Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I buy lotto tickets occasionally and use the quick-pick numbers. Some years ago I matched 5 of the 6 numbers, missing the powerball number by one digit, and won $2,500. The worst part was having to take a day's vacation to drive 200 miles to claim the money.
Being one off on the powerball or any other number is no different than being off by 50 fwiw

I used to work with a group in the wealth management business who worked almost exclusively with lottery winners and typically the money lasted 3-5 years max regardless of the amount of winnings.

Interestingly the same timeframe pretty much applies to people who inherit money as well. I read a study years ago that talked about a subconscious desire to dispose of money you received but didn't earn. Those who come into a windfall of money, that didn't already have money prior to that usually blow it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Being one off on the powerball or any other number is no different than being off by 50 fwiw...

What you and one other poster dont understand is that it's the excitement of coming so close to winning the grand jackpot that counts. I guess some people would be depressed or upset about missing it by one digit but I was thrilled. I was so excited -- even today, years later, I get chills when I think about it.

And I'm thrilled when I win $3 or $5, even though, in some eyes, I've lost money. But there are those of you who feel one way and there are those of us who feel another.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
What you and one other poster dont understand is that it's the excitement of coming so close to winning the grand jackpot that counts. I guess some people would be depressed or upset about missing it by one digit but I was thrilled. I was so excited -- even today, years later, I get chills when I think about it.

And I'm thrilled when I win $3 or $5, even though, in some eyes, I've lost money. But there are those of you who feel one way and there are those of us who feel another.

No I understand the idea of getting so close but you were no closer than any other 5 out of 6 combination that in an of itself is fun but you only being one digit off of the powerball isn't closer to winning

Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
No I understand the idea of getting so close but you were no closer than any other 5 out of 6 combination that in an of itself is fun but you only being one digit off of the powerball isn't closer to winning

It seems to bother you that I was so excited about being one digit away from winning. Too bad.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
It seems to bother you that I was so excited about being one digit away from winning. Too bad.
I'm not bothered but you were not one digit away. The math behind the probability and odds is what you are lacking. The lottery and all forms of gambling count on this

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 05-14-2015 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
The math behind the probability and odds is what you are lacking. The lottery and all forms of gambling count on this
The odds of any individual winning the lottery are very low. The odds of SOMEONE eventually winning the lottery are 100%. Since the numbers are random, you have the same chance (per set of numbers) as anyone else. To me, that is the entertainment in playing.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:15 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
I buy lotto tickets occasionally and use the quick-pick numbers. Some years ago I matched 5 of the 6 numbers, missing the powerball number by one digit, and won $2,500. The worst part was having to take a day's vacation to drive 200 miles to claim the money.

Something is wrong with this story.......Powerball pays 1,000,000 for 5 of 6, missing just the powerball in the current format. In the prior format I believe it paid 250,000.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
That's the way I feel about it too and others have told me they feel that way, as well. It's purely entertainment -- everyone can dream of winning and it's cheaper than other forms of entertainment. And I dont care who doesnt believe that.

Good point!

It is kind of like when I go to a strip club, I consider my cash contributions to Candi, Summer, Bubbles or whatever their name of the week is as a contribution to their college fund, like a "stripper scholarship!" Since they always tell me they are working their way through college, I just think of all the books, tuition, backpacks, computers, pro-tractors, microscopes, stethoscopes that I am really buying for this hardworking student! Some girls even have college uniforms, some are dressed like cheerleaders while others go with a plaid skirt and white shirt. Oddly enough these girls must still be growing because the skirts are short and the buttons must be missing because they are always short a few buttons on the shirts at the top! One girl is probably going to be a nurse because she comes to work in a nurses uniform.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM

276 posts, read 338,154 times
My experience is that someone else always wins the lottery.

I buy a ticket once in a while, Since I have no savings and late in life it's my retirement plan.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The odds of any individual winning the lottery are very low. The odds of SOMEONE eventually winning the lottery are 100%. Since the numbers are random, you have the same chance (per set of numbers) as anyone else. To me, that is the entertainment in playing.
You missing the point I was making. If your powerball number was 20 and the actual one drawn was 19 you were no closer to winning that someone who had a powerball of 1, 30 or 50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance