Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,562 times

Advertisements

Hi there. this is a duplicate from unemployment forum. I was hoping to get an answer for this question as it is critical for my filing:

Hi so.. basically I did not file taxes in 2007 and the IRS just realized it. I guess i'm facing a bunch of fees * interest * hell but for now i am not sure how bad it'll be so i'm hoping for the best.

My question is about unemployment benefits I received back in 2007. After getting around 13k i was deemed not worthy of them and was put in an overpayment plan that I am still paying off. The thing is, I had federal withholding on that amount back in 2007.

Now, when filing the taxes for 2007, do i need to claim that unemployment income in my income sheet? I'm using TurboTax 2007 and it asked me "amount of unemployment repaid" but i am unsure since we're talking about 2007 here. So basically:
1) Do i report the 13k income w/ ~1,300 withholding?
or
2) 1, but make adjustments based on the amount i paid back since then? or can i just write that i'm paying it all back so therefore it wasnt an income in 2007?

Thanks!!
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDohDoh123 View Post

Now, when filing the taxes...
W2 or 1099 or CASH or by any other means... ALL income from any source is to be reported.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 PM

thanks for the reply.

Since i'm paying it back it's not really an income though.. no? More like a loan?

My follow up question is, when can i get reimbursed for the money that was withheld for the IRS? I mean, it's bad enough that i'm paying the money i got, but i am also paying for money that was withheld from me!

That's why i figured i could report the money withheld but not the income meaning that i already overpaid my taxes.. or something like that

again, thanks for all and any help inthe subject

Tom

Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDohDoh123 View Post
Since i'm paying it back it's not really an income though.. no?
Did you receive a W2 or 1099 with your name, SSN and dollar amount numbers on it?
(btw... The IRS knows the answer to this question)

Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Hehe i was not implying i was thinking of not reporting it, just figured maybe there's a "return income" option..

So is it basically a sunk cost? I am paying NJ their unemployment back + IRS withheld but dont get to report that amount as a 'lost'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance