Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Have you ever been? why no, I have not.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I can't see how the IRS finds and hires the sharpest minds. I'm thinking people right out of high school might pursue a career as such if there's nothing else for a job.
You're thinking H&R Block, not the IRS. The former needs trainable monkeys for a few months out of the year. The latter needs careerists who are actually good at this stuff.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I used a real tax accountant before. Cost me around 150

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I used a real tax accountant before. Cost me around 150

Me too. So easy to do your own now w/taxact.com and others, even the IRS helps people now.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
You're thinking H&R Block, not the IRS. The former needs trainable monkeys for a few months out of the year. The latter needs careerists who are actually good at this stuff.
There's a Jackson Hewitt stand-thingy set up at a Wal-Mart near my office. The person there sometimes asks passers-by if they need help with their taxes. I've been tempted to say "why yes!", sit down, and start spinning the most complex tax situation possible.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
You should and report back. That would be fun.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You should and report back. That would be fun.

You'll just be advised to see an agent experienced in more complicated returns.
I think we've been through every kind of audit the government has.
For the IRS one, I didn't bother to have the CPA accompany us since I knew everything was in order.

Every thing he questioned, I was able to whip out the documentation and prove.
He did get to one item where he questioned the method used and at that point I told him we'd reschedule so that the CPA could explain it.
He then suggested we 'go down the hall and have a coffee" while he refigured some things.
I didn't and also read just as well upside down as right side up so could see that he was scribbling nonsense figures down .
A few minutes later he declared .."Ah, yes, I can see how he arrived at that if you do it this way" and we were done.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. And I don't get the urban myth of "a big box of receipts" either. What receipts? Unless you run a business your average citizen isn't going to have to have receipts for much. High medical bill maybe. And today everything is automated so banks, institutions, etc. have it all on file anyway. I've only filed personal taxes, pretty straight forward although I do itemize. I can't even image what "receipts" I would need or any info I couldn't put my finger on with a few clicks of my mouse.

I may be audited at some point. With a divorce looming and finances about to change it could red flag me or my soon-to-be-ex. I wouldn't sweat it, Turbo Tax has everything they would need to see. If anything I might get a few $ back since I've skipped my auto reg. deduction a couple times over the years bc it wasn't worth getting up to get it out of my car .

I'd definitely use an pro if I had a business.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No. And I don't get the urban myth of "a big box of receipts" either. What receipts? Unless you run a business your average citizen isn't going to have to have receipts for much. High medical bill maybe. And today everything is automated so banks, institutions, etc. have it all on file anyway. I've only filed personal taxes, pretty straight forward although I do itemize. I can't even image what "receipts" I would need or any info I couldn't put my finger on with a few clicks of my mouse.

I may be audited at some point. With a divorce looming and finances about to change it could red flag me or my soon-to-be-ex. I wouldn't sweat it, Turbo Tax has everything they would need to see. If anything I might get a few $ back since I've skipped my auto reg. deduction a couple times over the years bc it wasn't worth getting up to get it out of my car .

I'd definitely use an pro if I had a business.
A lot of people purchase items online from retailers that don't collect tax. You should keep your receipts for your state filing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance