Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,972,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Is your life style as barebones as you think? Can you cut a phone, a TV
service? Do you all NEVER eat out? Does your wife cook EVERYthing from
scratch....and I mean ORIGINAL scratch when a cake, cookies and biscuits were
made with ingredients like flour and eggs, not out of a boxed mix. Does she buy
WHILE chicken instead of already cut up. Most coupons are for PROCESSED boxed
food and junk foods which are more expensive than buying INGREDIENTS. Does she
clean with store bought cleaner or use CHEAP old fashioned home tips like
vinegar and baking soda. I take it you're ONLY shopping at thrift stores, and
don't buy gifts. Do you bag your lunch? Have you cut out all snacking at the
work snack machine?
Just want to point out that as a long time SAHM and family financial wizard it does not usually make financial sense to make everything from "scratch" as people are so fond of saying. Studies have been done to support my claim if you don't want to trust me. And I have to say, with 4 kids and a couple jobs I think "time" is kind of important too. This little detail so many people seem to forget when part of them tries to convince everyone that growing your own wheat and raising chickens is frugal...or whatever. I know that's not what you did here but it's the same thought process that leads to that road.

Anyway, back to topic.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,613,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Just want to point out that as a long time SAHM and family financial wizard it does not usually make financial sense to make everything from "scratch" as people are so fond of saying. Studies have been done to support my claim if you don't want to trust me. And I have to say, with 4 kids and a couple jobs I think "time" is kind of important too. This little detail so many people seem to forget when part of them tries to convince everyone that growing your own wheat and raising chickens is frugal...or whatever. I know that's not what you did here but it's the same thought process that leads to that road.

Anyway, back to topic.!
Agree. I like to garden as a hobby (taking a break this year) but it has never been cost effective. First of all, I have to "rent" space in the community garden... $80... I do get some tools and water but I'm on my own for seeds and anything like spikes, wiring, tomato cages, etc..

I think home made pies are not worth the time. I know some bakeries make them taste just as delicious as those I can make and are worth the expense.. but quick breads and muffins should always come from home in a frugal household.

I always wanted to have chickens but totally against HOA rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance