Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:34 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Yes when I was in college. I had maxed out my credit cards and my car broke. I let it sit for a month till I got paid again. Started to sell plasma to get food money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
Was single with two kids, living in an apartment that substandard, but only cost $220/month in 1989. Wasn't getting child support. Was able to get WIC and that's what we ate on for months. Had to walk to work. When the ceiling collapsed after a hard rain, had to move up the street to a more expensive apartment. didn't have money for food most months. Then that apartment flooded during every rain. Had to move to a more expensive apartment and was able to get food stamps. Had to take the bus to and from work for two years. Had to endure the bums peeing on the seats and making lewd comments every day. It was worth it because we had a decent apartment and food for the kids. I remember going to the dollar store for Christmas and birthdays and the kids thinking everything was alright because they got presents. Shopped at garage sales for clothes. It was a struggle for many years.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
I am so broke and have been since my Dad passed away in 1999. Before that I lived an easy carefree upper-middle class life with no worries. Ever since he passed away I have gone to living paycheck to paycheck. NOW I have no money for groceries, diapers, or food for me, my husband or my 2 daughters. I have a full-time accounting job that I have had for 5 years now and have searched and searched for a part time job with no luck. I have had numerous health issues because of the stress of not being able to provide for me and my family and have mountains and mountains of medical debt because of it. My medicine for Fibromyalgia cost $235 a month and I have to take it for the rest of my life. I have absolutely no credit card debt so I am not irresponsible with my money. How did this happen? My bank account is overdrawn by 800 because of automated bill payments that I had no money for. I had to cancel my car insurance and am now driving around without insurance. My husband has not had a consistent job since 2003. he gets laid off all the time. I need help. Where can I make money legally? Why won't anyone hire me for a part-time job? I know money doesn't buy happiness but this debt is killing me, literally. Forgot to add that because of my income I do not qualify for any government help, by how much you ask? If I earned 300 less I would qualify! UUGGHHHHH

Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola7 View Post
I am so broke and have been since my Dad passed away in 1999. Before that I lived an easy carefree upper-middle class life with no worries. Ever since he passed away I have gone to living paycheck to paycheck. NOW I have no money for groceries, diapers, or food for me, my husband or my 2 daughters. I have a full-time accounting job that I have had for 5 years now and have searched and searched for a part time job with no luck. I have had numerous health issues because of the stress of not being able to provide for me and my family and have mountains and mountains of medical debt because of it. My medicine for Fibromyalgia cost $235 a month and I have to take it for the rest of my life. I have absolutely no credit card debt so I am not irresponsible with my money. How did this happen? My bank account is overdrawn by 800 because of automated bill payments that I had no money for. I had to cancel my car insurance and am now driving around without insurance. My husband has not had a consistent job since 2003. he gets laid off all the time. I need help. Where can I make money legally? Why won't anyone hire me for a part-time job? I know money doesn't buy happiness but this debt is killing me, literally. Forgot to add that because of my income I do not qualify for any government help, by how much you ask? If I earned 300 less I would qualify! UUGGHHHHH
If you voted for Obama you have nothing to worry about!!

Or quit your stressfull fulltime job and get a less paying one so you qualify for Obama help.

File chapter 7 bankruptcy!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Why if you "voted" for Obama. Obama help? That's is sad advise to give to anyone.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Ok, here's mine. When I was 18 I was homeless (long story) and worked as a short order cook in a really crappy restaurant. I had no car, no savings, nothing. Out of desperation I applied for and got an apartment even though I knew I couldn't make the monthly payment. Actually, I couldn't even afford the first month's rent + security deposit. The only reason I even got the apartment is because I had a friend pose as my employer to verify nonexistent income.

Anyway, and this is TRUE, out of desperation I bought a pick 3 lottery ticket and played $1 box and $1 straight the day before I had to come up with the money. I had never gambled before in my entire life. Yeah, you guessed it, I hit and won exactly enough money for the deposit and rent. My next problem was that I needed a better job. I opened the classified and the only thing advertised that week that was within walking distance was a position for a police dispatcher. The only reason I even applied was because they posted the starting salary and it happened to be exactly what I needed in order to make rent. I campaigned like crazy for that job and got it.

I still struggled to pay for food, but luckily I had a boyfriend who would buy food if I'd cook--I'm a really good cook, among other things

I hate to admit it, but I got a little greedy after the initial win and of course went for the big jackpot. Needless to say I didn't win. I never won anything before that and I've never won anything since. And I don't gamble....oh yeah, and I married that boyfriend. The man's definitely a keeper
Hey, at least you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and got back in the mix. That's half the battle.

As for the lottery, sometimes we need a little luck in life. Just to rely on it.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why if you "voted" for Obama. Obama help? That's is sad advise to give to anyone.
I was being sarcastic!! A lot of people voted for him for free handouts still.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola7 View Post
Is this a joke?

a) Get rid of the unproductive, lazy husband who keeps getting laid off. He's draining you. Right there that should save you money. And improve your stress-related illnesses.

b) Grow up. An adult shouldn't be complaining that she is broke because her Dad passed away 13 years ago.

c) Figure out where you are wasting money (see "a" above) and try to live on the salary from the accounting job without worrying about getting a second job.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM

490 posts, read 650,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
As a young man I got into a very bad spot where I sold my old car to pay rent, had no job, wife was five months pregnant and not working, and had no money at all. I invited someone into the apartment to live in the living room to have enough money to buy food.

I was desperate for work and unskilled and without transportation. Determined to find work I went out one morning and walked to every place of business asking for work. By late afternoon I was over three miles from home but a furniture company hired me as a delivery helper. I walked the three miles to and from work every day and worked there for over six months until I found a better job on a bus line.

Was very poor for a long time but a couple of years later was able to buy a used car and start college at night.

I am now retired after long career in IT but anytime someone tells me how hard it is to find a job I think of that morning humbly walking into every business asking for work.
I'm gonna show this to my unemployed 23 year old step son who's never had a job because and tells us there are none out there.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
I'm gonna show this to my unemployed 23 year old step son who's never had a job because and tells us there are none out there.
I'll bet a lot of young people are setting themselves up to be in the same position. Check back when he is 40 and he will still be coming to you for money.

I know people like this. This one guy parents always helped him. When they passed he was given everything, house, furniture, money, car. The other brother got nothing because the parents said he was doing fine and it was the youngest who needed the help. Years later, he lost the house, car totaled and the he lived out on the street until the 70 yo aunt took him in. Been living there since. Nice huh, this is what parents are doing to the kids when they don't make them take responsibility and coddle too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance