Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
yeah she approved the Ferrari guy...I thought he was younger but that's a minor point.

She DENIED the Louis Vuitton bag for a 25/27 year old. That she could have approved, but hey, it's Suze. (was that a flashback or new?)

I also would have approved some other guy who called about something...he wanted to do something for his wife's birthday or something like that.

My pet peeve has always been that she faults people for not having more saved at 48...but doesn't concede or recognize that -- even though they don't have as much time as a 35 year old...they DO STILL have about 20 years of working ahead. I want to ask her -- you don't think that's enough time to recoup a lousy 5K I spend on a trip today? Give me a break.

Just like she talks about saving for retirement...well what if I don't make until then.... can't I enjoy myself on a trip today?
IF I do make it by then surely I'll have saved more in 20 years....and if I don't I'll have had the joy of the trip I wanted.
It's more than enough time, but for a 48 year old that doesn't have much saved after 25-30 years of working it is likely not the first or last time they will decide to spend 5k on a trip instead of saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
^^ Given that the 25 year old had what others judge to be not much, means she did have SOME savings. So she was indeed saving and spending.

I heard a couple on the Dave Ramsey show all excited about how they paid off thousands of dollars of debt in 18.months. And they'd paid off debt at a rate of like 2K month. They said they'd NOT gone on a cruise they'd been invited on to celebrate a birthday with family members. But now they'll go an pay cash......we'll if they'd gone on the cruise what would that have set them back? two months in paying off the debt? too me that's no big deal. Hubby could drop dead of a heart attack next week, and so they'd never have the chance to have that vacation enjoyment together. Memories that wife will never have.

People act like ANY debt is bad, or that you can't do anything that adds to your debt while you're trying to pay it off. If you're paying off debt at 2K a clip, is adding 4K to it really an issue.

You CAN live for today AND save for tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance