Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

It's not rude. As many have said, you should have deducted that money as soon as you wrote the check.
Perhaps they are too busy to go to the bank right away. If it's a service, they probably have other clients scheduled and might not have had time to make it to the bank. Or their bank is further away and they only go there once a month perhaps. There are many reasons for not depositing a check right away and should be of no concern to the one writing it as, once again, that money should be considered gone as soon as you write the check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I don't think it's rude, but I do prefer that checks I write are cashed right away. The reason for that is that since everything is electronic, I rarely write checks anymore. And since everything is electronic, I don't write down transactions in a checkbook register like I used to. Instead, the first thing I do when I get to my desk in the morning is check my bank account balances and look at any transactions that cleared overnight and see what is still pending. The only thing NOT showing is any checks that are out. So I make a mental note when I write a check and write it on my calendar too, so I remember I have a check out there that will be coming in.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Sorry, but it is rude to hold checks for weeks or months without cashing them. It should be done within a month at the latest. The person who wrote the check should not have to carry forward an uncleared transaction month after month. I had a check that did not clear my husband's office account for over six months. It was exasperating. I do keep a register in QuickBooks.

For those of you who just do not like having to go to the bank, just mail it in, for goodness sakes.

I still keep a handwritten register for our personal checking, recording debit card transactions and electronic transfers for monthly bills as well as checks. All accounts are monitored online and formally reconciled once a month.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
For those of you who have kept saying I should have deducted the money right away and that it's no longer mine can you please cite exactly where I said I didn't understand that? I see quite a few people still are making that leap that I don't understand that.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
people should learn how to balance a checkbook if they're that worried about this
just because someone gets a check doesn't mean they're gonna immediately run off to the bank to deposit it
before apps came out that let you deposit checks to your phone i would go to the bank once a week or so and deposit checks then. i wasn't gonna waste time going every singe time i got a check.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

rickey henderson doesn't think it's rude

Rickey Henderson confirms a weird and funny story

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I believe this is a fairly relative issue.

My bank's nearest branch is 50 miles from where I live. It seems to me that it would be more irresponsible and foolish to make a special trip in order to deposit a check.

exactly
if someone doesn't have a lot of money and wants to make sure their bills get paid then deposit it right when you get it.otherwise going out of your way, spending gas and time to deposit one check instead of just waiting a few days until you have to go to the bank any or happen to pass by the bank is foolish.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
exactly
if someone doesn't have a lot of money and wants to make sure their bills get paid then deposit it right when you get it.otherwise going out of your way, spending gas and time to deposit one check instead of just waiting a few days until you have to go to the bank any or happen to pass by the bank is foolish.
Check, endorsed for deposit only to the account in which you wish the funds to be placed.
Deposit slip for your bank account.
Envelope.*
First class stamp.*
Put check and deposit slip in envelope, address to your bank, and affix stamp.
Place in your mailbox.
Raise flag.
Never leave home.
Check is cashed, money in your account.

*Your bank may even provide addressed, postage paid envelopes for you to send them deposits.

A 'few days" is not rude. Holding a check for weeks is.

And if you have a smart phone, your bank probably has an app that will let you deposit the check electronically.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
people should learn how to balance a checkbook if they're that worried about this
just because someone gets a check doesn't mean they're gonna immediately run off to the bank to deposit it
before apps came out that let you deposit checks to your phone i would go to the bank once a week or so and deposit checks then. i wasn't gonna waste time going every singe time i got a check.
Once again, I'm going repeat. What does this have to do with balancing a checkbook? Some of you really need to learn how to read.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I think it is rude not to cash a check within 60 days.

I get tired of having to carry forward that check month after month.

Once my brother didn't cash a check I had given him for several months.....I finally called him and told him I was going to stop payment if he didn't cash it.

And yes, it is foolish to let a check lay around for months without cashing it......by the time you get around to it.....you never know what could have happened. Money spent, account closed or payment stopped.

When I don't want to make a trip to the bank to cash a check.....I mail it to the bank along with a deposit slip..... endorsed "For Deposit Only". Never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance