Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I thought making the max contribution to your Roth IRA is supposed to be a tax benefit? That is why we do it! Our medical costs were greater than 7.5 % of our income so that also helped a little.
the amount we are short this year is twice what it was last year and I thought we would owe less since we made less. I am still hoping I am wrong. The government already takes enough of my money to use for the wrong things!
We are contributing to Roth IRA's. I switched from a Traditional to a Roth in 12 and the Roth my husband opened is new all together. I wonder is that is part of the problem?
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
I think you do get a tax deduction for Roth contributions but there is also an income limitation. If your AGI is too high you're not allowed to contribute to them, and I believe in addition to your deduction being disallowed there would be penalties. Did you verify that your income wasn't too high to contribute to them?

When you say you switched do you mean rolled a traditional over to a Roth? Was this traditional originally a 401k? If it was a 401k(pretax) that you converted to traditional IRA, then converted to a Roth(after tax) there would be taxes owed on that transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
I thought making the max contribution to your Roth IRA is supposed to be a tax benefit? That is why we do it! Our medical costs were greater than 7.5 % of our income so that also helped a little.
the amount we are short this year is twice what it was last year and I thought we would owe less since we made less. I am still hoping I am wrong. The government already takes enough of my money to use for the wrong things!
We are contributing to Roth IRA's. I switched from a Traditional to a Roth in 12 and the Roth my husband opened is new all together. I wonder is that is part of the problem?
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
Roth contributions are not tax deductible.

Roth distributions are tax free subject to certain rules:

When ROTH IRA Withdrawals Are Tax Free And When They Are Not

Which type of IRA you choose depends on whether you expect to be in a lower or higher tax bracket when you retire. Most people expect to have less income after they retire and choose a traditional IRA. However, with the current economic situation, it is possible, even probable, that tax rates will increase, meaning more tax on less income.

But for your current tax bill, yes, the problem is you've lost the tax benefit of the traditional IRA.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
If it was a [pre-tax account] that you converted to... a Roth (after tax) there would be taxes owed on that transaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is you've lost the tax benefit of the traditional IRA.
Yes, I suspect it's one or both of these factors.

Compare lines 15b and 32 on your 1040's between 2011 and 2012.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That will be my next step. But actually, I found out I can handle my state income tax through the state revenue service online. Having done that, the numbers were much more in my favor. Not sure what the difference was exactly, guess I will have to research that further.

Thats interesting, up until this year I did my Fed. with Turbo Tax, but not state, becuase it always gave me incorrect figures for state, even though it imported the data (I compared by going to the state directly when things didn't look good). This year, for the first time, it matched.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
I thought making the max contribution to your Roth IRA is supposed to be a tax benefit?
The tax benefit is realized when you withdraw the money from your Roth IRA after age 59 1/2.

Quote:
I switched from a Traditional to a Roth in 12 and the Roth my husband opened is new all together.
That explains a significant increase in tax owed this year.

Quote:
I think you do get a tax deduction for Roth contributions but there is also an income limitation.
You do not get a tax deduction for Roth contributions.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,015 times
Quote:
I think you do get a tax deduction for Roth contributions but there is also an income limitation. If your AGI is too high you're not allowed to contribute to them, and I believe in addition to your deduction being disallowed there would be penalties. Did you verify that your income wasn't too high to contribute to them?

When you say you switched do you mean rolled a traditional over to a Roth? Was this traditional originally a 401k? If it was a 401k(pretax) that you converted to traditional IRA, then converted to a Roth(after tax) there would be taxes owed on that transaction.
Yes, we were told after meeting with tax advisor in August 12 that we were below the income requirement and that we could each contribute $5,000 in 2012.
I rolled over a traditional IRA to a Roth in 2012, and made an additional $5000 deposit. My husband and I both closed universal whole life policies in 2012, cashed them in and then he used that money to open up his Roth IRA. I think that is where I got my $5000 deposit from too. My traditional IRA was opened with 402 B money for an old job back in 1996 and transferred to a Roth in 2012. I think I'll send the financial advisor an email to verify the IRA issue. Any more comments? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Quote:
Yes, we were told after meeting with tax advisor in August 12 that we were below the income requirement and that we could each contribute $5,000 in 2012.
I rolled over a traditional IRA to a Roth in 2012, and made an additional $5000 deposit. My husband and I both closed universal whole life policies in 2012, cashed them in and then he used that money to open up his Roth IRA. I think that is where I got my $5000 deposit from too. My traditional IRA was opened with 402 B money for an old job back in 1996 and transferred to a Roth in 2012. I think I'll send the financial advisor an email to verify the IRA issue. Any more comments? Thanks so much for your help!
Yeah I would take your info to a tax expert and have them look at all the IRA activity in 2012 and determine if that's causing your difference. Looks like you made alot of changes last year.

There may be tax implications from cashing out the life insurance policy too.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
I had a very depressing phone conversation with my tax acct yesterday. The good thing is we had a good income and some nice capital gains (some short term though), the bad thing is, we are going to give the govt back well into the 5 figures......taxation sucks.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I had a very depressing phone conversation with my tax acct yesterday. The good thing is we had a good income and some nice capital gains (some short term though), the bad thing is, we are going to give the govt back well into the 5 figures......taxation sucks.
Do you prefer the alternative? No money, no taxes? As they say: "mo money, mo problems"

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Do you prefer the alternative? No money, no taxes? As they say: "mo money, mo problems"
In my working days, my foreman used to say----------" when my wife and I complain how big a check we write for taxes plus with holding, I say we're sitting pretty darn good !"

I sometimes think the tax "complainers" are actually bragging about their income under the guise of complaining about their taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance