Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Insurance is awfully high also.
Not really, given that she's very young (as I recall from another thread) and of course is carrying full coverage on a late-model car. And living in NYC, IIRC.

I mean, yes, it's high, and certainly more than one taking home $1850 a month should plan to spend; but no higher than I'd expect given the circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I agree that the car payment is ridiculous, and the cell phone bill is strangely high. But 193/month for car insurance is pretty common for my region (PA/NJ/NY) if you're young, and it looks like she's in or near NYC.

I've never had a ticket and now that I'm in my 40s, my car insurance has finally gone down to under 100/month (but now that I'm old I can afford to pay every 6 months and get a discount). So if she's young and has had even one ticket or accident, I could easily see the car insurance being that high. For males it's even worse.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Wait, that's just car insurance?!

I realize some regions are way more expensive, but $200/month is insane. I drive a brand new sports car and full coverage is only ~$40/month. It was higher when I lived on the east coast (roughly double), but nowhere approaching that level of insanity.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Guess you didn't live in northern NJ.

Also, consider that she has an insanely expensive car. The lease or financing agreement probably requires her to carry a high level of insurance. That's why a 1-2 yr old used car is usually the best way to go, especially for young people and people who don't earn a lot.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
why are some of you telling her to get a better job? Maybe she loves her job. Maybe getting a better paying job isn't an option.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
As others have stated, your expenses are too high. You should have shopped around when looking for a cell phone plan and auto insurance. You could afford the rent if you have something in the bank. If not, what do studio apartments cost in your area? If that's not cheap enough, than consider finding a roommate. There is nothing wrong with that, and quite common when you're young. Many folks starting out in their professions around here have roommates.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
why are some of you telling her to get a better job? Maybe she loves her job. Maybe getting a better paying job isn't an option.
If she wants to move and rent a place, she needs more money. Quite simple, really.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
As others have stated, your expenses are too high. You should have shopped around when looking for a cell phone plan and auto insurance. You could afford the rent if you have something in the bank. If not, what do studio apartments cost in your area? If that's not cheap enough, than consider finding a roommate. There is nothing wrong with that, and quite common when you're young. Many folks starting out in their professions around here have roommates.
I always thought it was more fun to have a roommate anyways, not actually sharing a room though, but living in my own place at a young age would have been boring.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If she wants to move and rent a place, she needs more money. Quite simple, really.
No. She needs to cut expenses.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Ok, then she can't have the apartment if she can't get or doesn't want a better paying job. Trade offs must be made, and I think that's what the posters are trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance