Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Just don't answer. Can't your program your mothers..fathers...best friend sean number. So if a random number calls don't even pay attention. If someone truly needs you they will leave a message.
You didn't get it. If one does not PAY for service that enables caller ID, one has absolutely no way of knowing what number is calling. The phone company just says "If you want to screen junk calls, just pay us some more money, and well enable you to identify them." It's a protection racket. Pay us for Caller ID, or we'll let the calls through unidentified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
The calls are annoying, but come on you can spot them within 3 seconds. Just hang up. I get them on a business line so can't really block them, but combined they take up maybe 1 minute of my time at work on a bad day and many days they don't come in at all. Where I would lose is if I let them bother me and distract me after I hang up. Same thing if I go to the extreme of plotting out how to handle them which wastes time and effort too.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You didn't get it. If one does not PAY for service that enables caller ID, one has absolutely no way of knowing what number is calling. The phone company just says "If you want to screen junk calls, just pay us some more money, and well enable you to identify them." It's a protection racket. Pay us for Caller ID, or we'll let the calls through unidentified.
I think its about time to let go of the landline.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Quote:
Pay us for Caller ID, or we'll let the calls through unidentified.
Some things ARE worth the money.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
Google voice + whitelisting. Done.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM

61,683 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I still have land line, but except someone dialing a wrong number, the phone NEVER rings. There are weeks to months that I don't have a single call.
Yes, I have a caller ID and unlisted number, and I also registered that number with "Do not call", but is that preventing the robo-calls? I don't know. But the fact remains that I just don't get any calls.
On my cell phone I will get occasionally a spam text message, but I have free "TrueCaller" installed with a caller ID, and "block spam numbers" feature. It seem to work just fine.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Q:Elnia... Why are you keeping/paying for the Landline? If you don't use it?, get calls on it?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
My company has a flat rate that includes caller ID.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
7c a minute to Eur
Quote:
I think its about time to let go of the landline.
It's cheaper than any cellphone plan, and it provides all the services I need, since my life doesn't revolve around being in phone contact with anybody. Everyone I know has unlimited LD, so I just tell them to call me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My company has a flat rate that includes caller ID.
Your flat rate is higher than my standard rate, so you are paying for the Caller ID. I have LifeLine, and subscribers with features (such as Caller ID) are not eligible for the discount. So my landline costs me $10.28 s month with unlimited local, and my LD plan is 2.7c a minute, 7c a minute to Europe.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-27-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Just don't answer. Can't your program your mothers..fathers...best friend sean number. So if a random number calls don't even pay attention. If someone truly needs you they will leave a message.
That's what I did for our home phone (cell phone). It rings one ring if someone on my list is calling, and a different ring if someone I don't have programmed in calls. I miss the occasional call from doctors/vets, etc, but they always leave a message. Saves me from having to go look at the phone every time it rings.

Doesn't help at work though, I still get at least 2 or 3 and sometimes as many as 10 spam calls a day at the office. Each call doesn't take very long to get rid of, but each one interrupts what I was working on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance