Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times

Advertisements

My rule of thumb is that a little bit of money always generates a little more money. Never spend everything you have...it is not about saving it is about being totally broke...which is very difficult to rescue yourself from...even a small reserve will save your sorry ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Your title and subsequent post are somewhat non sequitur......What does live your life have to do with buying an Audi?

To me there is nothing more pathetic than seeing someone live a very plain life/scrimping and saving for that "awesome retirement" that never comes (due to premature death or disability). I am thinking of two people (one is early 60's in a nursing home with Parkinson's so bad she is bedridden) and the other guy died of cancer in a very short time (age 52). His comment was, forget what is in your 401K, the equity in your house if you are never going to see your kids finish high school and be able to walk your daughter down the aisle.......Really what is the point if you are dying young? Enjoy the time you have now, the future is secondary.
I love how people cherry pick examples to support their point of view.

Non-savers will always make the lives of savers out to be miserable, as if all people who save will scrimp and save every last dime (almost never happens in as extreme way as they make it out to be). Then they always point out the people who die relatively young and completely ignore the fact that those who die relatively young are far outnumbered by those who make it to old age who live impoverished or semi-impoverished.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
I wonder how many people would want the fancy cars and other stuff if no one would ever know that they had those things.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I wonder how many people would want the fancy cars and other stuff if no one would ever know that they had those things.
I would, it is also about ride, safety and features. Most of the other stuff has a personal utility that makes it worthwhile.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM

374 posts, read 721,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
So you're tight with your finances, instead of loose?

I know, I can't make a decent argument so walla, instead I launch an ad homonym attack, making bad grammar the escape goat. I bet your not surprised to get attacked by a bonified grammar nazi. Their they're.

Don't correct someone on spelling then turn voila into "walla" in the next sentence.

Thanks.

Oh never mind you were trolling. For all intensive purposes, my mind was bottled.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Don't correct someone on spelling then turn voila into "walla" in the next sentence.

Thanks.

Oh never mind you were trolling. For all intensive purposes, my mind was bottled.
Lighten up, Francis.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times
I can see the appeal behind nice cars and splurging a bit. But, I can't justify expensive cars or toys in my mind. My truck is simply a utility vehicle to get me to recreation areas where I can enjoy myself. It's ten years old and I'm hoping I can pull another 8 - 10 years out of it.

The only thing I want to splurge on is a nice beach home. I'm willing to extend myself and take on a big mortgage when I'm there financially to live in a nice house in a beach town.

I'm planning to save enough that I won't have to touch my 401Ks and can live off of my pension. I'd rather be able to give a lot of money to my kids than drive a 50K truck.

I have family members that can't retire and are struggling now. Some had to move in with their children. I don't ever want to get to that point and I think it's scared me into saving.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Our most valuable commodity is not money nor material posessions. It's time. I often hear about business bigwigs who make 10, 20 times what I make and how they have big fancy houses and cars but who are also never home to spend time with their spouses and children. For me it's not worth it. Time spent with my family is infinitely more valuable than having a career that pays more but consumes much more of my time.

I'll point it out again because no one seems to have noticed but everyone discussing happiness on ths thread is linking it to material goods and spending money. How predictable. We're so conditioned to buying into the notion we have to spend money to be happy.
Time, not money, is life’s true currency

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Okay, I don't agree with the title but I figured I needed to make it interesting.

When people get a little bit on money, seems like one of the first items they spend money on is a expensive car. I'm talking people that make only $50K a year.

What's the appeal? I know people that drive nice Audi's, travel, go out every weekend and have ADMITTED they don't have anything in savings.
Whew. I cringed when I saw the title, LOL.

I know some people that live life by the seat of their pants, as if tomorrow is never going to get here. But, like Chris Rock said. "Life isn't short. Life is LONG. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." True, life has no guarantees, but that goes both ways. There's no guarantee that someone won't live decades past retirement age, either. I don't want to spend my golden years in squalor because I've squandered all of my resources before then.

The thrill of that expensive car will wear off. The $400 purse will be just another purse when it's been carried around for a month. I prefer to spend my money on experiences, and I don't gpo crazy with it. It's all about balance.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:

Dad, great point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance