Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Some friends and I were talking.....

How long do you think it will be before the $338M Powerball jackpot winner is cheated out of his money, broke, and/or both.

He doesn't speak English and is a sitting duck for scammers who will approach him to "help" him.

Who the heck goes to the store to validate a huge jackpot ticket like that -- with the entire neighborhood looking on -- and who now knows he won the money? He did that before even contacting the lottery officials.

CLEARLY he has not had enough time to PLAN how to handle the money.

He really has know idea what he's done by doing it this way.

Trust me -- he WILL be broke again.

Is he 'legal?" He's been in the U.S. for 26 YEARS -- and can't speak English?

I'm so done......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
^^^ 3 years tops.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Aren't there any rules for the Lotto? I'm so done too! It's a non fear factor encouraged by gutless politicians. He will likely self destruct.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 AM

He really is going to be taken advantage of. The first day he was seen literally running in the street, away from the media.
He's now put his kids in danger.

It's sad that he really is that unaware of what he's gotten himself -- and his family-- into.

I don't know if Jersey is one of the state where you can stay anonymous. But even if it isn't there are ways to do it in a more controlled fashion than this.

Not that it's the Lottery's job to advise him -- but MAYBE -- MAYBE if he had gone to them first, someone might have asked "are you sure you don't want to get a lawyer first?" But he was on TV before he even went to the lottery office.

PLUS -- I KNOW -- some slick lawyer and CPA -- under the guise of 'let me help and guide" and "protect you from all those OTHER people who'll be out to take advantage of you" -- all the while THEY THEMSELVES -- will be nickel and diming him blind. Their percentages will be outrageous (and he won't know the difference). OR they'll get him to sign something he doesn't understand.

Yep. I don't have a good feeling about how this may end up for him.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Despite the fact he has already made mistakes I'll be the only one so far who is going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I get the impression he is a hard working upstanding person who is putting his family first. I wish him the best as his life will surely change.

As a side note I'd love to have this so-called problem that he has.

Last edited by John13; 03-27-2013 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-27-2013, 03:35 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,126,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Despite the fact he has already made mistakes I'll be the only one so far who is going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I get the impression he is a hard working upstanding person who is putting his family first. I wish him the best as his life will surely change.

As a side note I'd love to that this so-called problem that he has.
Me too.

This board never ceases to amaze me. People here is actually rooting for this man to fail... Wow. How pathetic.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I get the impression he is a hard working upstanding person who is putting his family first.
Who said he wasn't a hardworking person?
But, no. Putting his family first would have been staying quiet, getting situated and not letting everyone in the country -- let alone the neighborhood -- know where he, his wife, and children live.

And I don't think anyone here is ROOTING for him to fail. I just know how vultures can be. And I think the winner has already shown a lack of 'awareness,' and the kind of naivete that clearly makes him vulnerable to people who would take advantage of his situation.

Quote:
This board never ceases to amaze me.
What amazes me is people who despite reading a post assume a person said something s/he didn't say, or responds to a point a post didn't even intimate in any way at all, such as saying people are rooting for him to fail when no one said anything remotely like that.

Last edited by selhars; 03-27-2013 at 04:04 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
I live in a small town, I would never do that..poor guy, yes the vultures will be circling. Oh my gosh, not to mention, he doesn't speak English..wow!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I live in a small town, I would never do that..poor guy, yes the vultures will be circling. Oh my gosh, not to mention, he doesn't speak English..wow!
Now, now, now. No rooting for him to fail. (I'm joking of course)

Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
When his last family member hits him up for his last dime. When will that be? Not long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance