Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times

Advertisements

So I've had a upromise account for years, and I don't know why, but I never seem to accumulate much. Does anyone else use upromise, and if so, what are the tricks to maximizing your earnings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
The stores in my area stopped their affiliation with them.

I stopped using them when the amount in my account dipped very low. When contacted they said that I made a withdrawal, but I did not.
I asked for a copy of the canceled check; they said they are not set up to do that.
I asked for the address the check was sent to; they said they could not release that information due to privacy laws.
Rip-off artists in my book....

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
We used the credit card for years and that's how it added up for us. We didn't do anything else special. The amount automatically swept into our son's 529 every quarter.

He is now in school and that card just sits in a drawer as we use another card now to rack up United miles. The card kept getting moved around from bank to bank and is now with Barclay which I had never heard of. I think when it was with BofA I called and asked if we could change it from a Upromise card to something else that earns rewards as we didn't really need the college money. They said they couldn't do that. We haven't closed it because it is one of the oldest cards we have.

So that's the down side to using the credit card.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The stores in my area stopped their affiliation with them.

I stopped using them when the amount in my account dipped very low. When contacted they said that I made a withdrawal, but I did not.
I asked for a copy of the canceled check; they said they are not set up to do that.
I asked for the address the check was sent to; they said they could not release that information due to privacy laws.
Rip-off artists in my book....
i've earned money and it's been credited to my Sallie Mae loans. I believe Sallie Mae owns them now. It must just be that all the products that qualify at the store are stuff I wouldn't buy so I never see anything accumulate. we have local grocery stores that participate, and a few restaurants but i've never figured out how to earn at a restaurant.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM

406 posts, read 619,450 times
We use it but the amount we accumulate is pretty small. You can just get a check sent to you vs. depositing into a 529.

The rebates on online shopping are probably the best bet (aside from the credit card I guess)...often is about 5% back and could add up if you get a few friends and family to use your link.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,985 times
We have linked our credit card and my parents have also linked their card. I don't think it really accumulates very much unless you have the actual Upromise credit card. I just figured it doesn't cost anything to link the cards so we might as well give it a try. Not counting on it to amount to anything substantial.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
We have linked our credit card and my parents have also linked their card. I don't think it really accumulates very much unless you have the actual Upromise credit card. I just figured it doesn't cost anything to link the cards so we might as well give it a try. Not counting on it to amount to anything substantial.
yeah, with various grocery cards and credit cards linked, i've accumulated $0 in the past year. so i dunno what i'm doing wrong. lol

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM

592 posts, read 802,463 times
Over the course of 12 months, we managed to stack up $18. It accumulates very slowly because I didn't want the credit card that they offer. We were able to somewhat rack up because we always bought our gas through Mobil, which was one of the sponsors.. If you drive a lot, this can be helpful, it's free money that you would have to spend anyway.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I have used Upromise and also the amount in the account is very small. Recently I got $50 added from an e-rewards survey account after doing several surveys and have enough dollar points there to transfer the amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance