Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

you can't worry about all the remote what if's . if you do you will end up like those doomsayer's over on the economics forum .

you can only plan around what was , what is and what stands a reasonably good chance of being . then adjust accordingly as things unfold .

the only issue i can see with roths is making them no longer totally tax free after rmd age .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can't worry about all the remote what if's . if you do you will end up like those doomsayer's over on the economics forum .

you can only plan around what was , what is and what stands a reasonably good chance of being . then adjust accordingly as things unfold .

the only issue i can see with roths is making them no longer totally tax free after rmd age .
Wouldn't that be double taxation since initial money put into Roth was taxed? Unless they decide to tax the gains. That would defeat the whole idea behind a Roth.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 AM

not really . this is on gains after the age of 70 . rmd's require traditional plans to stop tax deferred compounding at this point so it may be considered only fair that you stop the tax free compounding after 70 on roths too .

other than that i can't see the gov't messing with roths . no one will pay those taxes up front anymore if that is the case and they do not want that .

everyone loses if that is the case , especially the states since many relocate down the road and never pay state taxes on deferred retirement accounts . so folks paying taxes up front during peak earning years is important to the gov't .

Old 10-25-2016, 03:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
you can never go wrong with roth's
Well, that's too strong a statement to apply to everyone. Even with today's rules there are some people who are better off in Roth, some are better off in Trad, while yet others are better with some mix of those two. Not everyone is at the precipice of the ACA credit cliff, nor getting torpedoed by the SS tax rules.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:18 PM

unless you are at the highest brackets a roth will likely be the better choice .simply because of all the things linked .

especially if you are in the earlier stages of your career . you will likely ramp up in pay over decades making your average tax bracket over your career lower than your retirement bracket .

your retirement bracket is usually based somewhere around your higher years .

unless you start out in your career way up there in pay your career average will be much lower . my son is in that exception category since he is an attorney and his wife is a cpa so she is also well up there early on .

t.rowe did an extensive study on this . they found between the career average tax bracket being lower and the linking later on to all the other things that unless you started out in the higher brackets there were actually very few scenario's traditional's worked out better .

t.rowe found even with no changes in tax brackets the roth provided as much as 20% more cash flow .

Old 10-28-2016, 07:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I would put at least 15 percent of your income into Roth

Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,707,635 times
I think most, if not all, of the literature out there advising people how to choose between Roth and Traditional (whether it's 401k or IRA) only addressed the tax aspects, and only compare the taxes and earnings on the contributions to the traditional or Roth account, but almost never point out the fact that, when you contribute to traditional account, the money that you have saved presently from not paying tax on the contribution are likely (for many people) invested in the taxable account. This would be significant if your taxable account have much better investment vehicles than your 401k, and the gains you may have from this taxable account may outweigh the taxes you will pay when making withdrawals from the traditional account.

With that in mind, if my 401k has mediocre investment vehicles, I would contribute to the Traditional 401k, but Roth IRA (since I can choose any brokerage for IRA, with many excellent investment choices), and invest the tax deductions (via deferrals) from traditional 401k contribution in a taxable account with a good brokerage.

To put it simply: do traditional if the investment choices are very limited or of poor quality, do Roth if the investment choices are very good.

How does this sound?

Old 11-01-2016, 04:57 AM

odds are for so many reasons other than tax bracket changes the roth would likely win again .

Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 AM

7,635 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
odds are for so many reasons other than tax bracket changes the roth would likely win again .
It had recently come to my attention when an acquaintance casually mentioned to me that as a state employee, he will not pay state taxes when he withdraw from his employer-linked retirement account after retirement (ok, he later clarified, it's the first $20K in a year that will be state-tax-free---still doesn't affect the point I'm making). In that case, if the state has high tax, deferred contribution may have advantage over Roth, since in Roth he'd have to pay both federal and state/city taxes up front. Opinions?

Old 11-01-2016, 11:49 AM

certainly could be a factor . it is one of the reasons conversions are allowed . many states will get cheated out of their tax share when a person does a traditional then moves .

conversions give states a chance at capturing that income .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance