Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

Supposing, for some reason, you discovered that you had to immediately reduce your household budget by 10%. What are the ongoing expenses that you would cut? This has to be things that you would actually do without -- no fair re-scheduling loan payments or reducing your savings input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Smaller apartment.

1bd apartment for ~$700 instead of the 3bd house I'm in. Only saves $250 on rent, but then utilities would be about $200 cheaper as well, so that's $450.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What are the ongoing expenses that you would cut?
What are the ongoing expenses that you CAN cut?

The choices are limited to the expenses that don't have contracts.
So... no moving (lease) and no car loan changes either... at least not right off.

That leaves discretionary items: meals out, prepared foods, entertainment, etc.
Maybe juggling unsecured loans or forsaking some savings...
Finding an extra bit of income will probably work better than all these.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM

846 posts, read 1,880,476 times
10%....drive less, eat less, eat in, price match everything at wal-mart, quit tobacco, quit drinking anything but water, get an evening job at a restaurant where a shift meal is free, cut the cable, cut the internet, go to the library, quit the gym membership, sell the cars with payments, pay cash for a jalopy, lower the coverage amounts on your insurance, quit using credit cards, decrease what you contribute to your 401k, do a paycheck audit and disenroll from all the gimmicks "benefits" that you will never use...there is a reason these items are so cheap. Dump the smart phone, get a prepaid cellular, have a huge garage sale, pay off debt, work harder at work, get a promotion/raise.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Quote:
Supposing, for some reason, you discovered that you had to immediately reduce your household budget by 10%. What are the ongoing expenses that you would cut? This has to be things that you would actually do without -- no fair re-scheduling loan payments or reducing your savings input.
Nothing. We live well within our means and a 50% reduction would still be easily absorbed.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Nothing. We live well within our means and a 50% reduction would still be easily absorbed.
I believe the OP's question is: how would you absorb it? If you can absorbs 50% reduction without cutting any expenses, that would be a sign of fairly poor finance management.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you can absorbs 50% reduction without cutting any expenses,
that would be a sign of fairly poor finance management.
Or a VERY boring life without much fun or interesting going on.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
Probably less driving and also maybe cutting back on my going out budget & eat less.

Ultimatly, it would also help to get a cheaper apartment.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
I just recently went through this exercise, and have successfully cut my spending probably by about 5%, but i didn't try very hard

one of my larger monthly expenses is gas. I've been using gasbuddy to find cheaper stations. I just found one that is on average about 25 cents less per gallon, combined with driving more carefully, i've cut about 5% of my gas budget - but this could easily fluctuate higher. the other thing we're trying to do is shop smarter. i would completely eliminate eating out, which would cut about another 2% from my total, but figure half that would be replaced by new grocery spending. I just did a rough calculation and i could cut 5.5% of my budget almost immediately by:

cutting down on driving to reduce gas by 5%
cancel netflix
cancel beer-of-the-month club
eliminate eating out
brown bag it 5 days a week instead of 3-4
eliminate occasional housekeeping/cleaning lady visits

the rest of my budget is pretty tight. I could knock another 1.2% out by cancelling cable/internet/phone - but i'm not sure i'd be too content with no internet, and keeping just internet would be almost the same as keeping my entire package (i work for the company so get a decent discount)

the biggest place i could cut is if i got insanely frugal, and unhealthy, with my grocery shopping. lol

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
It's a lot tougher than it sounds. I have four kids and a wife who stays home. Every dollar is allocated. We rarely eat out. Most of our money is spent on necessities: mortgage, utilities, gas, food, insurance, taxes.

I could cut kids' activities, cable, two Roth IRAs, 401(k), Education IRAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance