Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 AM

67 posts, read 80,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why do you keep arguing points we don't know the answer to?

you argue the opinions of others like you have an insight into the future and know how it will turn out.

you certainly are entitled to your opinion but to argue other opinions that don't agree with yours about things that have not happened is just nuts.
Do you even understand the total hypocrisy in the statements you've just made? Look in the mirror and stop projecting. Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
as you say" do you even understand"

my projections are my opinions. I don't argue with everyone because I don't agree with an opinion in the future. I may see things differently but over and over I state it is only my opinion.

you on the other hand attack those who disagree. it appears you like to argue just to argue.

I don't think you have one post here where you are not telling someone they are wrong and your view is right , attacking them or insulting their opinion.

from some of the replies you got I am not the only one who sees it.
just sayin!

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-17-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
It sounds like you'll be fine, which of course you already know. *I* certainly wouldn't worry. You'll have time to work, if something seems particularly appealing, and earn extra money if you're in need or want of it.

People are so wedded to the idea that if you're not making a lot of money and remaining obedient to societal norms, you'll eventually be unhappy. Those people need to read Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau, if they can squeeze in the time to read a 99-cent book from Goodwill.

Personally, we're not saving money for retirement. We're setting up a life for ourselves that makes having money less and less pertinent to maintaining the lifestyle we want. People scrimp and save and take risks on the market in order to spend money on things to keep them alive when they're old... when they could just invest in things that will eliminate and/or severely decrease any future need to spend it at all.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Sure you can do every single thing that needs to be done to your house yourself.

But then your retirement time is actually spent working.

You switched careers to maintaince man is what changed.

Between maintaince,longer term projects,gardening,snow removal ,painting and preventive maintaince i could have been busy every day on my homes.

Most folks just end up letting things go until they can't anymore but the fact is doing things yourself is still working.
But those are GOOD things to some people. I would be so agitated about paying someone else to do work I CAN do that it would completely ruin the satisfaction of it being done. The people you pay to do something didn't, at one time, know how to do it either. With free time to research and a small amount of money and materials (FAR below what a professional would charge) to invest in your own education of how to fix/build something (heck with the time to ask a professional if you can work for free for a while, just so you can observe and learn), it's very easy to not spend that money. That's precisely what your time is FOR, in that lifestyle. And then, not only do you never have to pay someone else to do it again, but neither do those you know... because they know a guy/gal who knows how. And can pay them to do it if they don't have the time.

This type of lifestyle is about investing in oneself.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Exactly. I'm sure all of us could have blown $200 on drinks many times in our lives, but did we? Most likely no. It's not about not being able to afford it. I could win the lotto tomorrow and never spend $200 on drinks.

As far as food, I have no problem eating on an average of $11/day. Should I be eating steak and lobster every day?
We spend about $400/month on 2 adults and 3 children (9, 8, and 7 years old.) You're fine. Single? I could eat very healthfully for maybe $150/month, most of that being produce from our local farmer's market which is, admittedly, fantastically cheap. Then there's gardening, which is much less labor intensive than people always think... again, working themselves up over an idea, rather than a reality.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Live off $20,000 a year and buy a house? Who are you kidding? In what tiny town do you live in? How is someone going to buy a house when they make just over $10 an hour? Seriously?

For people making that kind of money, they aren't going to have a home to call their own. So, that "cushy" 9k you just talked about goes right in to their rent. If they are lucky, they will have about $1000 left over each year. Of course, that is barring any UNFORSEEN CIRCUMSTANCES like car accident, health issues, ("free" healthcare does NOT cover time missed from work), car dying, fires, floods, ice storms, etc.

And what age do you have to be to get car insurance for $60 a month? What sticks must you live in to get prices like that?

Sorry, that is not reality for most people. It may work for a few, but not most.
We have two cars with full comp.&coll. for $82/month. When we had only one with full coverage, it was $54. When we had one car, a 12 year-old wagon so we only put collision on it, it was $33/month. This is in Syracuse, NY.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
I wonder if the posters that live the simple life do it out of choice, or out of necessity.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 AM

I don't understand what all the fuss about working/not working is about... you can bust your a$$ every day and not be issued a paycheck for it. It is STILL working. The fact that it's the kind of work (for self, for barter, for self-education) that cannot be taxed is exactly, imo, as it should be.

But I have not and will not sign up for Obamacare. We're healthy now and when something happens, being good friends with physicians (drawn to your lifestyle because they don't have the time to do it themselves) is a winning solution. Barter. I do work they don't have time for... they take care of me when I have strep throat and need amoxycillin. Look in mouth>see spots>write prescription... which can be filled for $4 or free, depending on which pharmacy you use. Tax-free, bureacracy-free, voluntary-ful barter. It's a beautiful thing. Opt OUT of the norm. It's cheaper and more fulfilling... if that's your thing. Private exchange, free of gov. regulation, is astoundingly cheap... and know one knows it more than medical professionals, no matter how much they protest. They have their salaries and gov.-subsidied budgets to protect.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Supporting a family on $20k is possible, but that requires my wife not working. My GF is perfectly fine with me not working. She gets to work and not worry about the bulk of living expenses (rent, utilities). It's a win win. Her savings is as big as ever since meeting me. Do you believe she should feel jealousy toward me being retired?
If your girlfriend turns into your wife and continues to work then you are not actually living on 20k/yr anymore are you? That really changes the premise of the entire OP. Living on 20k/yr would constitute your girlfriend quiting her job if/when she moves in with you and until then not contributing a dime to your relationship.

Me and you have different definitions of work, it is quite clear. By your definition I get paid to invest in my well being. I do literally exactly what I went to school for in the exact area I want to be in. So if school is not considered work to you, then how can you consider my job work?

Quote:
And considering a kid is in school until ~3pm starting at 4 yrs old (or sometimes 3), I would definitely say someone staying at home "with the kid" is retired. Regardless, spending your time with your child shouldn't be looked at as job - more like an investment in their well being.
And again, I would like to hear a stay at home mom's response to the bolded. Do you consider yourself retired when your kids start school? I know many SAHMs that would laugh in your face.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 01-17-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
Totally agreed with that bolded comment. I'd say that the hardest JOB ever is to be a stay at home parent because you're "on the clock" for 24 hours with no pay. Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I don't understand what all the fuss about working/not working is about... you can bust your a$$ every day and not be issued a paycheck for it. It is STILL working. The fact that it's the kind of work (for self, for barter, for self-education) that cannot be taxed is exactly, imo, as it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance