Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
$2M is about $80-$100k a year in income, or about $70k a year tax-free, without even touching the $2m principal. That basically puts you in the top 20% of households in the US in terms of income and you don't even have to work. Having $2m to invest actually puts you in the top 1%.

That's if you put the $2M in an account and don't touch it and invest the entire $2M --- and investing is not a guaranteed return of 80-100K yearly. I don't know what the interest rate would be on $2M in a bank account but would it generate that much interest? If so, then you could live comfortably off that interest in a middle class suburb.

Most people are not going to do that, though. They're going to purchase a home or pay off their current home. They're going to go on dream vacations. They're going to buy new car(s) and new clothing. They're going to do things for their children/grandchildren (buy homes, college tuitions, pay off debt, trust funds, etc etc etc)

After all that, how much of the $2M do you think is left? Not much but probably enough to bank, inveest, and put some in a retirement fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM

238 posts, read 590,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
I personally knew some powerball winners that won smaller amounts( around $2 million)

It didn't change any of them and they put the money to good use.

This case is much difference as it is such a huge amount.
I don't see this "story" having a happy ending.

Another difference is that most of the people in this case were very close to retirement age to begin with.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I'm in my early 50s and 2 million after taxes wouldn't be enough for me to retire on, because 1) I'd like to share with siblings, and 2) in retirement I want to travel more.

To be honest I'd have to think about whether it's worth retiring if I'd have to watch my spending MORE than I do now. One plus of retirement for is doing things I want to do that I can't do now. To retire and still not be able to do them...I might as well bank what's left of the 2 million, and SPEED UP the day I can retire and live like I really want to.

Maybe disperse/use 500-thousand (pay off my mortgage, and share with siblings) -- bank 1.5 million, work another 5-7 years with no mortgage, then retire (I'd have a reduced pension and reduced SS retiring early). Or bank the entire 2 mill let it grow and disperse money out of the growth (not all of it obviously). Decide on which plan is better to speed my retirement day, yet allow me to share.

For me, I'd say 4-5 mill AFTER TAXES would be what I'd need to retire immediately.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM

238 posts, read 590,183 times
in
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm in my early 50s and 2 million after taxes wouldn't be enough for me to retire on, because 1) I'd like to share with siblings, and 2) in retirement I want to travel more.

To be honest I'd have to think about whether it's worth retiring if I'd have to watch my spending MORE than I do now. One plus of retirement for is doing things I want to do that I can't do now. To retire and still not be able to do them...I might as well bank what's left of the 2 million, and SPEED UP the day I can retire and live like I really want to.

Maybe disperse/use 500-thousand (pay off my mortgage, and share with siblings) -- bank 1.5 million, work another 5-7 years with no mortgage, then retire (I'd have a reduced pension and reduced SS retiring early). Or bank the entire 2 mill let it grow and disperse money out of the growth (not all of it obviously). Decide on which plan is better to speed my retirement day, yet allow me to share.

For me, I'd say 4-5 mill AFTER TAXES would be what I'd need to retire immediately.
If I was in my early 50's and a $2 million lottery would still not allow me to retire early, I would feel that I was not in financial shape to share my winnings with my siblings.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If you retired tomorrow with you in your 50's, your looking at another 30 years of life left, with 5 million dollars, even without earning any return on your money, you could spend 166k a year before you run out of money. I think you could retire with as little as 2 million dollars and get by fine. With 2 million dollars, you could spend 66k a year, even with a lousy 1% CD saving account return on your money, it would last you 30 years. Of course a higher return on your investments, your money would last a lot longer.

Also remember social security, I'm sure it will continue to exist in one form or another, the benefits may be reduced becuase more people would be taking out of the system then putting in, but it will be something.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
If I was in my early 50's and a $2 million lottery would still not allow me to retire early, I would feel that I was not in financial shape to share my winnings with my siblings.
I don't see those two things as having anything to do with each other. I'd rather share and keep working than retire and not share.

Quote:
With 2 million dollars, you could spend 66k a year, even with a lousy 1% CD saving account return on your money,
Let's just say I'd have to do the math. Am I paying off my mortgage out of the 2 mill, or investing the entire 2 mill, and continuing to pay a mortgage?
Don't forget being retired I'd want to take 2 to three 5-thousand dollar trips a year at least. If winning the lottery doesn't get me that, I'd rather share a little bit and keep working, let most of the money grow, and delay a few years until I get a retirement that allows the level of living I want.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
He reportedly is paying everyone's rent in the neighborhood for one or two months. While generous, He needs planning both financially and to adjust to the fact life is going to change completely. A letter among the piled up ones at the house had a note saying "let me help you." People are going to come out of the woodwork looking for cash from him. The man is under plenty of stress despite the good fortune.

How come large winners like this cannot remain anonymous? Do they have to go all over the national media? If I won and had to believe me I am wearing a ski mask.....

Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
$2M is about $80-$100k a year in income, or about $70k a year tax-free, without even touching the $2m principal. That basically puts you in the top 20% of households in the US in terms of income and you don't even have to work. Having $2m to invest actually puts you in the top 1%.
Probably closer to $60k/year before tax if invested in a 'moderately conservative' portfolio. But your point is well made

It isn't how much money you have that matters it is what you do with it. By the time this guy has taken the cash option and paid taxes he will have about 35% of the headline figure left or around $130 million. Let us make the assumption that he blows $30 million of family, friends, toys, etc. He still has $100 million left. That should buy him $3 million a year and protect his capital against market swings and inflation.

But, is he smart enough to do that?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
A letter among the piled up ones at the house had a note saying "let me help you." People are going to come out of the woodwork looking for cash from him. The man is under plenty of stress despite the good fortune.
I wish I would hit lottery for million, first thing I do is out in a wood burning stove and heat my house with all the letters from people begging me for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
How come large winners like this cannot remain anonymous?
It's done this way in most states to prove there is actually a winner. Otherwise people could claim that the government is pocketing the lottery money claiming the winner wants to remain anonymous.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

But, is he smart enough to do that?
Most people are not, he's also at a disadvantage because he don't speak English, most repeatable investment firms don't cater to non-English speaking Americans. Chances are he'll get hook up with a friend of a friend investment adviser that will bleed him dry over the next ten years.

Personally I could do it, without the so called experts to help me. I'd Re-activate my Etrade account, get a subscription to the Motley Fool and invest accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance