Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times

Advertisements

We are currently living on one income now and don't have the room for much savings. Currently are contributing to two mandatory programs, one 5% and another 3%. Is this a decent start until we are in a better situation? Both 24.

Edit: Nevermind, its a defined plan that will pay out a pension. But what other steps should we take now or in the future?

Last edited by Grsz11; 11-14-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
We are currently living on one income... Both 24. ...
contributing to two mandatory programs, one 5% and another 3%.
Does this mean that 8% of your gross income is going into work based retirement plans?
If so, and the companies match your contribution... up the amounts to the max.

Quote:
Is this a decent start until we are in a better situation?
Yes.

Quote:
But what other steps should we take now or in the future?
Let's explore that "living on one income" thing.
If only 5% or 8% of that 2nd salary is going into the "mandatory program"...
where is the other 92-95% of that income going?

(The answer is supposed to be savings of various types for various purposes
like buying a house, future kids, continuing education, emergency fund, etc.)

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
It's a start, and any start is better than a lot of people have.

The best start is detailed here, and be to be quite honest I didn't start out this way either.

13 Steps to Investing Foolishly

It's a great basic guide.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Does this mean that 8% of your gross income is going into work based retirement plans?
If so, and the companies match your contribution... up the amounts to the max.

Yes.

Let's explore that "living on one income" thing.
If only 5% or 8% of that 2nd salary is going into the "mandatory program"...
where is the other 92-95% of that income going?

(The answer is supposed to be savings of various types for various purposes
like buying a house, future kids, continuing education, emergency fund, etc.)
One income as in only one of us is working at the moment. I figured out its a pension plan after first posting, so the percent contribution is really irrelevant, just what the state mandates for their pension program. Pays out as the average annual pay for the five highest years times 1.65% times number of service years. Other additional options are a 403 and 457 but like I said, we cant afford it at the moment. In theory, is the pension designed to be sufficient?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
Quote:
One income as in only one of us is working at the moment. I figured out its a pension plan after first posting, so the percent contribution is really irrelevant, just what the state mandates for their pension program. Pays out as the average annual pay for the five highest years times 1.65% times number of service years. Other additional options are a 403 and 457 but like I said, we cant afford it at the moment. In theory, is the pension designed to be sufficient?
no....most only cover a % of your income based on the amount of pay and time with company and there are caps on covered compensation. I would highly recommend to invest into an IRA as well...and do it as if there was no pension. 15% of your gross pay is the typical allocation for the IRA (there are caps to this as well...I think $17,500 is the max with catch up contributions of $5,500 if you are above a certain age).

Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
One income as in only one of us is working at the moment.
That's a bit different than what "living on one income" usually implies:
that both are working and one salary is being saved.

At 24 and before kids come... that would be ideal.
The more you save when young the better off you'll be.

Quote:
In theory, is the pension designed to be sufficient?
Every deal is different. Every couples needs are different.
You have twenty years of "other stuff" to get through before
looking beyond the big picture of just saving every penny that you can.

At this stage in your life you have a LOT of physical assets to accumulate
in addition to savings/investments and/or retirement funds.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Do you plan on working for 60 years? It's sufficient. If you don't plan on working for 60 years, then you need to look at ways of reducing your expenses in retirement. That or figure out how to earn more money such that you can survive on less than all your earnings.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:

Is there a match for the 403b or the 457? If so, you should be contributing up the match at a very minimum.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Is there a match for the 403b or the 457? If so, you should be contributing up the match at a very minimum.
No match. One pension will replace about half of the income, with the other about another quarter.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
1.65% X 30 years of service would be 49.5% of your last year's salary, so I would say no. Plus, you don't even know if you will work for the same employer for 30 years.

Generally speaking, you'll need to save 15% of your salary throughout your working life to have a decent retirement. If you have a pension, you may not need to save that much, but I would aim to save at least 15% anyway, 'cause stuff happens and very few people have too much money put away compared to the number of folks who haven't put away enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance