Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times

Advertisements

Im asking out of curiosity. In the last year we have accumulated some medical bills. Nothing extreme ,but enough to not be able to pay it all off at once. I am paying monthly on these bills and I have never let them become delinquent. In the past,I have been reading about people who file for bk and many people do it due to high medical bills. Is medical bills a lower priority to pay than other debt? I have always looked at my bills as equally important but if I was ever put in a situation where I would not have enough money to pay all my bills I would probably pay the doctors bill last, while rent and electric bill would be first priority. Also, I have heard people say that they have had the same medical bills for years, and they only pay a little here and there, or whenever they have the money to pay them.
Is this fairly common you think?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-05-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Most people I know do not let ANY bills linger for numerous years. They are anxious to get them paid off...

I would agree that your rent and electric bill have a higher priority.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
In the last year we have accumulated some medical bills.
Nothing extreme, but enough to not be able to pay it all off at once.

Is this fairly common you think?
Extremely common.

It also examples the limit of what most people need regarding health insurance.
With something very similar to an auto or home policy, with a low annual cost that can be relied
upon to deal with an occasional surprise and most real world need is covered.

The really serious bills, the bankruptingly expensive catastrophic and traumatic illness and injuries,
are just about impossible to insure against on an individual basis and not even by means of policies
with private health insurance companies. These require a 100% participation actuarial pool.

The chronic conditions in between are tougher.
But since most of that treatment cost is known in advance... insurance doesn't really apply anyway.
Budget your pharmaceuticals and diagnostic work and then pay as you go.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Medical bills are less important to a landlord if you have to move and rent a house/apartment. If I were in this situation where I had no money available and all my credit cards were maxed out, and I had no other option, I would pay rent and utilities over medical bills, any day.

Remember, student loans can usually be put into deferment in case of hardship, so if you have any of those, you could lower your monthly obligation by that amount with a couple of phone calls.

Also, medical collectors are usually willing to negotiate, as long as they are consistently receiving SOMETHING. So if you can't pay your bills, call them up and negotiate a lower monthly payment.

Being proactive is always the key. Don't wait for the collectors to come looking for you. Do your negotiating up front. Most people will work with you if you are honest and up front. Even some utility companies will negotiate a payment plan.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Medical bills are less important to a landlord if you have to move and rent a house/apartment. If I were in this situation where I had no money available and all my credit cards were maxed out, and I had no other option, I would pay rent and utilities over medical bills, any day.

Remember, student loans can usually be put into deferment in case of hardship, so if you have any of those, you could lower your monthly obligation by that amount with a couple of phone calls.

Also, medical collectors are usually willing to negotiate, as long as they are consistently receiving SOMETHING. So if you can't pay your bills, call them up and negotiate a lower monthly payment.

Being proactive is always the key. Don't wait for the collectors to come looking for you. Do your negotiating up front. Most people will work with you if you are honest and up front. Even some utility companies will negotiate a payment plan.
You are right. Calling the company you have a hard time paying helps and most of them will work with you. I think if you just ignore your bills, that's when you for sure are sent to collections.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,029 times
Medical bills are my last priority. The reason is that if you send them something every now and then, they are happy and there is no interest. I have a $600 bill that I've been paying for the last few months, I send whatever I have left over in my budget at the end of the month whether it's $40 or $100. They don't complain and again there is no interest or fees. I think if the doctor's started to charge interest and fees like the utility/cable company does, things would be different. I wonder if there is something preventing them from doing that.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Medical bills are my last priority. The reason is that if you send them something every now and then, they are happy and there is no interest. I have a $600 bill that I've been paying for the last few months, I send whatever I have left over in my budget at the end of the month whether it's $40 or $100. They don't complain and again there is no interest or fees. I think if the doctor's started to charge interest and fees like the utility/cable company does, things would be different. I wonder if there is something preventing them from doing that.
That's very much a YMMV kind of thing. I have a pending hospital bill that is collected at 12% APR.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
That's very much a YMMV kind of thing. I have a pending hospital bill that is collected at 12% APR.
Really, wow? Never had that happen, yet! In that case I would work on paying that first.

The other thing I believe too is that they don't often or don't always report to collection agencies. I'm not sure, but I had one bill that ended up going to collections because I moved. It was a while before I set up a payment plan with the collections agency and it never showed up on my credit report.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Medical bills are my last priority.
They can't repossess your health.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
The ones that have no late fee, interest, or carrying charge and can't interrupt service and do not use Rocky and Angelo's collection service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance