U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 AM

237 posts, read 746,658 times
Default You are fired from your job today, what are your next steps?

You finally make it into the office this morning after fighting that terrible traffic on the Interstate. The moment you come in your boss is waiting for you and demands a meeting. He tells you that it is just not a good fit and he wants you out within 30 minutes. There will no vacation payout, no severance or any bonus.

What next? Will you go to the unemployment office? Will you admit to friends and relatives that you were fired? Will you visit an Attorney?

How long do you expect you will be out of a job? Will you have enough money to pay the rent? Will you face financial ruin? Did the actions of one man come close to ruining your life?

Just curious how an employment termination affects the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM

2,419 posts, read 3,267,656 times
Getting fired is obviously not an emotional high; and one will be upset. However, my main focus would be on the present and future and I wouldn't waste time fretting about the job I just lost. Have been fired before and I just took it for what it was, learned from it and moved on.

Will you go to the unemployment office? Either that or just take temp work in the interim.

Will you admit to friends and relatives that you were fired? I doubt I'd rush to the nearest phone to call everyone, but I wouldn't lie about losing my job.

Will you visit an Attorney? Depends on if I have (and want to spend) the time and emotional strength to last out the year or so it would take to set up a case...and even then you have no guarantee you would win.

How long do you expect you will be out of a job? I'd expect it to take three to six months.

Will you have enough money to pay the rent? Yes, I have savings equal to six months of my current pay and have no debts; so finances would not be a problem.

Did the actions of one man come close to ruining your life?
Absolutely not!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 AM

650 posts, read 1,848,294 times
Well in my case, I know that people aren't my source when it comes to employment....and nowadays, if one has the know-how and willing to work hard, they can try starting their own business.

There is absolutely no point in getting stressed over what someone else did. In my case I work for a temp agency right now and I have done great work for their customers, and never caused problems. Of course you have those that want to give you a hard time too like one customer I was working at; suddenly i gotten the call later that afternoon from the tamp agency saying that the customer didnt want me to come back.

I won't go into detail as to why, but I know it wasn't anything I did. But when I was told the news I just let the agency know that I wasn't worried and that it's their loss, plain and simple. I don't have time to stress and fret over stuff other people do, because life is too short.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM

4,503 posts, read 5,871,343 times
gee, that is pretty much how all jobs wind up for me.

Actually I call that VACATION TIME ! ! ! !

What's to stress over?

But for real, I do projects -- so I am always working myself out of a job.

And I really do enjoy the breaks.

But I suppose I do not really fit your "average person" requirement. Just another point of view.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM

2,522 posts, read 35,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
You finally make it into the office this morning after fighting that terrible traffic on the Interstate. The moment you come in your boss is waiting for you and demands a meeting. He tells you that it is just not a good fit and he wants you out within 30 minutes. There will no vacation payout, no severance or any bonus.

What next? Will you go to the unemployment office? Will you admit to friends and relatives that you were fired? Will you visit an Attorney?

How long do you expect you will be out of a job? Will you have enough money to pay the rent? Will you face financial ruin? Did the actions of one man come close to ruining your life?

Just curious how an employment termination affects the average person.

I can't get fired from my job. I have a freelance business with several clients. However, over the past 10 months, I lost my two largest clients who were responsible for 95 percent of my business. Sometimes clients disappear with no explanation. Usually it's due to a change in their business model. I moved back in with my father for a while to save money and I did a lot of cold calling. Now I have several new clients and I'm busy again. I'm actually glad that one of my clients disappeared because the work was tedious and boring. I'm glad I'm not dependent on them anymore. Losing a job is not something I stress over. I have a lot of balls in the air. If one drops, I know I'll survive.

Greenie

Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 AM

3,589 posts, read 33,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I'd at least want to know why.

Quote:
No, probably, and probably not.

Quote:
Hopefully no more than a few weeks, yes, no, and no.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM

169 posts, read 414,092 times
Okay, between this thread and and several others scattered across the forum(s) I am now firmly convinced that if "goodtype" isn't the reincarnation of Dingler, he/she is is definitely his long-lost twin! LOL

It's really funny.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,552,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Okay, between this thread and and several others scattered across the forum(s) I am now firmly convinced that if "goodtype" isn't the reincarnation of Dingler, he/she is is definitely his long-lost twin! LOL

It's really funny.
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 PM

17,713 posts, read 20,474,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
So was I

Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM

79 posts, read 191,760 times
I'd take 2 months off, but I would be sending out feelers and checking contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance