Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,735 times

Advertisements

Dont forget the fact that she's a lesbian...I like her just for that fact!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have $20,000 in a Roth IRA which can be withdrawn at anytime, free of taxes and penalties.
The post above mine notes this, but where do people get the idea that ALL money in a Roth IRA can be withdrawn "at any time, free of taxes and penalties"? Because it's NOT TRUE!

You can withdraw an amount UP TO YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS free of taxes and penalties (assuming the Roth has been in extistence for over 5 years), but a withdrawal of amounts above that (prior to age 59 and a half) is taxable as income AND subject to the 10% "excise tax" penalty, save in certain limited circumstances.

Main point is that all dollars in a Roth IRA can not just be yanked out at any time with no tax consequences.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
I don't mind Suze Orman, but I hate that segment "Can I afford it?"

I mean I saw one about an 8 year old girl who wanted an American Girl doll and had maybe $350 saved from birthday/christmas monies and Suze told her no because they have no re-sale value. I have no idea why an 8 year old girl would ask her parents to ask Suze Orman... but it happened. You also see people on there asking if they can take vacations that they could afford (one in particular was to a brother's destination wedding or something) and she will say no because they need more of an emergency fund. I get it - they're important.... but so is enjoying yourself and making memories.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You are doing EXACTLY what you claim to hate about Suze's advice... insisting that one scenario is for all.

Given your circumstances... do what you are comfortable with. We all don't have millionaire parents who will bail us out.... your plan relies on them and on CC debt.

Three months is NOT sufficient for me. I do not want to sell stocks, nor will I rely on others or want to rack up CC debt.

(As I stated earlier, we have 12 months and are very happy with our choice.)
Um, no I'm not. Suze is the one who applies one size fits all. I, on the other hand am analyzing individual circumstances and tailoring a unique plan. For me, an 8-month emergency fund is far too excessive, especially as a single person who doesn't plan on having children, ever, and receives unemployment insurance in the event of job loss, and has plenty of investments for backup, and millionaire parents who will bail me out.

Maybe for YOU, a year's worth emergency fund works fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 AM

746 posts, read 838,184 times
In my early twenties I read a couple of her books and she did have some impact on the way I save and invest, in addition to Dave Ramsey. I am now 30 and have 8 - 10 months of expenses stashed, and try to save 15 - 20% of my gross income.

On the other hand, I drive a 97 Subaru, cut coupons, buy my clothes on the 75% off rack, don't have cable, and live within my means.

Where I totally lost respect and credibility for her was when she said she supports being able to dispose of your student loans through bankruptcy.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:

Maybe for YOU, a year's worth emergency fund works fine.
Maybe?
I have stated twice that it definitely is.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
No one in this thread addressed the ridiculous idea that Suze said that everyone needs a revocable trust. Because it's ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
No one in this thread addressed the ridiculous idea that Suze said that everyone needs a revocable trust. Because it's ridiculous.

Well, I addressed that (and more) on another thread--if I could find it, I'd post it here.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Found what I'd posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979
Can you provide a citation for Suze Orman's net worth? The highest figure I can find is $35 million.

Again, their target audiences are not necessarily the same. People who are floundering and can't seem to get a foothold need Ramsey, those who are getting by but want to get further ahead in their investing are probably best served by Orman. Those of us in between can learn something from each.

I hardly think one having a greater net worth means s/he's "it," anyway. You're right, too, that each can offer some nuggets of wisdom.

As I've mentioned here and elsewhere, though, Suze Orman's advice is often inconsistent. When she first came on the scene, she said that kids just getting out of college and starting their careers (obviously, that was a while ago) were the only ones who should be assuming debt so that they might "get on track." I thought then that she must be kidding because those early habits die hard. Also, she can be downright snobby despite her on-air endorsement of the frugal lifestyle. I detailed on different thread how she investigated another advisor who didn't agree with her advice and had some pretty nasty comments about his frugal lifestyle. Early on in her career, she also failed to disclose her financial relationship with Fair Isaacs, which led many to question her real reason for turning everyone into a nation of Fico Fanatics. She does tend to offer one-size-fits-all advice. For example, trusts are not for everyone in every situation.

I like these business/personal finance-themed shows , columns, and magazines, so I'm essentially a fan. Clearly, though, we need to ferret out the advice that applies to our own situation. One advisor I like is Michelle Singletary. She often repeats her grandma's ("Big Mama") advice that, IMO, is a real gem: "If it's on your ass, it's not an asset." Some things really are that simple.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Agree that she tends to give "one-size-fits-all" advice but her clientele seems to be "everyman" i.e. the average American indebted worker. I actually agree with her advice #7 - protecting your future assets through trusts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance