Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 AM

10,230 posts, read 13,737,164 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this belongs on this forum or not, but I'm just curious what you all think. I wrote a check a week ago for cleaning services and it still has not been deposited. Does anyone else think it is rude to not deposit a check right away? I've always thought if you are providing a service and the person is paying you the least you could do is deposit the check right away. If you don't need the money I could use it.

This isn't asking for advice, just curious what the rest of you think about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,084,990 times
Look at the rules for deposit and clearing a check and also terms of purchase and returns. Somewhere in small print will say, processing will take up to 30 days. You need to read the fine print.

Now, I wrote a check to a girl who had gotten a table for everyone for this charity event. I gave her my check and this dumb beosh calls me weeks later to tell me she lost the check in a bar in Michigan when she went to the Ohio State Michigan game. Now, that pissed me off royally. WTF are you carrying around a check in your purse for over a week and then get it stolen in a bar and how is this my problem?

I quit using checks for services like you speak of and use a credit card or my debit card. Those get processed immediately. Writing checks takes more manpower to handle and clear and is getting to be an antiquated method of payment.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM

7,213 posts, read 6,981,525 times
No, it's not rude. Maybe they deposit all checks on a schedule.

Frankly, once you've paid then that money is gone. It's not yours anymore and you cannot 'use' it. If you balance your checkbook correctly then you know how much money you really have and the money you paid to the service has been deducted from you balance.

As an accountant I actually find your question irritating. It doesn't sound as if you know how to manage your finances.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 AM

22,249 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Maybe they only do deposits for their business twice a month.
Maybe once a month.

It should not matter to you HOW they run their business, as you are done with the matter upon payment.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
...This isn't asking for advice, just curious what the rest of you think about this.
It rarely happens to me, especially nowadays when I use direct debit. But as for checks. I buy a product or a service, I write the check and as far as I am concerned the money no longer exists.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM

6,870 posts, read 7,814,087 times
Why would this be rude? You are keeping that money in your acct for extra time so what is the harm? If you had interest bearing accts this would actually be beneficial to you (I realize no one has interest on checking anymore)

Clearly you aren't going to forget that this money has already been spent. Trust your check register or online bank statements and don't worry about it.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe they only do deposits for their business twice a month.
Maybe once a month.

It should not matter to you HOW they run their business, as you are done with the matter upon payment.
They probably have a set schedule for recording and depositing the checks/money.

Once you write the check just consider the money gone.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Does anyone else think it is rude to not deposit a check right away?
Not rude. Irresponsible and foolish.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,157,369 times
Once you write the check the money should be considered gone and deducted from the available amount you have to spend. A week or even a month is not unreasonable.

I will say, my sister-in-law kept a check of ours for over six months and when she finally cashed it I was surprised to be $750 short on the balance of my checking account that I had looked at the day before. I had long forgot about the check at that point and luckily we keep enough in our checking that $750 didn't affect us but I felt that wasn't cool of her at the time.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
NCN

21,658 posts, read 25,493,558 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this belongs on this forum or not, but I'm just curious what you all think. I wrote a check a week ago for cleaning services and it still has not been deposited. Does anyone else think it is rude to not deposit a check right away? I've always thought if you are providing a service and the person is paying you the least you could do is deposit the check right away. If you don't need the money I could use it.

This isn't asking for advice, just curious what the rest of you think about this.
We used to sometimes have to wait 6 months or more to finalize a check we gave to our daughter-in-law for Christmas. Finally discovered it was her way of making sure the present stayed hers. When she deposited the money it would end up in "their" bank account.

Have no idea what your person's reason is but you might want to call and ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance