Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times

Advertisements

I changed my name when getting a citizenship, getting a common first name and making middle name as my previous rare (very unique, foreign) first name. If I still want to go by my previous first name (now my middle name), could I create a new bank account with my middle name and last name instead of my first name? I already have an account with this bank but want to create a new account.

My current account has my previous name so I think if I told them I want to get a new account without telling them my new name I might be able to have my name as before.

My current cdriver's license has my current full name on it (first name, middle name which is my previous first name, and last name)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
When I worked in banking, we had to use your legal name on all the bank official stuff. But you could get your checks printed up anyway you wanted.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankacc View Post
I changed my name when getting a citizenship, getting a common first name and making middle name as my previous rare (very unique, foreign) first name. If I still want to go by my previous first name (now my middle name), could I create a new bank account with my middle name and last name instead of my first name? I already have an account with this bank but want to create a new account.

My current account has my previous name so I think if I told them I want to get a new account without telling them my new name I might be able to have my name as before.

My current cdriver's license has my current full name on it (first name, middle name which is my previous first name, and last name)
If you just did a close and transfer from your current account to create a different account, the banker would probably not do their job properly and keep all the information from the previous account and just create the new one and close the old one.
If you were to walk in to a bank and open an account you would not be able to use middle name last name as the name on the account because that is not your legal firstname last name combo. But like the poster above said, if you want it for ease of use when writing checks, you can put your name has adsflksjdfldfsj owieuraodsf if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance