Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The fact remains that some people's insurance premiums are going up. That has nothing to do with whether 26 year olds being on their parents' insurance is considered part of the ACA.
Yes, but they're going up for multiple reasons. And YES, if you're blaming the ACA for everything (which apparently you are, because if your husband works for a "small business" with under 50 employees, then they are NOT required to provide coverage under the ACA, so the ACA would not be directly responsible for the increase in the employee contribution to the cost of the health insurance coverage), then part of it almost definitely IS because "26 year olds can be on their parents' insurance", because that's an additional cost that insurance companies have to accomodate in their overall structure.

So guess what, other people are now subsidizing you. Maybe we should have them start threads on forums to gripe about that and complain? "Why don't you people with 20-something kids have them out on their own?"

Everybody loves to b*tch about how THEY are supporting all "those" people while ignoring the areas where they're getting supported by someone else.

Heck, somewhere in heaven Isaac Newton is looking down and laughing, because all of us today are "takers" riding off his jockstrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
he doesn't mind us taking that ride at all. why he is just nuts over us.

wasn't he the guy that came up with newtons law? one fig to a cookie ,wasn't it?

Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Yes, but they're going up for multiple reasons. And YES, if you're blaming the ACA for everything (which apparently you are, because if your husband works for a "small business" with under 50 employees, then they are NOT required to provide coverage under the ACA, so the ACA would not be directly responsible for the increase in the employee contribution to the cost of the health insurance coverage), then part of it almost definitely IS because "26 year olds can be on their parents' insurance", because that's an additional cost that insurance companies have to accomodate in their overall structure.

So guess what, other people are now subsidizing you. Maybe we should have them start threads on forums to gripe about that and complain? "Why don't you people with 20-something kids have them out on their own?"

Everybody loves to b*tch about how THEY are supporting all "those" people while ignoring the areas where they're getting supported by someone else.

Heck, somewhere in heaven Isaac Newton is looking down and laughing, because all of us today are "takers" riding off his jockstrap.
Small business, more than 50 employees.

And my kids are out on their own. They are still entitled, under the law, to be on our insurance if their employer doesn't offer it. And their employers don't.

No one is subsidizing me, and no one has ever subsidized me.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 PM

So if your kids would typically be paying for their own policies pre obamacare who do you think is picking up the slack now on all those missing premiums that are no longer coming in from them?

Any guesses?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So if your kids would typically be paying for their own policies pre obamacare who do you think is picking up the slack now on all those missing premiums that are no longer coming in from them?

Any guesses?
Well, since my husband and I are paying for family health insurance, WE are (along with his employer), the same as we were when they were younger and before the law that they could stay on our health insurance until age 26. Nothing changed except they are allowed to stay on longer. That's just health insurance; we pay a separate premium for dental.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 PM

thats the point, you are still paying what you were while covering someone you shouldn't have been under the old system. . to the insurer the premiums at this point should be yours plus plus theirs.. that is more than just family rate which you were paying..

insurance companies have factored that lost revenue into all our rates. we have no kids on our policies and our couple rates include extra increases to cover that missing revenue.

we are all paying additional increases to make up for the fact they are not collecting seperate premiums on those additional years that are now covered under family that were not.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-13-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Just found out it will go up $300 a month, from $500 to $800, for family coverage. Thanks, Obama!
Interesting, mine went up 12.00 a month but it is a slightly better plan. perhaps you should shop around better.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Interesting, mine went up 12.00 a month but it is a slightly better plan. perhaps you should shop around better.
It's through my husband's employer. No one is going to find a better plan on their own than they will find with a group.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
I work for a Fortune 50 company (yes I meant 50) and our costs went up 20% year over year and the out of pocket max almost doubled. For my 90/10 POS plan, the annual cost for my wife and me is $3,300. Still a good plan, not complaining.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Small business, more than 50 employees.

And my kids are out on their own. They are still entitled, under the law, to be on our insurance if their employer doesn't offer it. And their employers don't.

No one is subsidizing me, and no one has ever subsidized me.
You paid $500 a month (thru this year) for a family insurance plan and no one has ever subsidized you?

Just what kind of health insurance do you currently have? And how is it different than the plan you've been offered for 2014?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance