Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,093,058 times

Advertisements

didn't know if this would fit in work and employment (or as someone else coined it, unemployment forum ) or this one, but my last job's 401k, i will get contacted by the 401k company to transfer my funds eventually, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,930,455 times
They might contact you, but it unlikely, They will let your 401K sit in whatever funds you have it in. (or you move it from/to)

You can have it tranfered from the 401K to a IRA, fiduciary to fiduciary. (One Fund company to another) so you can then manage it. Its IMPORTANT that you do not get the check/money There is tax withholding on it, when you deposit it you need to make up the withholding from other sources of money and get a refund when you file taxes the next year.

Best is to have 401K Send it directly to your IRA at some other company.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,665,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
didn't know if this would fit in work and employment (or as someone else coined it, unemployment forum ) or this one, but my last job's 401k, i will get contacted by the 401k company to transfer my funds eventually, right?
unlikely. Most times it will stay in the plan where you left. It is your responsibility to 'roll it over' to an IRA or whatever you want to do with it.

If you like your new plan, contact your new company HR dept and get the phone #'s for your new plan admin to start the process to roll your funds over...

Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM

7,481 posts, read 13,502,993 times
Here is an article to read that covers your options nicely

4 Options for Your 401(k) When Leaving Your Job - The Smarter Investor (usnews.com)

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM

17,681 posts, read 29,630,546 times
Never, ever leave your money in your former employer's 401k.
Roll it into your IRA.

What if your former employer goes bankrupt?
What if they steal the money?
What if you forget about it?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,665,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Never, ever leave your money in your former employer's 401k.
Roll it into your IRA.

What if your former employer goes bankrupt?
What if they steal the money?
What if you forget about it?
I wouldn't say never...that is bad advice.

My former employer is a global top 10 company who uses Vanguard...

My new employer uses JP Morgan Chase w/less options and higher fees..

Like anything else in life if you keep good records w/anything, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,093,058 times
Got it. Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:56 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,664,232 times
There's nothing wrong with leaving a 401k where it is as long as the choices are good. The imperative to roll a 401k over to an IRA is to a great extent something pushed by advisers looking to get their mitts on related advisory fees, and folks repeating their advice. If anything 401ks are marginally safer repositories for retirement savings than IRAs (though that marginal advantage is not enough to justify fees, high ERs, etc.)

Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 AM

106,004 posts, read 107,976,655 times
there is a huge problem leaving money in a plan with a company when you do not have to and 99% of the folks out there who say its okay are not aware of what the issues are. the issues have nothing to do with expenses or choices in investments but have to do with employees in a plan being married..

the problem with leaving money with a former employer is if the employer goes out of business at some point or the plan is terminated for whatever reason you lose access to your money as well as controlling the investments if you want to make switches for months...

it happened to me while i was still with the firm.

the problem is when the plan is terminated for any reason the money is frozen in limbo up until:

all employees AND FORMER EMPLOYEES with money in the plan have spousal consent forms signed and returned.

because the plan is distributing the money all married folk have to have spousal acknowledgment the money is no longer in the company possesion.

that is easy with the existing employees to get but tracking down former employees and following the law running ads in papers takes months.

you are frozen from your money for months. it took 5 months before the laws were satisfied and the plan money released .

why take that risk when you have the option of taking your money under your own control when you leave.

unless you have gone through it you don't even know these laws work like this.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,664,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem with leaving money with a former employer is if the employer goes out of business at some point or the plan is terminated you lose access to your money as well as controlling the investments if you want to make switches for months...
Or weeks, or days. And you're typically warned in advance that it will be happening. And have a chance to do the rollover at that time. I suspect your experience was wildly unique since it resembled what has happened to me not one bit, nor is your story regularly repeated by others who have experienced plan custodian changes or plan terminations, so I suspect there is more to your specific situation than you're exposing, distinctions that would make clear the difference between your special situation and the situation that the OP is asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance