes and it's perfectly normal to be stressed or think about money more when you go through a major life change. It's especially difficult when you go through several major life changes at the same time.

I remember many years ago I quit my job where I spent almost a decade, I sold my house, I moved to a new country all at the same time! It was the most stressful period in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away ...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
We have two low six figure incomes, and we still consider money a lot... then again, we need to be self-reliant for retirement, we need to have some independence from our employers, we have a kid on the way, and a decent house here costs $1.2M.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
If I had a low six figure income...no worries!
It doesn't matter how much you make, what matters is how you spend what you make. I have a friend who makes three times what I make, and compared to him, I'm rich.
If one doesn't know how to handle money, they will never be successful in life no matter how much they make..

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away ...
Money is not the root of all evil. Lack of money is.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Anyone else have this issue where any financial advisor would say "you're fine, quit worrying, just keep doing what you're doing", yet you constantly think about all the bills, etc?
To obsess is OK for an hour or so... maybe twice a year.
Worry is OK as well; with a similar limit on time.

Concern otoh and especially care... these are constant.
But even here keep it it a low simmer.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Money is not the root of all evil. Lack of money is.
True statement. Am I the only one here who considers making money to be like a hobby? Why get stressed out over something that can actually be a lot of fun?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseVidiot View Post
I do think about it a lot even though I probably don't have to. It's hard not to when I see older people like parents and aunts and uncles with no savings whatsoever, just getting by. I don't want to be like that when I'm older, so yes, I do worry about it now. I know I need to relax a bit, but it's not easy.
I am the same way. I think part of it for me is I actually like thinking about money. It drives me crazy that most people apparently don't find the topic that interesting, yet complain about being broke, etc.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am the same way. I think part of it for me is I actually like thinking about money. It drives me crazy that most people apparently don't find the topic that interesting, yet complain about being broke, etc.
I'm the OP and I guess 'obsess' was a poor choice of words.
For example, I have spreadsheet I keep that has every investment/cash/credit account listed and about once a month I go online to every acct to update the numbers. I like to look at the growth of the investments and decline in the debits (car payment, student loan). I guess if feels reassuring to know that if hell came tomorrow, I could pay off the debts and have plenty left over.

However, in the last 5 months, with all the major life changes, I've been writing (and receiving) some big checks for signficant sums. New car (paid cash), new home designe changes (mid 5 figures), new mortgage down payment (6 figures), and a constant flow of bills ranging from 50-$500.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
If you live well below your means, I don't see it being an issue. My parents grossed maybe $45k at their peak and raised a family of six. Of course, we were pretty much on our own after 18 (no college money saved, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance