Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What's your point? It says there clear as day DO NOT INCLUDE your unmarried partner who DOES NOT need health insurance and is not your dependent. So, when she fills out the application, she doesn't include me because I DON'T NEED health insurance as I get it through my job and I'm not her dependent! Done. Give it up.

You've actually just proved that what we're doing is actually perfectly right.
she is YOUR dependent though...which IS the point.....your income should be factored into this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 AM

12 posts, read 18,927 times
Wow this is a woopy ding dang wazzle buzzler..tm.. (lawyer talk for its all in the fine print and conclusion of a matter) (A complete and utter crock of excrement.) This is not health insurance nor is it the comprehensive insurance as it only covers 60 percent and a 6000 doller deductible you do the math on say 100 grand and on top of all that at least 2000 in premium. And no they won't let u see the doc without the 6Gs beforehand this is no insurance and.when they finally admit its doa we will be utterly screwed.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 AM

NOBAMA care

Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 AM

The deductible is for each member so a family of 4 would have a 24 grand deductible I presume? Yes very affordable for who? Isn't obamas aunte a health care insurance administrator? This is nothing more than an insurance company bailout as it gives nothing to and takes a great deal away from health care institutions (health care providers).first the banks now the insurance companies just say no (with your dollers)

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
she is YOUR dependent though...which IS the point.....your income should be factored into this....
No, she is not her dependent.

Legally, they are nothing more than room mates who share expenses.

If she was legally her dependent, she could put her on her employee health insurance as a dependent.

The only way she could be considered a dependent is if they were legally married.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times
Quote:
The application is in her name not mine. I dont figure into this at all. I cannot claim her as a dependent on my taxes. She is not my dependent for IRS or ACA purposes. Again maybe you think my income SHOULD be factored into this but according to the way the laws are right now it doesnt have to be. Cant have it both ways. Why would we choose to pay 100 times more for something when we dont have to and its all legal? You never answered that.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
No, she's not. Repeating a lie over and over again won't make it true. If she were her dependent, her income would be factored in. She is not.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
You are correct, we can move, but at the moment due to some unrelated circumstances, we have decided to stay here. You don't have to move because your state doesn't accept your relationship, why do you feel justified in telling me that we should move. Moving costs money too. ACA is absolutely not at fault here, I never said it was, the tax system is and the state of Florida.

Yes having a child is a choice, but if you made the same choice, you wouldn't have to pay the lawyers to make sure you both had custody, we do, I was just illustrating a point.

I do keep our incomes and accounts separate, I do it for two reasons. One, I have more student loan debt that she has and I don't want her to be limited in what she wants to do because there are payments to be made. She keeps her own savings account so if she wants to go to NY to visit family or wants to buy new clothes, she can and doesn't have to go through me to see if we can afford it. Plus it gives her a sense of independence. The second reason, with her making less than me and now staying home with the baby, I want her to have her own retirement and savings accounts so that she feels she has something of her own. Let's face it, nothing is guaranteed 100% and I want to make sure that if something happens between us, she'll have something to fall back on.

And as to your last comment, it's not me that's not getting it, it's you. Yes the deduction for filing single and for filing married is the same (x2 for married), however, the tax brackets are different resulting in a lower overall tax liability if we filed together. Now if she made the same money as I do, it wouldn't matter. Run the numbers yourself, combined we would pay $2500 less in taxes on the same absolute income number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, she's not. Repeating a lie over and over again won't make it true. If she were her dependent, her income would be factored in. She is not.
really????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance