Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Also, be aware that even if it is covered by the PBGC, that insurance doesn't cover the pensions 100% in the event your company goes bankrupt. I think it's more like 60% and it's capped at an income of around 45K (don't quote me exactly on that...just ballpark figures).

This is one of those issues where it might be a good idea to see a fee only financial planner. Of course, the problem with planners is they want to sell you an annuity, whether you need one or not, and that goes for some fee only planners as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
If your pension contribution does not include SSI taxes then, your social security benefits will be reduced..so it maybe good option to cash out now.

Link: How pensions affect your Social Security benefit

PBGC only pays upto a certain extent and the agency is running a deficit. so you may only get 50% to 80% or even less of the guaranteed amount.

Link: What to expect if the PBGC takes over your pension - MarketWatch
For a pension like he was talking about that is going to pay him less than $11k per year, I would be fairly confident he will get most if not all of it from the PBGC. Certainly a better move than taking that ridiculous buyout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Jeez... I was feeling good about this, now after reading a few more posts... back to feeling on the fence again......

Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Jeez... I was feeling good about this, now after reading a few more posts... back to feeling on the fence again......

Dude, it isn't even close. Taking the buyout would be a colossal mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance