Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Especially true for restaurants.

4 places to never use a debit card | www.clarkhoward.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM

455 posts, read 898,368 times
Since getting my credit card limit raised substantially, I've been doing all my transactions and bills with it, then paying off the card with a transfer a day before the due date. (Bank account and credit card is through the same bank)
I've found this to be a more manageable and less riskier way to go about things. It also helps me get an easier look at how much I'm spending each month, as I don't budget for incidentals.

I've never been the victim of fraud, but I like the idea of putting that risk onto a lender versus my own funds.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
With a debit card from a good bank, you funds are not at risk. Use a fly by night debit card and well, not too smart.

If your bank doesn't cover your debit card against fraud, then you aren't paying attention. Shopping for a debit card or credit card is as important as using it.

If you need to limit where you use your debit card, that says more about your choice of debit card than the places you use them.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
There is absolutely no point in using a debit card where a credit card would suffice.
Drawing money out of your account instead of taking a 30 day free loan.
Risking your own money vs using someone else's.

Even months after I paid for something, when the time came, my credit card refunded the money (thousands) when the company fell through and didn't send me the furniture I'd bought. If I had used my debit card, I would be out all that money and fighting with all the other creditors to try and get it back. Versus a 2 minute phone call to Discover.

I don't see the point of debit cards whatsoever, and mine's not even activated. It's somewhere around here...

Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is absolutely no point in using a debit card where a credit card would suffice.
Drawing money out of your account instead of taking a 30 day free loan.

I don't see the point of debit cards whatsoever, and mine's not even activated. It's somewhere around here...
The husband and I feel the same way!
NEVER even activated a debit card... absolutely no need to.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
I use my debit card for everything.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The husband and I feel the same way!
NEVER even activated a debit card... absolutely no need to.
Yep. Our debit cards stay at home. Only used if we need to get cash out before a trip or something.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
We carry a debit card only because if funny charges start showing up, both our credit cards may be locked up pending investigation, while the debit card will still work. That preserves your quick access to cash if you are picking up a rent-a-car or paying for dinner or for a taxi to the airport. Otherwise, I don't know of a reason to have or use a debit card.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
With a debit card from a good bank, you funds are not at risk. Use a fly by night debit card and well, not too smart.

If your bank doesn't cover your debit card against fraud, then you aren't paying attention. Shopping for a debit card or credit card is as important as using it.

If you need to limit where you use your debit card, that says more about your choice of debit card than the places you use them.
When you use the debit card as a credit card (signature rather than PIN entry), it carries the same MC/Visa fraud protection as a credit cart. The difference is that in most cases with a debit card your bank account is restricted by the amount of the charge while the dispute is being resolved (I say "most cases" because if you have a good relationship with an independent bank or credit union they may reverse the charges pending the outcome) whereas with a credit card you have the option of not paying for the charge pending resolution, leaving you with unencumbered access to your cash.

Most "legitimate" banks do offer fraud protection when using the debit function, but when someone tries to charge something fraudulently against your account the card is immediately deactivated and it generally takes a few days to get a new one (BTDT). So while most bank debit cards are covered, it can still be a huge PITA so the advice to watch where you use it is still good to follow.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
When you use the debit card as a credit card (signature rather than PIN entry), it carries the same MC/Visa fraud protection as a credit cart. The difference is that in most cases with a debit card your bank account is restricted by the amount of the charge while the dispute is being resolved (I say "most cases" because if you have a good relationship with an independent bank or credit union they may reverse the charges pending the outcome) whereas with a credit card you have the option of not paying for the charge pending resolution, leaving you with unencumbered access to your cash.

Most "legitimate" banks do offer fraud protection when using the debit function, but when someone tries to charge something fraudulently against your account the card is immediately deactivated and it generally takes a few days to get a new one (BTDT). So while most bank debit cards are covered, it can still be a huge PITA so the advice to watch where you use it is still good to follow.
you info is not correct. you really have to read the agreements. cardhub dug deep into the agreements on visa and mastercard debit cards. you can see the below info right on the websites in the fine print.

while visa and master card like to advertise their zero liability on debit cards the fine print in their terms says other wise.

"'if you use your PIN to process a Visa debit transaction, the $0 liability is only applied if the actual transaction is processed on the Visa network. If not, there is no liability limit. As CardHub points out, it’s nearly impossible for most consumers to know which network is processing any given card transaction.
And if your PIN is used fraudulently at the ATM, Visa states, “The liability is with the issuer.”

you will have to argue it out directly with the issuer of the card not visa and are subject to their decision.

as far as mastercard, zero liability is only true if::

“Your account is in good standing; You have exercised reasonable care in safeguarding your card from any unauthorized use. (Failure to register certain cards will be considered as not safeguarding your card.) Unauthorized use means that you did not provide, directly, by implication or otherwise, the right to use your card and you received no benefit from the ‘unauthorized’ purchase; – You have not reported two or more unauthorized events in the past 12 months.”
With debit card purchases made using your PIN, MasterCard puts no limit on your liability. The same thing with ATM transactions where a PIN is used, however MasterCard does give each card issuer “the discretion to establish its own policy regarding cardholder liability, in compliance with the law. The issuer will outline its policy in the cardholder agreement, and provide information about how the cardholder can report a lost or stolen card or a transaction that the cardholder did not authorize.”

just what does safe guarding your card mean? there is no definition. does getting gas at a gas station in a seedy part of town mean they can say you didn't safeguard your card? to vague for my comfort.

that is alot of fine print where you are liable compared to a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance