Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM

147 posts, read 306,898 times

Advertisements

I did have a separate checking account used to just pay bills, and most were typically auto drafted from the account. All my discretionary spending was put on a credit card for the past year, but I recently stopped that because I didn't like using the credit card. Now I have recently combined my bill paying and discretionary spending to one location, my online checking account. The goal is for me to make it easier for zero based budgeting. For fluctuating costs, I estimate based off of my past figures, and then log the actuals to compare. This is new for me in my attempt to actively budget. I have tracked every dollar spent for over a year now, but hadn't done much with it. We'll see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I use auto bill pay that way I don't forget and know they are paid. I haven't written a check in years.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 AM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
My only bills are utilities mostly and those are all set on auto-pay. I pay my two credit card bill(s) twice a month when I get paid so they are at 0 twice a month. Rent and child care are just due the first day of the month so we write a check. Other misc. medical bills come in randomly, so those are just pay as we go.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i pay all my bills out of my fidelity account. i do everything online.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
One CC for all bills that can be paid via CC without fees using auto pay. Pay this card using online transfer from checking.
One CC for online purchases. Pay card using online transfer from checking
One CC for everyday purchases. Pay card using online transfer from checking

My primary banking is WF. Do everything online so there is little need to do anything via paper. Even my rent checks are deposited via mobile app or ATM. Write no more than 30 checks a year. Never send any payment via check and snail mail.

I have close to 20 online accounts with different bank/credit institutions. Everything done online. I have getting paper statement and then having to shred

Old 02-07-2014, 11:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
As Bills come in I add/Update them to my EBill Pay to be paid day before due date.

I have AutoPay set up for things like my mortgage, other regular item that don't change amounts.

I have a "default" entry in for monthly thing that i go in and update when I get the bill, But if i miss the update, The Default amount will be sent to them on the due date.

ie: My Master Card is almost always around $266 / Month, I schedule a payment of $275/month on the due date. If i forget to update it to the correct amount, It does not go late and i get hit with late fees etc.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
It depends who it's to.

I have low-balance credit accounts with Amazon, Newegg, etc. I set up payment of these at the middle of each month, along with my credit card. The amounts vary based on the "free months of interest" and the like. For example, I purchased a laptop from Newegg that was about $1,400. I have twelve months interest-free. Because I do not want to be charged 12 months of interest, I always make sure to pay those first. If necessary, I make the minimum payments on my other cards. I also prioritize my credit card, which has a balance of about $450 (at least it will on the 10th or so), because I used it for gas and the like which I would have been better off debiting from my checking account.

All my other bills...phone, internet, car insurance, Adobe CC subscription, etc. are on auto-pay. I learned my lessons in the past on forgetting to pay bills.

With bills and gas, etc. I don't really have any "discretionary" income right now, though when I did, I often would charge whatever I purchased to my checking or credit card, and paid the entire balance every month on the latter. I went from 80% cash in early 2012 to nearly 90-95% card/electronic transfer in early 2013.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
Painfully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance