Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,758,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The banks never help? Lol well that's not true
Let's just say I share your "lowexpectations" that they will, although some banks are more willing than others to go to bat for their clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,385,078 times
Sounds shady...

http://www.loans4me.com/

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
Someone sent a bogus check to my Ally Bank account there was never any funds take from this bogus check but my account is frozen I had credit problems because being sick with Cancer just got the call from social security that I have been approved by SSI and I will be deposited into this frozen account they would not open me another account do to my credit even though they know about my cancer because I had to tell them when I called I had to use a electronic device to talk to them can any body tell me what I can do I need this account but I need my SSI payments and don't need them tied up so I can't pay more bill this is why my credit is bad now not working because of cancer I could not pay what I did not have

Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,945,121 times
Will SS deposit the money into a Wal-Mart debit card? See if you can speak with someone at your local legal aid. Once that money goes in it seems like you may not have access to it. Call a tv station. Maybe they have a consumer action show. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,505,559 times
dont know if you have tried it yet, but go to a brokerage and open an account with them. you can deposit checks into them. if you dont want to invest, just leave it as cash, then you can have them send a check when you want to take it out. also once tou have an account, they have a "bank" service too so you can open a bank account with them. like charles schwab and scottrade

find one with a low or no minimum initial cash, i would pick one with a brick store near you. one reason i dont like online banks is when there is a problem, i like going in and talking to manager in person

Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,477,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
dont know if you have tried it yet, but go to a brokerage and open an account with them. you can deposit checks into them. if you dont want to invest, just leave it as cash, then you can have them send a check when you want to take it out. also once tou have an account, they have a "bank" service too so you can open a bank account with them. like charles schwab and scottrade

find one with a low or no minimum initial cash, i would pick one with a brick store near you. one reason i dont like online banks is when there is a problem, i like going in and talking to manager in person

This might actually be a good idea. I don't think we check whatever is check system for clearance that the banks use

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 06-14-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM

564 posts, read 871,530 times
I have had issues with fraud/theft on various accounts over the last 8 years. It is a pain when they shut down the account. We now have 2 checking accounts, 2 money markets and 2 credit cards so that if/when an account gets hit, we have a backup. This has come in handy several times already.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,948,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think Ally is an online bank, good reason not to use them and a warning to others.
I have used Ally Bank for years without a single problem.

Ally.com was recognized as "Best Online Bank" 2011-2015 by MONEY® Magazine.

Best Banks in America | TIME

Quote:
Best Online Bank
Winner: Ally Bank
Branches: None
Repeating last year’s performance, online banks walloped all sizes of brick-and-mortars; the 15 web-only institutions MONEY surveyed commonly offered free checking and high rates on savings. Plus, since the banks typically don’t have their own ATMs, you won’t be charged to use another bank’s machine — and you may even be reimbursed for that institution’s surcharges.
Ally.com pays significantly better interest rates on savings accounts, money market accounts and Certificates of Deposits than any of the brick and mortar banks in my area.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,416,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have used Ally Bank for years without a single problem.

Ally.com was recognized as "Best Online Bank" 2011-2015 by MONEY® Magazine.

Best Banks in America | TIME

Ally.com pays significantly better interest rates on savings accounts, money market accounts and Certificates of Deposits than any of the brick and mortar banks in my area.
Maybe, but if I have a problem with Wells Fargo (which happens occasionally, given that my family and businesses have over 20 accounts with them), I go to the branch by my house, and they get on the phone for me and make the problem go away. So far, in all the years I've banked with them, I've never had a problem they couldn't fix for me within 2 visits. Sometimes, I left them paperwork to research and make a few calls, and then come back later to finish resolving it, but every problem was always fixed.

If I have a problem with an online bank, there is nothing stopping them from hanging up on me, or just telling me there is nothing they can do to help me, which is what at least two people in this thread have experienced with Ally. Plus there is no sense of urgency for them to get it dealt with when there isn't a face standing in their office.

I'll keep the face to face brick and mortar, and earn a bit less interest. In the meantime, I have my CDs at a local brick and mortar credit union. I haven't seen anyone online offering better than the 2.1-2.3% I'm getting on them, including Ally. In fact, Ally is only offering 1.65% on the "high yield 5 year CD", not even close to what I'm getting from my brick and mortar. I just bought another CD Friday at 2.3%. Plus, some of mine have a bump up available if rates go up further.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:29 PM

6,607 posts, read 7,289,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I have had issues with fraud/theft on various accounts over the last 8 years. It is a pain when they shut down the account. We now have 2 checking accounts, 2 money markets and 2 credit cards so that if/when an account gets hit, we have a backup. This has come in handy several times already.
These are two good reasons to have backups. I would go for 4 cc co's. These can be compromised rather easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance