Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is truly nutritious is a matter of opinion. i dont think vegetables are nutritious and i dont think organic is any more nutritious that non-organic. but thats for people to choose where to spend their money and its their job to make sure they save. i dont think where your money goes matters as long as you are saving at a % that works for you.
You don't think vegetables are nutritious?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You don't think vegetables are nutritious?
vegetables are primarily water and fiber. they have very few calories, calories are nutrition. calories give you the energy you need to live. you would need a lot of veggies to satisfy your bodies needs. they have small amounts of certain vitamins and minerals that could be an issue if you have a deficiency. but you dont require many veggies for that and you can always use outside supplements.

so no, to me veggies are very low nutrition foods.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
vegetables are primarily water and fiber. they have very few calories, calories are nutrition. calories give you the energy you need to live. you would need a lot of veggies to satisfy your bodies needs. they have small amounts of certain vitamins and minerals that could be an issue if you have a deficiency. but you dont require many veggies for that and you can always use outside supplements.

so no, to me veggies are very low nutrition foods.
Lol. This is just downright ig'nant.

Let's see. Yesterday for breakfast I ate whole grain oatmeal and a greek yogurt. For lunch, split pea soup and a couple pieces of toast. Some apples to fill in the gaps. And for dinner, a hearty sweet potato. All of these "meals" were chock full of nutrition and vitamins and were very filling for me. I am a 180 lb dude who exercises often.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Lol. This is just downright ig'nant.
yeah, LOL. its funny how so many people will believe in this notion of "veggies are healthy" but its another one of those things where you eat food with calories to live and you eat veggies in the hopes that it probably has some kind of benefit. even though you will never actually notice the benefit.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
yeah, LOL. its funny how so many people will believe in this notion of "veggies are healthy" but its another one of those things where you eat food with calories to live and you eat veggies in the hopes that it probably has some kind of benefit. even though you will never actually notice the benefit.
FWIW, my cousin is a professional MMA fighter and he often goes on a veggie diet when he's training and trying to stay lean. What would he know though? After all, he works with highly paid nutritionists and doctors to make sure his body is in tip top condition.

You talk about how veggies don't have the raw protein/calories to get you through the day. There are protein supplements out there. Whey protein, soy protein...heck, in a glass of 1% low fat milk I get about 10g of protein. I usually drink that and eat a banana before I go on a long bike ride. For a great snack, chow on some edamame or almonds or eat a bowl of lentil soup or Quinoa. You can be a pure vegetarian and have plenty of sources of raw, unadulterated protein. I still eat meat, but only in small quantities, especially red meat. My "meat" protein comes primarily from fish, chicken and turkey.

It's people like you who need to be educated on the various sources of protein/calories you can get outside of meat. Trust me, I am well aware of them already. And it might just be a reason why I'm not morbidly obese like so many Americans.

Last edited by Tekkie; 02-25-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
No intent to hijack the thread -- just some quick clarification.
CaptainNJ, really?
Quote:
i dont think vegetables are nutritious
Nevermind. Don't even clarify. I've read enough. I don't even know how I'd discuss the issue with you.
It your opinion...moving on....back to the original thread topic....

Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
FWIW, my cousin is a professional MMA fighter and he often goes on a veggie diet when he's training and trying to stay lean. What would he know though? After all, he works with highly paid nutritionists and doctors to make sure his body is in tip top condition.
he goes on a veggie diet because veggies are very low in calories. its funny that you post something like this as if you are making some kind of a point. if you are looking to lean out, an all veggie diet is probably one of the best ways to do it. but you seem to have no concept of the logic behind that.

i am actually leaning out right now and one thing that im allowed to basically have unlimited amounts of is veggies. its not for their nurition, the oats im eating are what provide real nutrition. i can eat unlimited veggies because of their extremely low calorie content.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
he goes on a veggie diet because veggies are very low in calories. its funny that you post something like this as if you are making some kind of a point. if you are looking to lean out, an all veggie diet is probably one of the best ways to do it. but you seem to have no concept of the logic behind that.

i am actually leaning out right now and one thing that im allowed to basically have unlimited amounts of is veggies. its not for their nurition, the oats im eating are what provide real nutrition. i can eat unlimited veggies because of their extremely low calorie content.
Veggies are supplemental in your diet. Obviously you cannot depend on them alone. And FYI, fibrous veggies and fruits help keep you feeling fuller, longer. Not to mention the vitamins that they provide. But whatever guy, apparently you are a genius and have superior insights into dietary science. It'd make sense that you are probably a truck driver or something furthest away from the field you are claiming superior knowledge of. I have an uncle like you. Logic and facts escape him often, too.

Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet - MayoClinic.com

Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Veggies are supplemental in your diet. Obviously you cannot depend on them alone. And FYI, fibrous veggies and fruits help keep you feeling fuller, longer. Not to mention the vitamins that they provide. But whatever guy, apparently you are a genius and have superior insights into dietary science. It'd make sense that you are probably a truck driver or something furthest away from the field you are claiming superior knowledge of. I have an uncle like you. Logic escapes him often, too.

Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet - MayoClinic.com
eat a whole bunch of veggies only and see how long you are full for. they will not keep you nearly as full as a portion of plain rolled oats. fiber is wonderful, i take 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk a day. but to me, the fiber in veggies isnt really enough to tout its amazing nutritional qualities. it has some value, but not much.

what are those vitamins doing for you? remember when you grew up your parents saying that eating carrots is good for your eyes. i look back on that kind of garbage and laugh now. people just repeat that stuff over and over until they believe it. then people like you are so convinced of its truth that you are shocked someone would question it. are people that ate lots of carrots as kids any more likely to have better vision? im not really so sure i believe that now.

anyway, you seem to have faith in the knowledge of that mma fighter. so ask him why he eats veggies when he is leaning out. you can also ask him if he loads up on veggies before a fight or practice. you will probably be shocked that he loads up on foods with real proven nutrition qualities, not stuff that everybody hopes that probably over the long term may make them healthier somehow aka vegetables.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
eat a whole bunch of veggies only and see how long you are full for. they will not keep you nearly as full as a portion of plain rolled oats. fiber is wonderful, i take 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk a day. but to me, the fiber in veggies isnt really enough to tout its amazing nutritional qualities. it has some value, but not much.

what are those vitamins doing for you? remember when you grew up your parents saying that eating carrots is good for your eyes. i look back on that kind of garbage and laugh now. people just repeat that stuff over and over until they believe it. then people like you are so convinced of its truth that you are shocked someone would question it. are people that ate lots of carrots as kids any more likely to have better vision? im not really so sure i believe that now.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself dittohead.

Kids, please note, this is why we need more science in our classrooms and less religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance