Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
My girlfriend is suggesting I buy her a $450 blender as a christmas gift (I know it is a bit far away) but I was like WHAT blender costs $450!! Apparently it is some special blender called Vitamix and great for juicing. Why is this so unique that it costs so much more than other juicers? And is it is a good financial decision to invest almost $500 on a blender that just juices, what is the benefit of spending so much money? I am not sold and think it is a waste of money when you can just buy a juicer for $50 or $60, extra money can be used for something more important.
Me, myself personally, no I would not buy a $450 blender. Why? Simple math. There is no way, for my lifestyle purposes to justify that amount of money on something that I would end up dusting it more often than actually using it. For individuals who can afford to have that type of 'knick-knack' around their home and use once in a great while then I say, go for it, to each their own.

That being said, there are people who are dedicated to a particular lifestyle and specific dietary habits wherein such a blender would prove very beneficial and get more than enough use to justify the cost. My brother was very health conscious and did purchase a high end juicer/blender, however, he did use it at least once a day. Again, for me it would not be an investment but rather a waste of my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,395,192 times
I'm debating too myself buying a 100 dollar blended.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 AM

71 posts, read 69,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
My girlfriend is suggesting I buy her a $450 blender

My mom has a $350 blender, that she's used maybe twice a year for the last five years.

But hey, it looks good and matches nicely with the other appliances on the counter!

If she is ONLY your girlfriend and is asking for crazy stuff like this already, I can't even begin to imagine what she'll want once your married.

Ok, I'll try to imagine.

Maybe a $4000 poodle, a $50,000 hybrid, a $1,200,000 home, 365 $200 shirts/blouses/dresses.

This is what I'd do if I had money and a girlfriend that asked for something like that. There are lots of homeless people in San Diego. I would take out my girlfriend for dinner downtown and walk around the city before hand and give $20 bucks to 20 different homeless people. If that made my girlfriend upset that I gave that much money away instead of spending it on her blender, I would dump her.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,917,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If it was something that was going to be used on a daily basis, then yes. If it is something I might only use once a week or a few times a month, I'd go with a cheaper model.

I pay more than that for one purse so paying that for a blender isn't shocking to me.
I'd be fearful of being robbed if I bought expensive things and wore them on the street. Do you go everywhere in your car?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,917,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight12am View Post
My mom has a $350 blender, that she's used maybe twice a year for the last five years.

But hey, it looks good and matches nicely with the other appliances on the counter!

If she is ONLY your girlfriend and is asking for crazy stuff like this already, I can't even begin to imagine what she'll want once your married.

Ok, I'll try to imagine.

Maybe a $4000 poodle, a $50,000 hybrid, a $1,200,000 home, 365 $200 shirts/blouses/dresses.

This is what I'd do if I had money and a girlfriend that asked for something like that. There are lots of homeless people in San Diego. I would take out my girlfriend for dinner downtown and walk around the city before hand and give $20 bucks to 20 different homeless people. If that made my girlfriend upset that I gave that much money away instead of spending it on her blender, I would dump her.
If she comes from a family in which that type of spending is commonplace, and if she does not know the boyfriend's finances well enough to know that the request is a burden on him, then she's not wrong.

If he has good future remuneration prospects in his profession, then this is a temporary glitch, but if he is never going to be making the amount of money she seems to expect they probably should break up.

I'm a female. Frankly, my philosophy has always been if I cannot afford to buy it for myself, I did without. I never thought I should be a burden on others, especially a guy who I'm supposed to care about.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:18 PM

28 posts, read 42,622 times
I would never buy a $450 blender for myself, let alone for anyone else. The most I would spend on a gift for my boyfriend right now would be about $300, but normally for holidays and other occasions I only feel comfortable spending about $75.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,241,315 times
Amazon.com: Waring Commercial MX1000XTX Xtreme Hi-Power Blender with Raptor Copolyester Container, 64-Ounce: Kitchen & Dining

Buy a Waring blender, same horsepower, half the price. Vita Mix, you are buying name brand hype.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,451,815 times
Full disclosure - I bought one. Several years ago when money was not a problem with me. Now it looks at me and mocks me every morning!

Seriously though, it has been extremely useful. I like to make smoothies and we know it's great for that. Also, because I cooked for my elderly parents, I found it really handy for smoothing out soups very quickly. The other thing I used it for with them was making different concoctions of things like apple sauce with pears, peaches, etc. Of course you could probably do this with some other item in your kitchen - but I don't possess anything else with this power.

Basically, it has lasted a really nice long time with no operating problems and I've gotten a great deal of use out of it and learned to be creative with it (ladies, it's also handy for blending together quickly nice facial masks!). It has not made it onto my list of "What Was I THINKING?!?". It's proved its worth.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Buy a Waring blender, same horsepower, half the price.
Vita Mix, you are buying name brand hype.
The Waring is still $300.

The PBS cooks show LINK did a test recently and chose the Breville as the best of them.
But at $200... this too is still too much money for one off home use.

The Oster at $40 to $60? now we're talking. LINK

Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,004,263 times
Yes, if I want to...No, if I don't want to.

OP, how do you feel about the girl, and her request for a 450.00 blender. That's the issue.
Can you afford that? Is it something she needs, so that if it's a struggle for you to pay for it, it's still some thing you'd feel good about doing? Is she a diva and just wants a high end blender? Is this request giving you a hint about something in her character?

Personally, I spend on people want I want to spend on them. I don't let OTHERS make MY spending decisions. I've spent money (in the high hundreds) on friends because I wanted to. They didn't ask. They hadn't expected it. And they told me not to. But it's something I felt led to to.

YOU have to figure how your own thoughts on "The Case of the $450 Blender."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance