Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
That's my point. NOTHING is covered on this plan. It makes no financial sense I think. Even generic drugs aren't covered. Before deductible that is.
I agree. Supporters of the ACA like to point to medical bankruptcies as a reason for having it and yet, many would be forced into bankruptcy simply by having to pay the premiums and deductibles in a couple consecutive years. How does that help anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
I have attached a snip of the lowest cost bronze plan. Tell me where office visits are covered before deductible?
Well, the plan I saw was $164/month so you aren't looking at the same plan I am....I used your zip code and Humana...which is what you said you were looking into. That quote looks nothing like the page from the Humana website..

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I agree. Supporters of the ACA like to point to medical bankruptcies as a reason for having it and yet, many would be forced into bankruptcy simply by having to pay the premiums and deductibles in a couple consecutive years. How does that help anyone?
There are high deductible plans that are tax qualified and you pay everything out of pocket before a deductible. These plans have been around for over 15 years. They are not new. THe benefit of these plans is that you have a health savings account and contributions to that account up to the fed limit are deductible on your taxes. They are also good plans for those that want low premiums, are healthy and want to take the chance that nothing is going to happen to them. This is ONE type of plan...

Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are high deductible plans that are tax qualified and you pay everything out of pocket before a deductible. These plans have been around for over 15 years. They are not new. THe benefit of these plans is that you have a health savings account and contributions to that account up to the fed limit are deductible on your taxes. They are also good plans for those that want low premiums, are healthy and want to take the chance that nothing is going to happen to them. This is ONE type of plan...
The plan she posted was NOT an HSA, but an HMO.

I'm aware that HSAs have been around for years. They're nothing new and for some people (those with savings to pay the high deductibles or those who like to gamble) they are a valid choice. For the average person who has little financial wiggle room, they are not a good choice.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
Well, the plan I saw was $164/month so you aren't looking at the same plan I am....I used your zip code and Humana...which is what you said you were looking into. That quote looks nothing like the page from the Humana website..
I see what the problem is. The plan you are referring to is a catastrophic plan for those 30 and under. Since my GF and I are both 31, those don't apply. The catastrophic plan does cover 3 office visits, I see that. The cheapest premium plan that we would be eligible for is the one that I posted about and is $202 a month with NOTHING covered before deductible is paid.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I see what the problem is. The plan you are referring to is a catastrophic plan for those 30 and under. Since my GF and I are both 31, those don't apply. The catastrophic plan does cover 3 office visits, I see that. The cheapest premium plan that we would be eligible for is the one that I posted about and is $202 a month with NOTHING covered before deductible is paid.
No, it was a Humana Bronze plan

Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They're clearly not. You have to spend $ 8,725 (premiums and deductible) before this plan pays a penny. That's not even remotely affordable.
Or mouse over. Often times it's in the fine print that will pop out. All plans are required to have free preventative care which also isn't listed.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Free preventative care is all well and good for the long view but younger people are going to be more concerned with needing medical care for breaking an ankle or tendonitis, a sinus infection, a kidney/bladder infection, carpal tunnel, etc, etc, etc.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
There are high deductible plans that are tax qualified and you pay everything out of pocket before a deductible. These plans have been around for over 15 years. They are not new. THe benefit of these plans is that you have a health savings account and contributions to that account up to the fed limit are deductible on your taxes.
This benefit cannot be over-stated. My spouse's employer-sponsored health insurance has a similar option, which folks who don't understand the power of HSAs will probably also try to claim "make no financial sense" when in reality the ability to save money for retirement tax-deferred, which you'll be able to withdraw (i.e., use for health-related expenses that you'll surely need at that age) tax-free, makes lots of financial sense.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
I disagree. I need my car to get to work. My boss is not going to care if I don't have a ride or if my car breaks constantly and I'm late or calling out. A reliable car is a valid priority. Now, I don't need a Lexus to get to work, so I drive a cheap Korean car.

Misplaced priorities would be upgrading to the newest iphone every 5 minutes and then complaining that you don't have money for your insurance premium.

You can skip the iphone, but most of us can't skip the car.
This whole discussion may be helpful to people that really are going to be strapped by these high deductibles so is worthwhile to have on here.
But for some, like you and, I suspect ,many, many others, it is a matter of priorities.
Few people want to buy the important but boring basics.
Your mention of starting a family while complaining about a couple of hundred bucks for medical insurance caused me to wonder why you would take on the huge expense of bringing a child into the equation.
Since this is in the personal finance forum, where you posted your budget, please don't make excuses that buying health insurance or covering the deductible is outside your budget capabilities when it is more of a priority issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance