Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
I mean really--what can you really buy an adult for $20 which they "need"?
Last year I bought my brother in law a CD he really wanted but couldn't find. I found it while digging through cds at my local music store. He LOVED the gift not because I bought him something but because I spent my time searching for something I knew he would love. There are lots of things you can buy an adult for $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
As a father, grandfather, greatgrandfather, husband, friend, boss (with outstanding staff) - I have budgeted a "little" more than -0-

My oldest grandson and his wife just had a baby - they are young and struggling - they are getting a new home

Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM

168 posts, read 1,211,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Last year I bought my brother in law a CD he really wanted but couldn't find. I found it while digging through cds at my local music store. He LOVED the gift not because I bought him something but because I spent my time searching for something I knew he would love. There are lots of things you can buy an adult for $20.
Sounds like you found something meaningful to him, and certainly that's great. What I meant was that most of us can afford to go buy ourselves whatever we want, if it costs $20. On the other hand, if you donate to a charity you can provide someone with something they would never have been able to afford.

If it's something really meaningful, like what you got your BIL, then I could see spending the $20 on it. But if you're kind of searching for something someone would like....why not spend that $20 on a charity and have them send a card to the person you're buying for...most people would appreciate you wouldn't be adding to their "stuff" and would like that you've done something meaningful in their names. And the recipient would of course be very grateful.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM

120 posts, read 130,529 times
I used to love Christmas and everything about it, but gee, can you get tired of it? It comes around sooner and sooner every year. After many years of buying the same people gifts you start running out of ideas. This year the money just isn't there like in the past. I'm sure most people are in the same boat this year. Well, my kids have grown but no grandkids yet and I guess I'm in the inbetween years. Last year a couple of weeks before Christmas the Christmas spirit hit me and then I started to get into it. I think everyone should handle Christmas to what there spirit is as we are at different times of our lifes when its more enjoyable than other years, but wouldn't it be nice to say Hey, I'm taking a year off this time!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
There's no rule that says you have to exchange gifts, but I don't think that's what you're asking. You seem to be upset that your relatives are ungrateful for "the thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts." Either you've been burnt too many times or you're stingy or maybe both.

Gift giving is suppose to be a happy and joyous occasion for both the giver and the receiver.

If you're not happy about it, don't give.
Why does it have to be black and white? My guess is that the OP probably overgives in a lot of areas, not just xmas. She feels like she has to do a lot for other people and probably has a pattern of overdoing it. She probably feels resentful that she gives and gives and people are not appreciative enough or don't give back. Not only that but she wears herself out! So the key is to learn to hold back more for yourself. Find a comfortable medium.

greenie

Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecup View Post
I used to love Christmas and everything about it, but gee, can you get tired of it?
NEVER!!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecup View Post
I used to love Christmas and everything about it, but gee, can you get tired of it? It comes around sooner and sooner every year. After many years of buying the same people gifts you start running out of ideas. This year the money just isn't there like in the past. I'm sure most people are in the same boat this year. Well, my kids have grown but no grandkids yet and I guess I'm in the inbetween years. Last year a couple of weeks before Christmas the Christmas spirit hit me and then I started to get into it. I think everyone should handle Christmas to what there spirit is as we are at different times of our lifes when its more enjoyable than other years, but wouldn't it be nice to say Hey, I'm taking a year off this time!
Thank you! I'm already sick of the commercials and music that started BEFORE HALLOWEEN WAS OVER. It's slightly ridiculous. I'm only buying my immediate family gifts, and that's just because I feel obligated. I'd rather make a fuss over people on their birthdays than Christmas.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,690,836 times
I always enjoy the Christmas season, it's always fun to get caught up in the holiday spirit. I never have really set a budget per say, I try to go under X amount of dollars but I don't set it in stone. I mean after buying for aunts/uncles, newphews/nieces, parents, siblings, co-workers, friends; it gets fairly expensive but I enjoy doing it. My money is best spent seeing my newphews and nieces eyes light up when they open their presents.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
We do gifts, though we spend a bit less.

For example; we lived in Scotland for a few years, so we sent everyone knitted wool items each year.

And we lived in Italy for a few years, so one Winter Solstice Holiday we sent each of my siblings, parents and cousins an Italian stock pot filled with various pastas and a recipe book.

We sometimes send jars of honey. My DW does mason jars filled with fruit-breads, or maybe chocolate drink mix with mini-marshmallows in it.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do gifts, though we spend a bit less.

For example; we lived in Scotland for a few years, so we sent everyone knitted wool items each year.

And we lived in Italy for a few years, so one Winter Solstice Holiday we sent each of my siblings, parents and cousins an Italian stock pot filled with various pastas and a recipe book.

We sometimes send jars of honey. My DW does mason jars filled with fruit-breads, or maybe chocolate drink mix with mini-marshmallows in it.
Wonderful gift ideas! Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance