Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm just curious to know if people do this and why?

Is it a status thing? Do people feel pressured to buy the "latest" (fill in the blank)?
I think a lot of it is unconscious. People unconsciously compare themselves to others at the same economic level and base their consumption on that. Problem is that a fair number of the Joneses are broke, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think a lot of it is unconscious. People unconsciously compare themselves to others at the same economic level and base their consumption on that. Problem is that a fair number of the Joneses are broke, too.

I think you mean 'subconscious'.....

But, your point is taken.

As an add-on, if you're broke or going into debt to purchase something that isn't a necessity but more of a status symbol, well, you have both a problem with spending and the compounding problem of poor personal financial management.

I know people do this but it's just plain stupid.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
I am the jones.

there is always a certain amount of status symbol buying. i see it mainly with women but its clearly not limited to them.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I think you mean 'subconscious'.....

But, your point is taken.
Hmmm. Well I guess I do mean subconscious because we are all influenced on a subconscious level by the environment around us. You really can't completely get away from the effects of advertising and mass media, although you can limit your exposure.

But I also mean unconscious in a sort of spiritual way...in that the person does not consciously think about their own values and goals in life and just goes along with the default program of consumerism that is laid out for us by the mass media.

So I guess I mean both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
As an add-on, if you're broke or going into debt to purchase something that isn't a necessity but more of a status symbol, well, you have both a problem with spending and the compounding problem of poor personal financial management.

I know people do this but it's just plain stupid.
Yes, it is stupid. Humans are not rational creatures.

One more factor at play: If you perceived yourself to be among the poorer half of your peers you went to school with, you are more likely to overspend as an adult to try to make up for that. Of course, it doesn't work, but people do it.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times
Though I've done this in the past - I can honestly say that I'm less inclined to do so nowadays.

Not because I don't like fine things - but my mentality these days is that I can afford to keep up with the Jones' if I really wanted to, and this alone gives me solace. The ability to do so without actually having to do so is enough for me.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
I'm fascinated by WHY people WANT to buy the things they do. I also agree that consumerism is advertising driven.

A person who doesn't see or isn't exposed to much advertising, likely isn't 'consuming/purchasing' as much as someone who sees a lot of ads and commercials. It's the same reason many people, including myself try to stay out of stores. I CAN be an impulse buyer. IF I happen to see something, I may want it. Now, the truth is I wasn't thinking about this thing, didn't need this item, wasn't shopping for the item -- BUT I saw it. it's cute, I can afford it so why not.

Most people probably don't by an item BECAUSE someone else has it (to keep up with anyone). They buy it because they SEE it -- whether because a neighbor/coworker/friend has it -- or they saw it in an ad......they like it, want it, and then they buy it. Not too much deep psychology there.*

I can't tell you the number of times I wasn't even thinking about going shopping. But I'm spending the day with a friend who has to return something to TJ MAXX or Ross. And I look around while they're talking care of their business. MOST times I don't impulse buy. But SOMEtimes I do. Now, I didn't HAVE to look around, and go see what they have. I CHOSE to, KNOWING I MIGHT see something that might catch my eye. I'm actually NOT looking for something to buy. I really do like just seeing what's out there and available. But IF you look there is the CHANCE you'll see something you find interesting. Some people get their shopping jones fulfilled at thrift shops. That way they can buy, and keep the spending amount less than it otherwise might be.

Then of course you have hoarders -- or people who just like shopping...and even shopaholics ...aah, but WHY are they like that? There's some DEEP psychology here.*

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
In my opinion, the term "keep up" implies that they are struggling to try to be equal. With that being said, I think its really about people buying things to be better than EVERYONE else.

I see it all around Chicago. People must have the best of something in order to feel like they are somehow more worthy of success. To me, a shirt that performs good functionally is all I want. Sometimes functionality does mimic cost, other times it makes no difference.

For example, I bought a nice set of stainless steel calphalon pots and pans. I bought SS because it lasts forever and you put them in the oven etc. Now, could I have found a cheaper set? Sure. But it may not have cooked as well as this set. So the extra cost is worth it to me.

On the other hand, a lot of women I know including my GF spend hundreds on purses to be fashionable. I go along with it if that's how she chooses to spend her discretionary income. I spend mine on video games, which again performs a function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance