Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,404 times

Advertisements

I recently had an auto accident happen (a parking garage metal door ripped the roof rack off my car, came down on it suddenly as I was driving through). The garage is paying for it through their insurance. I had estimates done and it came to about 2400 bucks. Their adjuster sent me a check for 2100 bucks. I deposited that and went ahead today and dropped off the car at the repair shop that cost 2400. I assumed i would cut a check for what it cost and their insurance would pay the rest...I hope i am right on that but now not so sure, did i screw myself by depositing that check?

Will the garage insurance pay the rest of the fix over what they sent me?
There is a chance it will cost more, once they dive into the repair...will insurance pay that difference?
Will their insurance still give me a check for diminished value?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
1. No.
2. Maybe, You can put claim in on your Ins. but would be unlikely to be over the Deductible, so you would pay the whole thing away.
3. No

You can ask the Body Shop to Get its price down, maybe there are some things they can skip when doing the repair. (Also you are under no requirement to fix it 'back to new' (unless its a leased car).

Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
no; you can still seek the full amount as you never really settled anything permanently. I'd let the body shop call the insurance company to discuss their estimates being different.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,404 times
This must be how they hose people...obviously next time I'll know, but I've never dealt with someone else's insurance in a situation like this.

I'm sick to my stomach as i'm probably out thousands of dollars now for this education.

Can I get my insurance Involved, pay my deductible to get a check for the diminished value and rest of the repairs?

Last edited by carrot; 07-13-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM

846 posts, read 1,880,990 times
body shop "supplements" are common practice. Depositing a check does not necessarily release liability. Tell your shop to prepare the supplement and go over it with you so you can see what the differences between the estimate and the final bill.

Then call the insurance company. When you call them, be sure to also point out that they owe for a rental car while you are out of a car (if they have not given one to you), also you can try to negotiate pay for your time and "loss of use" of your vehicle (if you did NOT get a rental). The flip side of this is you can always file a claim under your insurance, pay your deductible and your insurance company will subrogate them to get the money back. You should not be out of any coin due to someone else's negligence.

YMMV.

Last edited by midwestlaxer; 07-13-2013 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance