Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Well, let's look at my situation:

I have a military pension of $1,293
I have a mortgage on My land of ~$324
(I have enough cash to pay it off set back)
No other debt.

No lines to my property (solar, septic etc)

Live in my airstream (take it places for work)
And Monday or Tuesday they will start on my metal building I'm paying cash for (shop and guest quarters)

My taxes are well under the homesteading exemption...
Will be after the building is done.

Orchard goes in this fall...

I'm not Invonerable, but it'll be hard.

I do work, in a nontraditional way, but part of the goal is to have the fallback of being able to live on my pension.
It's pretty secure.

In a financial meltdown your pension check will surely stop.....as will social security checks, welfare checks, etc. Plenty of folks in Greece found that out recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
To the OP........the worst thing about owning your house in a meltdown is that (too many)
(will have too much of their total assets) tied up in it and you can't (afford to jettison the
responsibility if/when needed
).
otoh... if the house is less than 20% of your assets and especially if it is 100% paid for...
then even multiple SHTF events can be weathered with some maneuvering.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
As far as taking your home I cannot answer that for you. I would not see any legal reasons why a paid off home can be taken but I'm not expert either.
Not paying your taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The best protection against the sky falling would be paid off everything, no debt, AND LOTS of savings. Without savings I'm not sure being debt-free will protect against "the sky falling." One might even ask if SAVINGS aren't more important than having no debt, or a debt free home.
Banks fail your mortgage is gone. Sky falls what would consumer debt matter? System breaks down, what use is paper?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
In a financial meltdown your pension check will surely stop.....as will social security checks, welfare checks, etc. Plenty of folks in Greece found that out recently.
Yep.

But then so should my taxes.

After I'm done building I will have cash reserves for MORE than 5 years.

I also have stocks (in this situation should also be hard hit)

But i have a decent little pile of gold and silver I bought before the run up.

All in all.... I'd have something to worry about after 10 years+

As I said I also work, the orchard should be producing in a fraction of that time..... I don't plan on being entirely nonproductive for the next decade!

Perfect, no. Pretty secure.... I think so.
I also don't see that level of financial instability.

We are too big. Failing quality of life, sure. Inflation or deflation, sure.
Chaos, not for an length of time.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM

169 posts, read 193,704 times
SHTF you don't want debt, you want physical assets, you want land removed from large metropolitan areas, you want food, water, and LOTS of brass and lead lol.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering as so many talk of the problems that are nation is having. Here is my question.

Lets say that you have no consumer debt. Your home is debt free. You don't have any student loan debts. Do you have to worry if the banks fail? Do you have to worry if the sky falls?

It just seems that someone who owes no one would have more protection than someone who owes on a home or some other kind of debt.

Is it possible to still lose a paid off home? If the world falls apart could someone take my home?

No it is not paid off, just wondering.
Well, I think you still have to worry about the system failing because everyone, from the heavily indebted to the massively wealthy relies on the system for everything - jobs, goods, infrastructure, government services, etc.

If the system collapsed and we were in a recession, being debt free might help at first - but at the end of the day, I'd rather be in debt and have a job, rather than debt free and a homeless person begging on the street.

Not to say it is fine to have debt (well, depends on the debt), just that there is much more than simply being debt free.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Well, I think you still have to worry about the system failing because everyone, from the heavily indebted to the massively wealthy relies on the system for everything - jobs, goods, infrastructure, government services, etc.

If the system collapsed and we were in a recession, being debt free might help at first - but at the end of the day, I'd rather be in debt and have a job, rather than debt free and a homeless person begging on the street.

Not to say it is fine to have debt (well, depends on the debt), just that there is much more than simply being debt free.
but those are not the only options...

You can be debt free and have a home and a job.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
but those are not the only options...

You can be debt free and have a home and a job.
Sure you can - but my point was that if they sky falls and the economy collapses, debt will become a mostly moot issue, so I would not make myself debt free simply to prepare for economic calamity.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Sure you can - but my point was that if they sky falls and the economy collapses, debt will become a mostly moot issue, so I would not make myself debt free simply to prepare for economic calamity.
I don't think ANYTHING should be done to prepare for such a thing.

You should look at what is most likely to happen.

"personal disasters"
Job loss, illness, car wreck, unexpected expenses etc.... Are MUCH More likely.

But the thing is, EVERYTHING has its impact lessened by being out of debt (all else being equal)

People in Ireland, cypress, etc... Which have had economis issues STILL had their mortgage payment.
(I'm not sure about Zimbabwe)
Thinking post-disaster will wipe out debt is a foolish risk.

I look at it like this:

No matter what, job loss, injury, hurricane, or little green men landing from mars....

I want to eat tomorrow, I want to take a shower, and I want a safe place to sleep.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Here is our plan for now:

Pay off the home in 120 more payments.

Increase our contributions to our retirement account.

Pay off the student loans in under 10 years.

Yes we will always pay the property tax on the home. No problems there.

Work is somewhat secure. I don't believe any job is 100% secure but it looks as if I could stay at the same place for the remainder of my life if I choose to and am able to keep working. To top it off I love what I do.

Anyway, I had read some other threads on similar subjects and wondered does it matter if the house is paid off. Thank's for the thoughts so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance