Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM

146 posts, read 323,702 times

Advertisements

Well, OP (I'm assuming he's a guy, BTW - no self-respecting woman would post this drivel here) is either a really good troll or the world's worst Ivy Leaguer. I know more Ivy League graduates than I can count. To a man, none would be happy working as a paralegal. Most would rather cut off their right nut than to accept the OP's position.

I can almost guarantee OP's a troll. No one graduates an Ivy League college with $150K + in debt. It just does not happen. With scholarships that grow on trees and need based aid coming out of the wazoo, this just Does. Not. Happen. What's more telling is that he claims it's all private loans. Hah!

So while I sympathize (empathize, now, I suppose, eh?) with my fellow CD responders, this man's taken y'all for a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
You think you are getting over on creditors, you are only selling yourself short. You're using things like a crap economy as an excuse to justify why you're in your 30's, with an Ivy League education, making as much as a Costco cashier.

In high school, I used to cheat like a motherfckr. Looking back, I spent so much more time, effort, and worry about cheating on exams than just studying and getting an equal mark.

If you are comfortable living the rest of your life in the way you describe, so be it. The lady you one day meet, she'll just love when you tell her she needs to put the cable bill in her name bc you cheated people out of money. I know I know, you are content being alone.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 PM

23,550 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Waste or not, it's done isn't it? So there's not much point in moralizing over it, or should I say, AGONIZING over it like you?
Trust me, I'm not agonizing over it.

I don't want my parents involved with my loans because that would give creditors more info about me. Nice try to trick me though.
LOL @ my trying to trick you. You ask for ideas on what to do - I give you one and you make that idiot "try to trick me" statement. Like others had already mentioned - you really don't want ideas, you just want to gloat about how you think that you're getting away with not paying hundreds of thousands of debt dollars.

1099c -- if that happens, which it won't matter since there is nothing they can take from me, I'll just move back to another country and under another citizenship the IRS can't do anything to me. That's what hundreds of students who have defaulted have done if they have more than one passport.
Hmm, okay - so your parents cut you out of the will (at least everything they have that is within the US) .. good for them!!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 AM

205 posts, read 284,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Well, OP (I'm assuming he's a guy, BTW - no self-respecting woman would post this drivel here) is either a really good troll or the world's worst Ivy Leaguer. I know more Ivy League graduates than I can count. To a man, none would be happy working as a paralegal. Most would rather cut off their right nut than to accept the OP's position.

I can almost guarantee OP's a troll. No one graduates an Ivy League college with $150K + in debt. It just does not happen. With scholarships that grow on trees and need based aid coming out of the wazoo, this just Does. Not. Happen. What's more telling is that he claims it's all private loans. Hah!

So while I sympathize (empathize, now, I suppose, eh?) with my fellow CD responders, this man's taken y'all for a ride.
I won't say whether I'm a guy or a gal, but your assumptions are sexist. What is a "self-respecting" woman?
Are there "specific roles" for men? There are quite a few Ivy League grads I know who work as paralegals. You're talking out of your rear and you are sexist, which is usually just a step away from a domestic abuser or some other kind of criminal. You creep me out.

And as to the "troll" thing, I will say what I've said before: if you think that makes you feel more clever, you are free to think I'm a "troll". Thankfully, I'm busy speaking with adults, not with people who see trolls everywhere just because I happen to have a different outlook on life.

Haha, "scholarships that grow on trees". You're a joke. Yes, MANY people graduate with over 100$ in debt from the Ivy League. Need based aid? Err, I didn't qualify for that due to my parent's income at the time.

I think you're just showing what a fool you are by making such ridiculous statements. But, after all, judging from the way you express yourself, you probably aren't very swift to begin with anyway. Enjoy Nascar, fool.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
You think you are getting over on creditors, you are only selling yourself short. You're using things like a crap economy as an excuse to justify why you're in your 30's, with an Ivy League education, making as much as a Costco cashier.

In high school, I used to cheat like a motherfckr. Looking back, I spent so much more time, effort, and worry about cheating on exams than just studying and getting an equal mark.

If you are comfortable living the rest of your life in the way you describe, so be it. The lady you one day meet, she'll just love when you tell her she needs to put the cable bill in her name bc you cheated people out of money. I know I know, you are content being alone.
I'm not interested in meeting any ladies, sorry. As to the "looking back" you mention, please, spare me the lesson. I've heard that crap before.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Most modern math degrees have quite a few CS classes in the curriculum so I would think software engineer would be the way to go. Programmers start off around $70k/year here in the San Diego area. If not that then i'd look at studying for the actuarial exams. Actuaries make big time coin.
No, a math degree does not qualify you to be a software engineer. Can you refer me to a BS in math program that contains "quite a few" Computer Science classes?! I've seen maybe 2 classes in those curriculums...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post

Exactly. I pointed that out earlier and he didn't even get what I was talking about.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Yes, I studied law and actually the law firm where I work now deals with cases like mine all the time. It does show up on my credit report but I don't have ANY credit cards since my credit is shot anyway and don't need it. It is true many employers unfortunately look at the credit report (which discourages people from working since it doesn't pay to work in so many places that will just say "no" if you happen to have bad credit). Europe doesn't do credit checks by the way, in general.

The credit rating only affects the lives of people who want to buy a house, a car or get credit cards. None of that interests me since I already have a house (under my parent's name) and no need for a car.

It will follow me in the US but since I have another passport, there is no such record of this in my other "identity"/nationality.

Lol-Whut:

Ha! Of course I've heard of a "skip trace" and they tried it on me but it didn't work and they've never tried it again since they have no link to me. In order to successfully skip trace, you need public records that can lead to me. I don't have ANY public documents under my name in the US: no water bills, no electrical bills, no phone bills, no mortgage, no car payments, my neighbors don't know me and none of my employers in the US know of my whereabouts in other places.

And, I'm well aware that once I buy something or get anything like a home in my name, BINGO, you got me. The good thing is that I would never make that kind of mistake to make it easy for you.
They use your credit rating in junction with rates for auto insurance too. I can't imagine it won't touch every facet of your life. Do you have a social security number? It sounds like you are proud of your situation, avoiding your debt, you can't expect a warm welcome here or anywhere when they find this out since the rest of us bare the burden of deadbeats by working at jobs that pay less. It also sounds like your quality of life really sucks being on the run from this debt. Is this an experiment on evading one's obligations so you can write a book or something? I'm not impressed that you can avoid your obligations and the tap on the shoulder "We got you." will come your way.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Exactly. I pointed that out earlier and he didn't even get what I was talking about.
At this point it's very difficult to "Get" what you say considering the numerous errors you make in your weird interpretation of the situation.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
They use your credit rating in junction with rates for auto insurance too. I can't imagine it won't touch every facet of your life. Do you have a social security number? It sounds like you are proud of your situation, avoiding your debt, you can't expect a warm welcome here or anywhere when they find this out since the rest of us bare the burden of deadbeats by working at jobs that pay less. It also sounds like your quality of life really sucks being on the run from this debt. Is this an experiment on evading one's obligations so you can write a book or something? I'm not impressed that you can avoid your obligations and the tap on the shoulder "We got you." will come your way.
I don't drive, so it doesn't affect me in that sense either.

I do have a SSN. No, I'm not "proud" of anything but pleased that they haven't been able to get their way with me. And the real reason why you are working jobs that pay less, we all are, is not because of some random debtor who made a bad decision at 18 years of age. The reason we are all getting crap pay and will continue to do so is because the entire system has failed and we are in the waning days of the US. Get used to slave wages and an ever increasing unaffordable lifestyle unless something happens, a revolution of some kind but that's neither here nor there. Stop blaming random "deadbeats" for your low salary and look at your employer who cheats you everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance