Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM

295 posts, read 337,964 times

Advertisements

If you have ever read the book The Millionaire Next Door, one of the reason that Doctors and Dentists typically don't accumulate a large amount of wealth in their lifetime considering the high salary that they have is the fact that they have to keep up with the joneses. If you haven't read the book and are looking at this problem you should read the book. The status job has a high salary for them but it almost is like a tax as well because they are expected to live in a certain neighborhood where houses cost 50,000 more than elsewhere and they are expected to drive a car that cost 20,000 more than the normal car. So if I were you I would read the book and get a normal car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I think the point he was making is that Mark Z can afford a much nicer car than that. He can afford whatever he wanted. There is no way the he financed the car either.

I'd like to see the stat that says the average car is 12 years old. I see a lot of new cars on the road.

Financing a car for 5 years, and then keeping it for a few years is a good scenario. But I doubt a big percentage does that. Everyone seems to want to trade their cars in a lot to get newer. That cycle makes them a slave to their cars.

100% right on.....not sure where the previous poster was rambling.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
If you have ever read the book The Millionaire Next Door, one of the reason that Doctors and Dentists typically don't accumulate a large amount of wealth in their lifetime considering the high salary that they have is the fact that they have to keep up with the joneses. If you haven't read the book and are looking at this problem you should read the book. The status job has a high salary for them but it almost is like a tax as well because they are expected to live in a certain neighborhood where houses cost 50,000 more than elsewhere and they are expected to drive a car that cost 20,000 more than the normal car. So if I were you I would read the book and get a normal car.
Great reading.....Best short book (less than 100 pages I think) that I have ever read.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Great reading.....Best short book (less than 100 pages I think) that I have ever read.
It was ok. A quick read, but a lot of it to me was 'Duh'. Also they obssessed too much on how many millionaires drove American cars, like that was some magical key to eventual wealth. Actually, it was an example of what the millionaires did wrong. At the time of that book (1980s), American cars were junk. It was a very poor financial decision to buy American cars then. Still is, imo, but not an open and shut case like back then.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Sounds pretty good since they're making $100-200k a year more than your regular college educated Joe.

One of the reasons doctors in particular don't tend to accumulate a ton of wealth relative to their income has to do with $200,000 of student loans, eight years of college, and then 3-7 years of residency making below minimum wage. The typical college grad comes out of formal school and makes more money than a doctor four years earlier and about a tenth of the debt. Sure, 5-6 years when a surgeon finishes up residency, sure. It shifts. On the other hand, he's just spent $200k, four additional years of college, and then worked for about 5 years 80+ hours a week for less than he could have made flipping burgers at McDonalds. That's often when the Porsche comes in. I'd probably want something to show for going through that as well, other than the $2,000/mo+ student loan payment that is.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
The main advantage on buying a more expensive car, right out of college, is the better gas mileage.

Your gas mileage will be better because your wallet will be lighter!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Buy a car that you can comfortably afford and don't give in to peer pressure. It's just stupid these days.

Times are different now. Back when I was graduating college a lot of cars were JUNK. They weren't nearly as good as what is being made today. I mean for perspective remember when the only people buying Kia's were people that didn't have money and Kia was junk and now they are winning some awards. LOL.

Buy a luxury car when you can comfortably afford it. I'm NOT against people owning and buying luxury cars if they can afford them. I love my Audi as much as the next guy but the difference is I can afford it.

Also, I had the good pleasure to work with many wealthy families over the years. Some billionaires and the most interesting thing is some of these billionaires are the most non-flashy people. They drive relatively modest cars, they were modest clothes (no Armani suits), etc. About the only thing that I noticed that was extremely expensive was the homes they lived in. Everything else you would never know they were billionaires unless you know who they were.

Who cares what your friends say. Even if you can afford the car payments, save it up and take advantage of compound interest. The best reward in life is being able to retire if you wanted to at 40.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Huh? Is that so? When I visit my doctor or dentist, I have no idea (nor do I care) what car he/she drives and what neighborhood he/she lives in.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I'd like to see the stat that says the average car is 12 years old. I see a lot of new cars on the road.
It's not 12, but it is about 10, from what I've read.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It was ok. A quick read, but a lot of it to me was 'Duh'. Also they obssessed too much on how many millionaires drove American cars, like that was some magical key to eventual wealth. Actually, it was an example of what the millionaires did wrong. At the time of that book (1980s), American cars were junk. It was a very poor financial decision to buy American cars then. Still is, imo, but not an open and shut case like back then.
Correction: "The Millionaire Next Door" was first published in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance