Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I never got why people sink so much money into rings and weddings. Why not put that money into paying off a house. A paid for house makes for a much smoother relationship imo. The number one reason couples argue is over money. If you can afford to have a lavish ring and wedding then go for it. But most people go into debt over lavish weddings. I think big weddings and big rings do not represent a couples love but are more about ego and vanity.
Maybe because there's more to life than just trying to get over all your necessary debts. Why get cable when you can watch regular tv? Why buy good food when you can just go to mcdonalds for cheap?

Everything in moderation.

As people say, act your wage. No sense in buying an expensive ring if uou don't have the financial backing for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Aww, too bad, so sad. I'm a woman, and I can tell you that some men are not a great catch, either.
not disputing that. most men suck, myself included

Quote:
My husband ran up over $39,000 in credit card debts on purchases for himself plus a $15,000 truck loan debt while I was paying the lion's share of household bills and home improvements. That's why I divorced him.
there are always exceptions to the rule

Quote:
And I NEVER would date a man who already had children, because I have none and I don't want to be saddled with other people's children, bills, and slopwork.
and i would never date a woman with children. at least we've got that in common

Quote:
So move on, and let people enjoy their fine jewelry and their marriages without your chitty attitude, pal.
not sure where you're going with this butthurt laced rant

Quote:
It seems that every time the topic of engagement rings is brought up on this board, every one is bashing the women for being "materialistic."
please find where i bashed women for being materialistic in this thread

Quote:
Some women enjoy superb jewelry. Some, like me, have paid for all of it themselves. Some men enjoy giving expensive fine jewelry as gifts. If you don't happen to approve, people, NOBODY CARES.
b-b-but isn't the point of this site is to express opinions about things like these? you obviously do care if you're replying to me directly

Quote:
If you think it's a foolish purchase, who cares.
ffs, most people in the thread think it's a foolish purchase. why am i getting singled out? i dont really care since it is not my finances. i wasnt even aware that engagement rings could get that expensive. that **** cray

Quote:
It's not like the general public gets to vote on what this couple does.
that would be nice though, or something to that effect. i wonder what north korea is like...

Quote:
Maybe the bride has a nice nestegg set aside. Maybe she earns decent money, too. We're not all baby-breedin' housewives anymore.
did i say anything like that? talk about making false assumptions

you seem very angry. have you considered finding a man that will not take you to the cleaners? you cant undo the past, so why are you taking it out on me?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 31,564 times
You cannot not get a good wife if you don't spend at least 15-20k on a ring? Are you serious? If I have to spend 15-20K dollars on a ring to get a good wife then I would rather spend $3 on ring for a bad wife any day. One thing I have to give it up to my wife is that she is very sensible with money. We had a $3,500 wedding and I gave her a $1,500 ring. Nothing extravagant but decent. 2 years after that we were able to put a sizeable amount for a down payment on a house and help her father with paying the rent when he fell sick. Do you think we would ever be able to accomplish that if I spent 20K on wedding ring and 30K on a wedding? At this point and time, I would still be paying off that ring and have yet to put a dent on the wedding. People lets get real. Why put yourself into financial distress even before you guys have jumped the broom?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven2160 View Post
You cannot not get a good wife if you don't spend at least 15-20k on a ring? Are you serious? If I have to spend 15-20K dollars on a ring to get a good wife then I would rather spend $3 on ring for a bad wife any day. One thing I have to give it up to my wife is that she is very sensible with money. We had a $3,500 wedding and I gave her a $1,500 ring. Nothing extravagant but decent. 2 years after that we were able to put a sizeable amount for a down payment on a house and help her father with paying the rent when he fell sick. Do you think we would ever be able to accomplish that if I spent 20K on wedding ring and 30K on a wedding? At this point and time, I would still be paying off that ring and have yet to put a dent on the wedding. People lets get real. Why put yourself into financial distress even before you guys have jumped the broom?
I agree... if you can't get a good wife without a $20-30K wedding ring, there's something REALLY wrong with your relationship.

I think my wife would be fine with anything - even one that is $200.

That said, everything has to be appropriately proportioned IMO. If you're going to have a $20K ring, you should have no problem with an $80K wedding.

Otherwise, you're not acting your wage. $20K ring and $20K wedding? That means you stretched to get the ring and you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons. Flash without substance.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 PM

306 posts, read 657,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
My colleague also told me that he thinks I could not get a good wife if I don't spend at least 15-20k on a ring.
when I get married my ring will be not more than $2k and my wedding not to exceed $10k and that's me being generous. If a woman does not agree to this then I will dump her right then and there.

I refuse to give my money to a rigged industry that inflates prices 3x-4x just because they know these imbeciles and morons will pay it. In essence what is a wedding? It's no more than a celebration/party with a proclamation by a minister. Do you think a 1-day party should cost $20,000 or $30,000? This is downright ridiculous! Do you think something like a token - a ring, that has no utility value should cost $15k, 20k or whatever? It is the utmost waste of money.

If you have obscene amounts of money piled up and have no other priorities to deal with then by all means indulge in these lavish expenses but for most people it is outrageous and downright irresponsible to be spending these kinds of sums when they have other financial priorities like raising kids, saving for a home and other bills etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
when I get married my ring will be not more than $2k and my wedding not to exceed $10k and that's me being generous. If a woman does not agree to this then I will dump her right then and there.

I refuse to give my money to a rigged industry that inflates prices 3x-4x just because they know these imbeciles and morons will pay it. In essence what is a wedding? It's no more than a celebration/party with a proclamation by a minister. Do you think a 1-day party should cost $20,000 or $30,000? This is downright ridiculous! Do you think something like a token - a ring, that has no utility value should cost $15k, 20k or whatever? It is the utmost waste of money.

If you have obscene amounts of money piled up and have no other priorities to deal with then by all means indulge in these lavish expenses but for most people it is outrageous and downright irresponsible to be spending these kinds of sums when they have other financial priorities like raising kids, saving for a home and other bills etc.
Just depends. If you have the means and you value that 1 day.. then you'll spend what you think is appropriate. What's appropriate for me is probably not appropriate for you.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
The most I would ever spend on a ring is probably $2,000. Even then, I'd wonder why I was spending $2,000 on a ring. I have heard (through my wife) that some women don't just expect, but demand, a certain dollar value for a ring. That's fine if someone wants to pay that, but really, are you getting married to get a ring, or is the ring not just a symbol - be it $1 or $1M... *shrugs*

A ring is a TOKEN of something far more precious - THE RELATIONSHIP!!! Anyone who demands a certain value of ring must be viewed with the utmost suspicion as a certain type of ring is only demanded with the motive of showing up that item to their girlfriends. This sort of materialism is a recipe for DISASTER.

A ring has no utility value, it's purely a luxury item. $2,000 for a luxury item to be worn on a finger is more than adequate.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Just depends. If you have the means and you value that 1 day.. then you'll spend what you think is appropriate. What's appropriate for me is probably not appropriate for you.
Just because it's appropriate to you does not make it a smart financial decision in the general sense if you have other more important financial priorities. Most people want to raise kids, they want to buy a home, they want to pursue other interests etc. $20k saved on a wedding can be better used to pay off debts - cars, home etc. or save for kids college and bills etc. Most people just DO NOT have the luxury of spending that kind of cash on a 1 day affair.

IF you are willing to FOREGO other goals and spend money on your wedding instead then go for it but most people do not want to do that. They want it all, which is ridiculous. They want the ring, they want the lavish wedding, they want the lavish honeymoon, the big house, big family, nice cars, vacations etc. and then they struggle to pay for it. They are nothing but FOOLS.

As I said, if you have loads of cash, house paid off etc. then by all means go for it. But most people do not have two nickels to rub together and yet want to spend $20k or $30k on a wedding. Those people are nothing but FOOLS.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Just because it's appropriate to you does not make it a smart financial decision in the general sense if you have other more important financial priorities. Most people want to raise kids, they want to buy a home, they want to pursue other interests etc. $20k saved on a wedding can be better used to pay off debts - cars, home etc. or save for kids college and bills etc. Most people just DO NOT have the luxury of spending that kind of cash on a 1 day affair.

IF you are willing to FOREGO other goals and spend money on your wedding instead then go for it but most people do not want to do that. They want it all, which is ridiculous. They want the ring, they want the lavish wedding, they want the lavish honeymoon, the big house, big family, nice cars, vacations etc. and then they struggle to pay for it. They are nothing but FOOLS.

As I said, if you have loads of cash, house paid off etc. then by all means go for it. But most people do not have two nickels to rub together and yet want to spend $20k or $30k on a wedding. Those people are nothing but FOOLS.
Spending any money outside of general necessities gets lumped into this category... it's called miscellaneous luxury. It's not a need... it's a want.

Being appropriate or not - it has nothing to do with whether it's a good financial move. It's NOT a smart financial move regardless if the person finds the celebration or the ring appropriate or not.

But if I find it appropriate for my situation, then it's appropriate. I just have to stomach the fact that I actually used the money I earned for something other than kids, house, debt. I guess there's more to life than those big 3.

Sometimes there's more important things than just getting by.

That said - I AGREE with you.... most people are FOOLS and want everything when they don't even have any money.

Last edited by pinipig523; 12-06-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Some people are saying that every decision that a person made for himself/herself is valid and other people have to respect it? When someone foolishly makes his/her future a lot harder than it should be (spend all the down payment money on a stupid ring), still everyone must smile anyway?
I think political correctness is bad.
It might feel offensive for those people making foolish decision to be judged, but I think it is also offensive to others around you when you are defending stupidity. It is like having a drug addict relative, also not valid. Go common sense Go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance