Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times

Advertisements

Okay, I don't agree with the title but I figured I needed to make it interesting.

When people get a little bit on money, seems like one of the first items they spend money on is a expensive car. I'm talking people that make only $50K a year.

What's the appeal? I know people that drive nice Audi's, travel, go out every weekend and have ADMITTED they don't have anything in savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Okay, I don't agree with the title but I figured I needed to make it interesting.

When people get a little bit on money, seems like one of the first items they spend money on is a expensive car. I'm talking people that make only $50K a year.

What's the appeal? I know people that drive nice Audi's, travel, go out every weekend and have ADMITTED they don't have anything in savings.

Your title and subsequent post are somewhat non sequitur......What does live your life have to do with buying an Audi?

To me there is nothing more pathetic than seeing someone live a very plain life/scrimping and saving for that "awesome retirement" that never comes (due to premature death or disability). I am thinking of two people (one is early 60's in a nursing home with Parkinson's so bad she is bedridden) and the other guy died of cancer in a very short time (age 52). His comment was, forget what is in your 401K, the equity in your house if you are never going to see your kids finish high school and be able to walk your daughter down the aisle.......Really what is the point if you are dying young? Enjoy the time you have now, the future is secondary.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Your title and subsequent post are somewhat non sequitur......What does live your life have to do with buying an Audi?

To me there is nothing more pathetic than seeing someone live a very plain life/scrimping and saving for that "awesome retirement" that never comes (due to premature death or disability). I am thinking of two people (one is early 60's in a nursing home with Parkinson's so bad she is bedridden) and the other guy died of cancer in a very short time (age 52). His comment was, forget what is in your 401K, the equity in your house if you are never going to see your kids finish high school and be able to walk your daughter down the aisle.......Really what is the point if you are dying young? Enjoy the time you have now, the future is secondary.
Sorry, but I am 65 and my time is now and we are comfortably retired. I know others who adopted your thinking and could be retired and comfortable but aren't. So lurkers you decide.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sorry, but I am 65 and my time is now and we are comfortably retired. I know others who adopted your thinking and could be retired and comfortable but aren't. So lurkers you decide.

I was just relaying 2 experiences I had. They are powerful reminders of our existence but like you I want a comfortable retirement rather than "life experience living under a bridge!" But I am going to enjoy my life as it goes along too!

I have less than 4 yrs left on my mtg, 25+ years to retirement so I would hope I am on the right track!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,269 times
Quote:

So are you saying the present cannot be enjoyed unless you own an Audi or other expensive things?

Believe it or not the best things in life are actually free. I truly feel sorry for anyone that cannot understand this.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
So are you saying the present cannot be enjoyed unless you own an Audi or other expensive things?

Believe it or not the best things in life are actually free. I truly feel sorry for anyone that cannot understand this.
I get it, you are not a car guy. To me I would be absolutely miserable driving a Toyota Camry so for me, I would buy the Audi. I have had expensive things/hobbies that were enjoyable but simple things are fun also. I had more fun with a used 15 ft Boston Whaler than the 375K beach house it was stored at! The 2nd home was fun but not worth the costs/headache, the boat was always fun and it was 12 years old and cheap to buy/run.

I get that I could live in a trailer on an acre of land in the middle of no where and not have to work, live off the land/off the grid whatever but that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I would rather work harder and live a well rounded life and have the freedom of choices.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Quote:
I get it, you are not a car guy. To me I would be absolutely miserable driving a Toyota Camry so for me, I would buy the Audi. I have had expensive things/hobbies that were enjoyable but simple things are fun also. I had more fun with a used 15 ft Boston Whaler than the 375K beach house it was stored at! The 2nd home was fun but not worth the costs/headache, the boat was always fun and it was 12 years old and cheap to buy/run.

I get that I could live in a trailer on an acre of land in the middle of no where and not have to work, live off the land/off the grid whatever but that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I would rather work harder and live a well rounded life and have the freedom of choices.

Nice extreme. No one said live in a trailer.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:

Knowing as you pass into what is beoyond that you have saved to provide for your family.

and that's IF you loose.

OR: you can loose by eating alpo at the age of 60...

Personally I'll take the balance...

Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
All things in moderation. There's no need to go to extremes. Certainly save for your retirement, but not to the extent that you can't enjoy your life while you're living it.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Knowing as you pass into what is beoyond that you have saved to provide for your family.

and that's IF you loose.

OR: you can loose by eating alpo at the age of 60...

Personally I'll take the balance...
So you're tight with your finances, instead of loose?

I know, I can't make a decent argument so walla, instead I launch an ad homonym attack, making bad grammar the escape goat. I bet your not surprised to get attacked by a bonified grammar nazi. Their they're.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance