Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
It will be average for the poster here who tend to be above average nationally. Keep up the saving remember millions on welfare are depending on you
I'm sorry, what do you mean they are depending on me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM

38 posts, read 75,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We were both about 50 before we ever had a banked (or brokeraged) balance of more than 100K. I won't count net worth and houses and all that stuff.

So, reading through the posts that makes us either (A) real slow or (B) real honest.

My, my! All these 30 year old millionaires! Who'd have thunk it?!
100k does not a millionaire make...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
Quote:
We were both about 50 before we ever had a banked (or brokeraged) balance of more than 100K. I won't count net worth and houses and all that stuff.

So, reading through the posts that makes us either (A) real slow or (B) real honest.

My, my! All these 30 year old millionaires! Who'd have thunk it?!
Why not count net worth? As for your final point, who claimed to be a millionaire at 30? They just saved 100k.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh H View Post
We were 50 a loooong time ago.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Why not count net worth? As for your final point, who claimed to be a millionaire at 30? They just saved 100k.
Because net worth of most folks took a huge hit in 2007/08. Others took the hit in 1999/2001. Some of them recognize it, but some are in denial.

I just chose to count my bank deposit, that's all. When you are young you tend to believe that your net worth will always increase; I know I did. But it didn't. Gold crashed in 1980, stock market in '87, dot com crash in '99, real estate in '07. Everyone thinks that they are not going to get caught, and I hope you never do, but it's hard to avoid all life's pitfalls and misfortunes.

Happened to my sister. She was busy buying a house in California for 350K. Small house, so I asked her what she would do if the real estate values suddenly dropped. She never hesitated.
"I'd flip it."
She didn't, though. Rode that sucker all the way down to 150K. Just kept putting off selling.

It happens.

We avoided the last real estate crash by owning property free and clear. We have owned some of our properties for 35 years! The people we know who leveraged and then reinvested what they had made all got wiped out. And we know a couple who are still in denial. They think the market will come back. We don't think so.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Nice brag but didn't answer the question.
I don't count 100K until there are 6+ digits in my bank account. In theory I could have been there earlier but my bank account didn't reflect that until the house sale since my equity was tied up in that. I also consider that since it was a net amount (after all sales expenses, mortgage paid off/realtor paid etc.) that it was a realistic point in time number (time being my age).

So to make you feel better, it may have been age 27 when I had a total net worth of 100K+, sell everything I owned including house/cars/retirement accounts/cash value life insurance/baseball cards/ precious metals/coin collection/ star wars figurines/record collection etc.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh H View Post
Sure it does.......a 10% millionaire!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
lol one of those yes the type that like a straight answer.I see ur the type that just assumes and can't tell the difference between a straight answer and assumption
Your assuming too!

My lord. The question is what age did you save 100k. The OPer said it could even be in your home.

The said poster was bragging ( I agree with you there) and made over 100k selling his/her home when they were 29.

It is that simple. I don't know how to explain it any easier. Some folks said they saved 100k through mutual funds and whatnot slowly rising....well this poster made it while selling their home.

Are you that daft?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
Quote:
Because net worth of most folks took a huge hit in 2007/08. Others took the hit in 1999/2001. Some of them recognize it, but some are in denial.

I just chose to count my bank deposit, that's all. When you are young you tend to believe that your net worth will always increase; I know I did. But it didn't. Gold crashed in 1980, stock market in '87, dot com crash in '99, real estate in '07. Everyone thinks that they are not going to get caught, and I hope you never do, but it's hard to avoid all life's pitfalls and misfortunes.

Happened to my sister. She was busy buying a house in California for 350K. Small house, so I asked her what she would do if the real estate values suddenly dropped. She never hesitated.
"I'd flip it."
She didn't, though. Rode that sucker all the way down to 150K. Just kept putting off selling.

It happens.

We avoided the last real estate crash by owning property free and clear. We have owned some of our properties for 35 years! The people we know who leveraged and then reinvested what they had made all got wiped out. And we know a couple who are still in denial. They think the market will come back. We don't think so.
I see what you're saying, but even for those crashes, there is always new life. I got caught in both the big stock market crashes, but stayed the course through each. Didn't panic. In fact, I used them as buying opportunities. Now I'm worth more than ever. As for real estate, yes some markets haven't recovered. Others have. Still others were never really affected at all. Location, location, location, as they say. I agree with you about owning property free and clear. Leveraging is far too risky for my comfort level.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Your assuming too!

My lord. The question is what age did you save 100k. The OPer said it could even be in your home.

The said poster was bragging ( I agree with you there) and made over 100k selling his/her home when they were 29.

It is that simple. I don't know how to explain it any easier. Some folks said they saved 100k through mutual funds and whatnot slowly rising....well this poster made it while selling their home.

Are you that daft?

Didn't mean it to sound like bragging. It was a great house in an even greater zip code (33432), may have seen 200K+ profit plus rental income had I held it 18-24 more months but the house was perfect, didn't know market was going to explode and I didn't want to risk tenants destroying the place. I had also moved out of the area so it wouldn't have been super convenient to rent from afar.

401K wealth is like home equity to me.....it can be there and then gone without ever having the chance to spend it if the market turns.....not a bad outlook because the IRS sees it the same way (un-taxable until you tap it/cash in). 6 digits in a check book is spendable money and most likely won't evaporate overnight. I don't count money I can't see, keeps me motivated to work more. I just had a dormant retirement account jump $9600 in the last quarter (I saw the statement on the counter, it notes the +/- over last quarter). Do I feel $9600 better off, nope still have the same $10 in my wallet I did yesterday and the bills on my desk are exactly what they were on Friday so I still need to go to work tomorrow!

Plenty of 30K millionaires out there.....make 30K and live like they have millions! I would rather think I have 30K while earning millions......(hypothetical, no 7 digit paydays yet)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance