Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,818,820 times

Advertisements

I made a very large donation to Goodwill this year, about five SUV loads of clothes and household items. These items had been accumulated over many years.

I use TurboTax, and valued each item according to their "It's Deductible" program that automatically adds the value.

Goodwill gave me dated receipts for each of the trips I made to drop off donations. I wrote each item on the receipts.

The total amount is going to give me a very nice deduction. However, I am concerned that it is so large that it will trigger an audit.

Are there any guidelines about large donations? Has anyone ever received an audit due to large charitable donations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM

22,336 posts, read 47,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I made a very large donation to Goodwill this year, about five SUV loads of clothes and household items. These items had been accumulated over many years.

I use TurboTax, and valued each item according to their "It's Deductible" program that automatically adds the value.

Goodwill gave me dated receipts for each of the trips I made to drop off donations. I wrote each item on the receipts.

The total amount is going to give me a very nice deduction. However, I am concerned that it is so large that it will trigger an audit.

Are there any guidelines about large donations? Has anyone ever received an audit due to large charitable donations?

We have. It was a royal PITA but we were well-documented.
You will have to prove that the items are really worth the deduction you are taking for them. Can you do that?

And the chance of an audit will depend on how you define 'large'. If the total of the donations are, like, 3% of your income... no, you will not get an audit.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,993,203 times
I don't think it trips anything until past at least 5% of your income, but it differs by income level.

If you have everything exquisitely documented as you say, then you should feel entitled to take the deduction and not afraid of an audit.

Are you in the IRS' cross hairs? - Audit triggers - MSN Money

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,455,705 times
Quote:

It's not the amount but % of your gross income.

What % is it?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
It's not the amount but % of your gross income.

What % is it?
7% of gross income

Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,363,741 times
Quote:
7% of gross income

7% of gross income will drastically increase your chances of an audit. But if you can easily justify all of it then go ahead but honestly Goodwill is the type that I believe just hands you a blank receipt and you fill it in. So the IRS might ask you if you have photographs or proof of everything you are claiming.

Also you have to be very conservative on the values. The biggest mistake I've seen is people valuing their junk as some sort of treasures.

Another thing you have to be concerned about is once you get audited you are more likely for future audits. You really need to see if its worth it.

But if you are careful with your record keeping and it's conservative go ahead and take the deductions. Take it from me. I've been audited 3 times in 5 years. And the last time they ended up sending me a check back for $9. I saved the check as a nice memento.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,993,503 times
I noticed that Turbo tax valued my items higher than they were worth. I was conservative and came up with $600 for my donations to Salvation Army, I used the Salvation Valuation guide on their website. Turbo Tax valued the items at over a $1000. Needless to say I went with my valuation, because I felt it was closer to the actual value of the items.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I noticed that Turbo tax valued my items higher than they were worth. I was conservative and came up with $600 for my donations to Salvation Army, I used the Salvation Valuation guide on their website. Turbo Tax valued the items at over a $1000. Needless to say I went with my valuation, because I felt it was closer to the actual value of the items.

I think TurboTax values are off on some categories of item. For example, VHS tapes are valued at $4 each on TT, but I see them for sale at thrift stores, Goodwill, etc for 99 cents each.

So the box of VHS tapes that I donated to Goodwill will be priced at 99 cents each but when I entered it into TT as a donation to Goodwill the value was $4 each. No way would I claim $120 value on a box of 30 VHS tapes.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM

22,336 posts, read 47,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
7% of gross income will drastically increase your chances of an audit. But if you can easily justify all of it then go ahead but honestly Goodwill is the type that I believe just hands you a blank receipt and you fill it in. So the IRS might ask you if you have photographs or proof of everything you are claiming.

Also you have to be very conservative on the values. The biggest mistake I've seen is people valuing their junk as some sort of treasures.
That's exactly what they do... they want proof that what you claim is the actual value of that item.
NO WAY I would claim $4 for VHS tapes. They are more than likely WAY off on all the other thing too.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
I don't think it trips anything until past at least 5% of your income, but it differs by income level.

If you have everything exquisitely documented as you say, then you should feel entitled to take the deduction and not afraid of an audit.

Are you in the IRS' cross hairs? - Audit triggers - MSN Money
This is a really interesting article. The chart on average deductions for US taxpayers showed a higher interest deduction than I am taking, and a lower charitable deduction.

Also, I am not taking any medical deduction and according to the chart every income group showed an average medical deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance