Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So go take classes to acquire a marketable skill, there are plenty of financial aid resources for low income/no income people. Goodwill and Salvation Army both have programs as well, contact them.
Save your breath. He doesn't want to improve himself... just to get online and complain about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Somebody in the house got into my room - probably when I was sleeping, as I always lock it when going out - and stole $2000 worth of stuff I was going to sell on eBay. Some of it wasn't even mine, it was stuff I was going to sell (over the summer) for someone else..

The drunk who rents out the rooms doesn't seem too concerned, everything in this house is all about him anyway. How far would he freak out if I told him I used the rent and utility money to hire a lawyer?

And how can I stop obsessing about this? Trite advice like "It's only money" and "You can earn that money back" don't work on me because I live on a poverty-level income and earning a meaningful amount of money is very difficult for me. (Ever heard of Amazon Mechanical Turk? I've spent time there making $1 per hour.)
Did you file a police report? As far as obsessing goes, I recommend clonazepam.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:10 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
Quote:
Somebody in the house got into my room - probably when I was sleeping, as I always lock it when going out - and stole $2000 worth of stuff I was going to sell on eBay. Some of it wasn't even mine, it was stuff I was going to sell (over the summer) for someone else..

The drunk who rents out the rooms doesn't seem too concerned, everything in this house is all about him anyway. How far would he freak out if I told him I used the rent and utility money to hire a lawyer?

And how can I stop obsessing about this? Trite advice like "It's only money" and "You can earn that money back" don't work on me because I live on a poverty-level income and earning a meaningful amount of money is very difficult for me. (Ever heard of Amazon Mechanical Turk? I've spent time there making $1 per hour.)
If you are that poor why did you sit on $2000 worth of stuff that you were going to sell on eBay over a period of months? I would of sold it long before it possibly would of gotten stolen. If this stuff was worth $2000 that would mean it was 3-4 times that amount new. So you had $10k worth of stuff and you are only renting a room?

Sounds like a bunch of bs to me. The stuff probably was only worth $200-400.

Your obsessing over something because its your fault but you want to blame it on someone else. It's your responsibility to secure your "stuff", if it was worth that much to begin with, renters insurance would of been smart. I would also have changed the locks. I would of sold something and bought a nanny camera to see who was entering my room when I wasn't there, then I would of had hard evidence if something did get stolen.

Hopefully you will learn from your mistake.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
wouldn't it be great if the landlord took out some renters insurance to cover what's lost in his home by his renters? I guess you asked him already.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. Can you keep your stuff at someone else's home ?
Sounds like you're in a bad situation that won't get any better. Keep your eyes/ears out for another place to live. Do roommates need to put any money down or do they just move in and start paying rent ?

And that $2K is gone. Go ahead and obsess about it for a while and get it off your chest.
Then resolve to change your situation. Think out of the box.

What about being an apt manager or empty home caretaker ? (just some food for thought).

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
If I lived in a house with a bunch of people I don't know I would be locking the door while I sleep for sure. You will get nowhere trying to get anything for your stolen stuff. File a police report and live and learn.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
My last year of college, finances were getting very low - had to live in that kind of place. Really a motivator to make a living, and get the hell out of that once I got the degree.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Sometimes, life hands us really tough situations that no amount of ranting, obsessing or 'get over it advice' can change. In reality, nobody can control or change everything in their life so that only 'good stuff' gets in. Of course, if one's trust is in the Lord and not the world, even the 'bad stuff' is manageable.

At this point, many come to the realization that they can either "get bitter ... or get better." Several of your responses suggest that you have chosen the former, which is unfortunate, because 'getting bitter' only damages you. --- Suck it up; put on your 'big boy pants' and get on with life! Also, consider trusting in God instead of only yourself or the world --- There are a lot more important things in life than 'stuff' - and the sooner one learns that, the better prepared they are to go after the really important stuff.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Surely you joke!

Plenty of financial aid resources for low income/no income people?

This doesn't even merit a response!
It's not a joke. I've done the math. I could quit my job and get a little part-time minimum-wage job and actually increase my discretionary income due to the assistance available. And that's not counting the extra money I could make in the extra free time I'd have to do odd jobs "under the table."

Damn principles anyway......

Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I would get my stuff back from the other person in the house and let them realize its probably not a good idea to steal my crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance